Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd July 2016

Liked 1,336 Times in 506 Posts
Pensions. Can I speak to a human please!

RANT MODE ON.

I get a brown envelope from the pensions people. "We notice you are getting on a bit and are eligible for a Government Pension soon"

OK, so it turns out the default setting for pensions is "I don't want my pension" and you have to actually apply for it. You can do it on line. Excellent, I will do that.

A nice simple set of web pages. Name, date of birth, national insurance number, address. This is all going rather well. Enter your Government Gateway ID and password (what?...)

I see. You should have told me that back on page one. So I go to create a Gateway ID for myself. Same questions, name, DoB etc etc.

It has a long think.

"We can't retrieve your information, you have to do this by phone." It also says if the process fails press the Return button.

(Ahem. You lot wrote to me using my name, my address, my national insurance number and you clearly know my date of birth so don't tell me I don't exist on your system)

There isn't one, just a continue button.

I click continue. "Congratulations Mr blank you have registered ... etc etc) Again, "if the process was not successful, press the return button to find the phone number you will need to register".

There is no return button.

Is it me?

Is the government trying to keep me from my pension perhaps.

I paid all your stupid tax for years and years while you wasted it on pointless projects and failed to mend the roads. Now I want my pension please.

Grrr.

RANT MOD OFF.

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (23rd July 2016), pandora (22nd July 2016)
Old 22nd July 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Pensions. Can I speak to a human please!

I feel for you... I get similar irritation with my correspondence from HMRC.

Q. How soon before one's 65 should an individual expect to receive a similar 'brown' envelope?

on flickr
Old 22nd July 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I feel for you... I get similar irritation with my correspondence from HMRC.

Q. How soon before one's 65 should an individual expect to receive a similar 'brown' envelope?
Without giving my date of birth away.. :-) about 4 months.

Old 22nd July 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Without giving my date of birth away.. :-) about 4 months.
Haha, I'm reasonable at maths but useless with arithmetic, so your secret is safe with me

As I understand things, the government provides an opportunity for individuals to defer their pension, and by doing so they get an increased payment when they start drawing. Clearly it's in the governments interest to defer for as long as possible, with a thank you note pinned to the bunch of flowers for your funeral.

on flickr
Naughty Nigel (22nd July 2016), snaarman (22nd July 2016)
Old 22nd July 2016

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

You have passed the test if you can fill it in you are to young as you understand computers. Expect cheque in post but the banks will not cash it as you are not registered on their system and you can only register if you can get a teenager to to vouch for you and you bring a pension book which you get after cashing your first pension cheque.

Wee Man

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Grumpy Hec (23rd July 2016), pandora (22nd July 2016), snaarman (22nd July 2016)
Old 22nd July 2016

Liked 2,403 Times in 1,583 Posts

It isn't just HMRC. Nobody wants to speak to consumers these days.

They can take our money in milliseconds, but just try to speak to a human being to return a faulty item or request a refund.

Worse still, outfits like Amazon sell cheap Chinese goods which are downright dangerous. (We recently bought a camping stove that produces dangerous quantities of CO.)
You can send them back for a refund, but it is impossible to speak to anyone to warn them that the item could kill!

At least HMRC provides a phone number. Many businesses no longer provide phone numbers. If you are lucky enough to find one the chances are the number will have been changed, or you will be kept on hold for an hour or more whilst listening to awful hold music, and that ubiquitous message "we are experiencing unusually high call volumes - your call is important to us, please hold."

Eventually you are put through to 'John' or 'Susan' at a call centre in Mumbai. John/Susan pretend to have very poor English, and tell you they don't have the authority to authorise a refund or take any other action. They then close by asking "is there anything else I can help you with today!"

Welcome to the 21st century.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
pandora (22nd July 2016)
Old 22nd July 2016

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

65 will become 66, 67, 68............. in the near future! Even mine (and I am 62 at the mo), is slightly beyond my 65th birthday.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 22nd July 2016

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
RANT MODE ON.

I get a brown envelope from the pensions people. "We notice you are getting on a bit and are eligible for a Government Pension soon"

OK, so it turns out the default setting for pensions is "I don't want my pension" and you have to actually apply for it. You can do it on line. Excellent, I will do that.

A nice simple set of web pages. Name, date of birth, national insurance number, address. This is all going rather well. Enter your Government Gateway ID and password (what?...)

I see. You should have told me that back on page one. So I go to create a Gateway ID for myself. Same questions, name, DoB etc etc.

It has a long think.

"We can't retrieve your information, you have to do this by phone." It also says if the process fails press the Return button.

(Ahem. You lot wrote to me using my name, my address, my national insurance number and you clearly know my date of birth so don't tell me I don't exist on your system)

There isn't one, just a continue button.

I click continue. "Congratulations Mr blank you have registered ... etc etc) Again, "if the process was not successful, press the return button to find the phone number you will need to register".

There is no return button.

Is it me?

Is the government trying to keep me from my pension perhaps.

I paid all your stupid tax for years and years while you wasted it on pointless projects and failed to mend the roads. Now I want my pension please.

Grrr.

RANT MOD OFF.

Pete
I had forgotten all the fun I had with that.

When you do get your pension your will receive payments every four weeks, not monthly. I asked my MP why I couldn't receive payments monthly, as is the case with my occupational pension and most of my outgoings. He enquired and was told that they couldn't possibly cope with that. So, we have tossers, utter tossers and those who operate the state pension scheme.

Harold
Grumpy Hec (23rd July 2016)
Old 22nd July 2016

Thanked 1,128 Times in 705 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

Sometimes even speaking to a person isn't much better. My next-door neighbour works at HMRC at Washington - the one in the UK - and I asked if it were possible to get me some forms referencing pension pot cash-in as I need a magnifying glass to read normal sized print..

Three guesses to the answer and the first two don't count?

Given that UK on-line fraud is now at an all time high, I'm not all that convinced that HMG should be allowed access to the internet as each time they geti nvolved in IT ventures, it goes pear-shaped, costs huge amounts of dosh only to get shelved.

Better, and probably a darned sight cheaper to get the long-term unemployable to answer telephone qureies as they would be more knowledable to queries and reduce stress to the punters which in turn must be beneficial to the NHS with regards to stress relaed illness due to an allergy to musac.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (22nd July 2016)
Old 22nd July 2016

Liked 2,403 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Better, and probably a darned sight cheaper to get the long-term unemployable to answer telephone qureies as they would be more knowledable ...........
They will also know the benefits system better than those who administer it!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd July 2016

Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts

I'm still waiting for my gateway ID, I got the activation code weeks ago. By the time I do get the ID, the code will be out of date!
Old 22nd July 2016

I spoke to a human called Billy, and he sorted me out . He was polite, efficient and forgiving. I didn't read the long list of data they need, stated on the back of the letter.

Most people don't turn the letter over, just like me. As a result I didn't have my wife's national insurance number to hand...

Old 22nd July 2016

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts

Pete,
I've recently been through this process. I found that even if you provide all the requested information nothing further happens until you chase DWP by phone. Not sure if this is because that like to hear that the would-be pensioner actually exists before actioning the payment process!

I expect you will eventually receive a letter with the following subtitle: "Award Notice and Statement of Details".
implying that the government is gratiously providing something that I always thought was an entitlement (having paid many years of NI).
Old 22nd July 2016

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,376 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
65 will become 66, 67, 68............. in the near future! Even mine (and I am 62 at the mo), is slightly beyond my 65th birthday.
Dave - it's like a greyhound lure that moves faster the closer the dogs get to it, just out of reach.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 22nd July 2016

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I had forgotten all the fun I had with that.

When you do get your pension your will receive payments every four weeks, not monthly. I asked my MP why I couldn't receive payments monthly, as is the case with my occupational pension and most of my outgoings. He enquired and was told that they couldn't possibly cope with that. So, we have tossers, utter tossers and those who operate the state pension scheme.

Harold
You can opt to have it paid weekly into your account - get your hands on the money as quickly as possible before the bu**ers change their minds