Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 11th October 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Quick test of Sigma 50-500mm + EC20 (x2)

Hey All

Went out for a walk with Jen and the dogs along the river earlier - what a smashing day today has been weather wise folks eh!

Anyway, I had the Sigma 50-500mm in the bag, (had the 50-200mm + EC14 on the E-3!) and decided to have a very quick try of the Sigma when coupled with the EC20 (kindly loaned to me by John Baker).

Not necessarily after critique of the image as I know it's poor, (though feel free if desired ), but I am pleasantly suprised with the resulting image quality with this enormous focal length (and weighty) combination. Considering this shot was taken hand-held, at 1/400th @f14, with an ISO200, and was zoomed to the max at a focal length of 1000mm; I am pleased with what seems to be possible with this combination. I might try a visit to the Newport Wetlands Reserve with this combination tomorrow morning if the weather holds out.

Yes, there's a distinct lack of resolved fine detail, yes there's CA and fringeing especially around the whites of the bird, but this was with the juv. Black Headed Gull at a distance of 230 feet from me - WOW - (measured with Google Maps Distane Tool). I wouldn't recommend using the lens combo at this distance for detailed shots, as the combination obviously isn't capable of this level of resolving power, but I am looking forward to trying it out at closer distances.

PS: apologies about the lack of EXIF - I am having some issues in exporting any EXIF with my current version of LR AND it states I use Adobe colour space - when I don't, U use sRGB!

Old 11th October 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Quick test of Sigma 50-500mm + EC20 (x2)

Thanks John - a nice experiment.

It is difficult to comment on the resulting image as 1/400s is really slow for that focal length despite IS being on board. I was curious why you chose such a low ISO. I would have gone up to ISO 800 at least thus gaining a couple of stops to increase the shutter speed. You use Neat Image, if my memory serves me right, which is more than capable of removing the resulting noise.

I have noticed that using converters with the Bigma can result in image softening. Not always, but on some occasions. Mind you, the weather conditions (bright sunlight) are ideal for this type of test. Wish I had an EC20 to try.

Oh, by the way, I have thanked you on the other post as your comments may have guided me to the problem with my setup.

Cheers

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/