Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 11th November 2008
Dicky

E300 focusing screen

ive just found on E-Bay a split image focusing screen for my E300 ( a bit liike they used to have in OM slr's)has anyone had any expieriencs fitting one of these ?? it's only £16 ic post so i am tempted as i use my old OM lenses often
is there any articals on changing focus screens anywhere ???
Old 12th November 2008

Liked 2,415 Times in 1,589 Posts
Re: E300 focusing screen

I would check first that the E300's screen can be changed.

ASAIK, only the E1 (and possibly the E3) had interchangeable screens.

The E500 certainly cannot be changed, as it has LEDs embedded in it.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 12th November 2008
Dicky

ive just had a look at the KATZ EYE web page they say that the E300 screen they suply cannot be changed by non profesionals allso their screen for the E500.. thanx for the help
Old 12th November 2008

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

I did try a low cost split screen on an E400 and to be honest it was too low cost and slightly too thick so the focus point was not accurate... this was fun with the old 50mm f1.2!!
So i went back to the original screen and focus visually off that...though to be honest the focus point for that is not as tight as the old OM screens.
If Katz eye can change it then so can you but it can be nerve racking with shims flying out all over the place.
So my bottom lne would be dont bother unless it is essential.
I gather that there are autofocus adapters for manual lenses that have the appropriate circuitry in them but have no experience of then...
Old 12th November 2008
Dicky

i dont think i'kk bother it just looked a good buy if it had been as easy as changing the screens on my OM 1n and OM 4 used to be .i'll look out for the focus confirm 4/3 rds to OM adapters as i like to use my OM lenses and was considering getting more adaaptors to keep on the OM lenses instead of messing around with just one adaptor thanx
Old 12th November 2008

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky View Post
.... .i'll look out for the focus confirm 4/3 rds to OM adapters as i like to use my OM lenses and was considering getting more adaaptors to keep on the OM lenses instead of messing around with just one adaptor thanx
If you do get one tell us how you get on with it
Old 13th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMHO the only focusing screens worth buying are Katz Eye. The one I had on my E500 was brilliant and worked perfectly. I can't speak for the E300 myself, but changing the E500 screen is actually quite easy (albeit scary). The LEDs are not affected, but you lose the little box markings around them. On the E510, you do lose sight of the LEDs (the main reason I sold my focusing screen when I upgraded to the E510). According to Katz Eye, the E300 is a different matter.

Having bought a cheap Chinese clone screen for my E1, I would not touch the Chinese clones again with a bargepole. The focusing was inaccurate and the metering was all over the place (ie inconsistently erroneous - consistent variation I could have lived with...).

I should point out that a number of people on one of Flickr Groups I Admin ( http://www.flickr.com/groups/om_four_thirds_adapter/ ) say they've had good results with Chinese clones, but Caveat Emptor.

As to the "focus confirm" adaptors, there is a current discussion thread on the above-mentioned group about these. Experiences vary... but there seems to be a concensus that they are quite fiddly.