Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 25th November 2014

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts
O-EM1 and IPHOTO

HI all, I have the latest IPHOTO on Yosemite, I am a little concerned at the compatability (or not) of the Raw from the O-EM1 and IPHOTO. I have recently purchased the o-em1 and use the mac iPhoto, I get a message whilst downloading the sd card that none of the information on the SD card
MESSAGE ---- card does not meet any of the criteria ---
I do however continue and iPhoto does edit the photos. but does not convert the image to a jpeg? Ok I can live with this! Then whilst editing a batch of photos yesterday I had finished a few and placed them in albums with names and info. The computer screen went blank, I tried to revive the screen by pressing the ESC button but that did not work? I therefore
turned off the computer and then back on again. when the computer fired up and I went back to IPHOTO all my images were gone, with the exemption of the the images i placed into albums. well heres the mystery, I cannot find them anywhere on the computer using finder and they are not in the trash! There not on either of the two externals either. I cannot get retrieve them from the card as I reformatted the card when I put it back in the camera. My questions are:
1, Has anyone else had this experience?
2, Why does the iPhoto not recognise the raw image?
3, Any ideas as to where they have gone?
Old 25th November 2014

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts
Re: O-EM1 and IPHOTO

I can see the images in IPhoto in Yeosemte as IPhone now always loads haven't found a way to switch it off but have not imported anything as I use LR5
Old 26th November 2014

hi peter, Sorry I am not absolutely clear on what you are saying?? Have you taken some images in raw mode and tried to load it in iphoto? And it comes up as iPhone picture? please be kind enough to explain further, I know I am a little slow on computer jargon.
Kind regards mike
Old 26th November 2014

Liked 334 Times in 160 Posts

Although you have reformatted your sd card the chances are if you have not taken too many pictures since you may be able to get some back.

I know this has worked for me in the past using CardRecovery. There are many products that do this try the demo first to see if they identify your pictures.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 26th November 2014

Thankyou Birdboy, I will try the software tomorrow.
Kind regards mike
Old 26th November 2014

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

I have just imported some OM1 RAW pictures into the latest iPhoto and Yosemitte. They look fine.

You should also be able to view the RAW file in Preview as the Raw conversion files are used in all the Apple supplied image programs on the Mac.

Have you run an App Store update to get the latest apps and control files.
Old 27th November 2014

Hi and thanks for trying, it seems that maybe because I never downloaded the update camera raw update 5.02 before I downloaded Yosemite that the new Yosemite never brought the update with it??? I have tried to load 5.02 but my mac says I have a newer edition of iPhoto. it will not allow me to download5.02 .Any ideas please. Kind regards mike PS I can see and edit the photos but it doesn't save them as jpegs when I am finished
Old 27th November 2014

Try this version it is dated Nov 13 2014

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1777?v...S&locale=en_US

I expect this this will need Yosemite
Old 28th November 2014

Thankyou Derek I will try that today. Kind regards. Mike
Old 28th November 2014

I normally get updates semi automatically by using the Updates Icon in the App store. After awhile the system tells me when there are items to update.
Old 28th November 2014

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
hi peter, Sorry I am not absolutely clear on what you are saying?? Have you taken some images in raw mode and tried to load it in iphoto? And it comes up as iPhone picture? please be kind enough to explain further, I know I am a little slow on computer jargon.
Kind regards mike
Sorry yes they will import OK in RAW using latest IPhoto & Yosemite
Old 29th November 2014

Liked 3,140 Times in 890 Posts

I have Yosemite but don't use iPhoto. However, I downloaded the latest version as an experiment. It took about an hour to update! After doing this it opened an E-M1 Raw file without any problems. There is no option to 'save as' a jpeg but I was able to export the file as one. I found the file editing and adjustment capabilities rather 'clunky' after Lightroom but it is free, I suppose.

Ron