Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 18th March 2009

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Talking Scarce Bird Find

Spotted and photographed a Twite at Farlington Marshes. A rare find in Hampshire. Reported it to the British Birds register and it will be included in the 2009 report.

This is a first for me on two counts - First time I have seen this bird and first time I have been able to report a rarety.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 18th March 2009
MarkVarley

Re: Scarce Bird Find

I'm shooting the 'greater spotted naked bird' most days of the week at the moment, I do kinda miss the pace of wildlife work :-)
Old 19th March 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Wow Peter, you don't see or hear of many Twite any more. In fact I had totally forgotten about the species until you posted this.

Great shot for your library collection is that one.

Old 19th March 2009

Thanks John.
The Twite numbers are in decline due to the loss of flowering meadows. They rely on seeds being available throughout the year. In Hampshire, this is a scarce bird.
Cheers
Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 19th March 2009
tlove

Well spotted Peter !

I read about your good luck on another (wildlife) site which I also subscribe to, and meant to congratulate you then, but that photo is superb, it really is!!

Congratulations, well done and well spotted indeed!
Old 19th March 2009

Thanks Thea

Any news re your Bigma yet?

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 19th March 2009
tlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Thanks Thea

Any news re your Bigma yet?

Peter
Hi Peter.

Not quite sure how to say this - my husband phoned them Tuesday. Answer? 'The technician is still looking into it' (which I take to mean, 'haven't got a clue what's wrong with it'). We've told them the exact symptoms, which point to a problem with the focusing motor (it can't focus, basically).

I don't know wether to laugh or cry really. That answer your question ?
Old 19th March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlove View Post
Hi Peter.

Not quite sure how to say this - my husband phoned them Tuesday. Answer? 'The technician is still looking into it' (which I take to mean, 'haven't got a clue what's wrong with it'). We've told them the exact symptoms, which point to a problem with the focusing motor (it can't focus, basically).

I don't know wether to laugh or cry really. That answer your question ?
Thea, I am sorry to hear that.
If I remember the sequence of events, you have had this problem since you bought the lens. It may be worth your while considering telling them money back or a NEW lens as a replacement. Might be worth phoning the Trading Standards people for advice - I usually do if I get into a rut with retail sales. Their advice is free.
I know this does not help you directly but yours is the first case I have seen with this problem. A new lens may fix it.
Another thing you could try is to try my Bigma on your camera. I could meet up with you or your husband to give it a whirl if you think that would help in any way.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 19th March 2009

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlove View Post
'The technician is still looking into it' (which I take to mean, 'haven't got a clue what's wrong with it').
Or they've lost it!
;^)

Jim
Old 20th March 2009
tlove

Thanks all:

Jim - Being the cynical person I am, I've come up with the following formula:

'The speed of repair is in direct proportion to the amount being paid for that repair'

Loosely translated means that, as this repair is under warranty, the need to get the repair done/problem sorted is not as great as for those paying for a repair to be done .

Peter - this is actually the second lens I've had from them . The first one was focusing very soft, with a pronounced blue fringe around the edges of images. It was Sigma themselves who told me to send it back (along with my E-3) after I emailed them some photos to show them the problem.

They had it 6 weeks first time round, and couldn't sort the problem so they sent me a 'new' one (the one currently back with them). This one doesn't seem able to focus properly (people keep looking at me to see where the clicking, grinding noise is coming from - pretty embarassing!), and it can't lock on, no matter what setting I put the camera on. So, my husband phoned and spoke to them and they said send it back.

Again the cynic in me says that I've not got a new one, but AndyM's old one which he sent back (focus motor problem)

The good news, though, is that I also have a Sigma 150mm macro which I bought just before Christmas (and had to think hard about doing, given the problems with the Bigma!), and I must say it's a lovely lens. I have no problem with it at all, and it produces lovely images .

We wait and see....