Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 28th July 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Sports Photography Problems - Cycle Race

My 2nd attempt using my new E-M1 for Sports was unsuccessful and frustrating. Usually don't shoot Sports as I did not have the appropriate lens, but wanted to give it a try with 40-150 2.8.
Problems are that very view images were sharp and most out of focus. Exposure was fine. I know some of it is technique, but suspect most of it is camera settings.
Photo shoot of a bicycle race, at an uphill curve, riders coming almost directly into my view. Attempted to show the strain on the faces, as well as interesting uniform colours and a sense of speed.
My settings were - lens at 150mm, Aperture Priority, f2.8, ISO1250, Continuous AutoFocus + Tracking, Sequential LOW burst, JPEG, WB Auto.
Even at reasonable speed (uphill) I had difficulty in holding the focus on a set of riders as there was a lot of action (my inexperience?). But did expect at least a 2 or 3 'keepers'. I actually was so frustrated that I was envious of some of the spectators using their phone cameras as I suspected that they were doing better than me!
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Re: Sports Photography Problems - Cycle Race

Hi, don't think I have heard of a 24mm to 150mm f2.8 lens for either 4/3rds or m4/3rds did you mean 40mm to 150mm f2.8 lens.
If you were shooting at f2.8 Iwas supprised you were at iso 1250 you didn't say what your shitter speeds were at.

I have the em5 mark 1, I have photographed ralley car tracking then through trees in a local forest with excellent results, i.e. out of some 500 shots I had 489 keepers, so I would have thought EM1 to have done better.

Can you let us know a bit more of your settings i.e. shutter speed, whether IBIS was on or off, and if priority shutter release was set on or off, was your images correctly exposed, and whether the shutter shock was set to 0 thats zero as this can make a difference.
Low shutter speed burst as you say, what do you call low, as action moving objects low shutter speed is not going to help as you have probably got motion blur, the slowest shutter speed with motion would be around 1/250th sec, this would freeze slower moving objects but still give motion to faster moving objects.

Dave
Gunter (28th July 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Gunter (28th July 2015)
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 119 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
My 2nd attempt using my new E-M1 for Sports was unsuccessful and frustrating. Usually don't shoot Sports as I did not have the appropriate lens, but wanted to give it a try with 24-150 2.8.
Problems are that very view images were sharp and out of focus. Exposure was fine. I know some of it is technique, but suspect most of it is camera settings.
Photo shoot of a bicycle race, at an uphill curve, riders coming almost directly into my view. Attempted to show the strain on the faces, as well as interesting uniform colours and a sense of speed.
My settings were - lens at 150mm, Aperture Priority, f2.8, ISO1250, Continuous Focus + Tracking, Low Speed shutter burst.
Even at reasonable speed (uphill) I had difficulty in holding the focus on a set of riders as there was a lot of action (my inexperience). But did expect at least a 2 or 3 'keepers'. I actually was so frustrated that I was envious of some of the spectators using their phone cameras as I suspected that they were doing better than me!
Don't use Continuous Focus + Tracking - it's awful . Use C-AF, ideally with back -button focus. For this subject I would suggest 9-area AF. Use sequential H shooting mode as it is the most capable at following a subject and keeping it in focus. Get the subject in focus before shooting (wait for the beep) and then shoot a long burst as the later photos are often better than the first couple.
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 41 Times in 29 Posts

This was one I took two years ago at Tour of Britain. OMD-EM5 mk1, with the portrait lens 45mm f 1.8. I think i had it on the shutter burst mode
1/500 and ISO 200 from the exif data

Here comes Cav! by Mark Gelder, on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkG For This Useful Post:
Gunter (28th July 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Gunter (28th July 2015)
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, Tony
I did use the 9 area AF points. I will try C-AF and Back Button focus next time. Used "Sequential LOW" as someone suggested that the camera can't react quickly enough to the "HIGH" burst. FYI - I also shot in JPEG, again to allow for quicker upload.
I suspect a lot of my issue was around how quickly the shooting process has to be in this environment (vs a Macro flower shot!), and I rushed things. I think that once I get used to Back Button focusing, I'll be more comfortable pressing the shutter button. And of course - practice, practice and more practice!
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, Daveart
Sorry, but it should have read 40-150 2.8.
ISO was such that it gave me shutter speeds 1/1000 and up (Scene was in shade and exposure for all images were fine.
Sorry, but not familiar with term IBIS?
Also used wrong terminology "Low Speed shutter burst" should read "Sequential LOW" fps.
Shutter Shock (aka Anti Shock) is set at Off.
Would you share your settings for your rally car images? Thanks, Gunter
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 119 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, Tony
I did use the 9 area AF points. I will try C-AF and Back Button focus next time. Used "Sequential LOW" as someone suggested that the camera can't react quickly enough to the "HIGH" burst. FYI - I also shot in JPEG, again to allow for quicker upload.
I suspect a lot of my issue was around how quickly the shooting process has to be in this environment (vs a Macro flower shot!), and I rushed things. I think that once I get used to Back Button focusing, I'll be more comfortable pressing the shutter button. And of course - practice, practice and more practice!
With firmware level 3.0, Olympus introduced a change to the way that C-AF worked for the Sequential H setting that left other modes unchaged. The new C-AF makes greater use of the on-sensor PDAF and, as a consequence, is better at maintaining focus on moving subjects. Sequential L still uses the "old" method that is not as effective. So, make sure that you are on at least firmware version 3.0 and use Sequential H.
Old 28th July 2015

Hi gunter I used the em5 mark 1, the 75mm f1.8 iso between 200 iso to 800 iso when light droped f stop was f2.8 to f4 depending, low continues as em5 don't auto focus between each shot in High, shutter speed 1/500th IBIS off (in body image stablization), and the preview switched off.

I did do a couple of sequences of about 12 shots with tracking on also as the car was zooming through between the tree it occationally paused shooting when the odd tree came between me and the car, as you would expect when in tracking mode, also panning keeping within the speed of the cars.

I did post on here on of the sequences of around 12 shots in cont sequence from 100 yards down to 15 yards only one was slightly out but still reasonable in sharpness, the cars speeds varied between 80 mph and 20 mph .

I will see if I can find the Link later.

Dave
Old 28th July 2015

Here is the link to my ralley shot sequence.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/982145...7650514415969/
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 142 Times in 22 Posts

Hi,

I tried the E-M1 at a sports event for the first time last weekend. Lots of photos to go through, but here are a couple. I was using my MKI 50-200mm with EC14 TC. IBIS off, and slowish shutter speeds (between 1/200th and 1/60th!!) to try and capture movement. Rather difficult panning whilst crouching in a pop up tent trying to keep dry!! I used high speed burst mode and S-AF. Tried a few sequences on C-Af but too many out of focus. With S-AF I had a handful of out of focus shots and hundreds of in focus ones. Binned lots though as my panning wasn't good enough to freeze the vehicle movement.

I'll post a few more in the Foto fair when I get a chance

Dave
Old 28th July 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, Daveart

Sorry, but not familiar with term IBIS?
In Body Image Stabilisation.

Needs to be off if you are panning to track a moving subject.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 29th July 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you, Peter.
I'm still on a rather steep learning curve, so excuse me if some questions don't make sense.
The term you use, "Panning" - does it describe the C-AF + Tracking process whereby the camera does the tracking vs my old way of thinking where panning means following the subject by physically moving the camera like S-AF or C-AF shooting ? I used panning to blur background in horse racing images.
I'd be curious to hear what settings you would use in my described "Cycle Images" - Thanks
Old 29th July 2015

Liked 122 Times in 53 Posts

Panning as in following the subject with the calmer and shooting.

This was 1/250s, my first try with m43 so will have another go in September hopefully

pete creswell by damianmkv, on Flickr