Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 20th February 2014

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts
Re: Computer choice Mac or PC

Yes. Laptops don't usually have space for a SSD as well as a big fat multi terabyte spinning drives for your photo and video collections. But even with the smallest of desktops, they are not so easy to move around. Especially with a couple of monitors attached.
Old 20th February 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,755 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian p View Post
Yes. Laptops don't usually have space for a SSD as well as a big fat multi terabyte spinning drives for your photo and video collections. But even with the smallest of desktops, they are not so easy to move around. Especially with a couple of monitors attached.
I recently replaced the HDD in my Dell Inspiron 15R laptop (Core i7 w/750GB HDD) bought from Dell Outlet for 450, with an SSD and installed a new HDD (Seagate Momentus hybrid) where the CD/DVD drive used to be. The original HDD is now my backup drive for the laptop via an eSATA docking station.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 20th February 2014

I see. You can throw out the CD/DVD. Cool. And I expect you can attach decent sized monitors to the docking station.
Old 20th February 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,755 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
I see. You can throw out the CD/DVD. Cool. And I expect you can attach decent sized monitors to the docking station.
This docking station is simply a box that enables you to mount and power a SATA device and is connected to the computer, in my case via eSATA cable. You can get USB ones as well.

The CD/DVD is replaced in the laptop by a SATA interface caddy that holds a 2.5 inch HDD.

The docking station you are thinking of is a laptop docking station that mounts the entire laptop and provides a set of external ports.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 20th February 2014

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts

If you go with Windows, then take a look at Lenovo - their ThinkPad (for laptops) and ThinkCentre (for desktops) are really well engineered for reliability in business environments. In my experience they are preferable to Dell & HP.
If you decide to go with any of Dell, HP, or Lenovo be sure to look at their 'business' products rather than the 'home user' stuff, as these tend not to ship with lots of bloatware or features such as bass-enhanced audio etc..
(Note that Lenovo's 'IdeaPad' and it's other sub-brands are targetted at consumers - and less robustly made.)
If you want a desktop and your space is at a premium, I suggest you take a look at the ThinkCentre M series Tiny "m93". This is only 18 x 18 x 3.5 cm.
Old 20th February 2014

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,451 Posts
Liked 1,448 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponner View Post
Personally I don't like laptops for serious work, have you considered and "all in one" type system if you don't need the portability but size is an issue?
I have a laptop... but its under the desk with a cable from the HDMI output (VGA if its an older machine) to a 22" monitor and a full size full travel keyboard & mouse plugged into a USB socket (no need for a docking station). The only time I need to lift the lid is to press the power button to start it and then I shut the lid again. Portability if I need it, usability if I don't. With a set up like this you can get away with a small screen which keeps the cost down (obviously balanced against the cost of the external screen).
Old 20th February 2014

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
I have a laptop... but its under the desk with a cable from the HDMI output (VGA if its an older machine) to a 22" monitor and a full size full travel keyboard & mouse plugged into a USB socket (no need for a docking station). The only time I need to lift the lid is to press the power button to start it and then I shut the lid again. Portability if I need it, usability if I don't. With a set up like this you can get away with a small screen which keeps the cost down (obviously balanced against the cost of the external screen).
I use a similar solution except I have the laptop on my desk and I use the screen as a secondary monitor (I have a stand to raise the screen up high)... I then plug the laptop into my main keyboard/mouse/24in monitor and use a KVM switch to take the controls back to my main PC with a single button click.
Old 20th February 2014

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

I use a lenovo good bit of kit and a small desktop footprint.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 20th February 2014
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Wink Re: Computer choice Mac or PC

Quote:
I did a similar thing with my MacbookPro. I don't use the Optical drive that often, so I replaced it with a 750GB HDD that came with a case within which I could insert the Optival drive - which I now have as an eternal USB Optical Drive. My MacbookPro now has 2 internal drives. The original 500GB and the 750GB one. I wish I'd have gone for a 1TB one though!

On looking back over this thread, it has to be said, if this discussion were taking place on other forums, there's be bashing, baiting, squabbling and arguing galore. Here though, you find reasoned, balanced and superbly friendly advice from those who have contributed. What a forum

Now... forget Windows, and go and get yourself a Mac.

Old 20th February 2014

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
What a forum

Now... forget Windows, and go and get yourself a Mac.
+1, it is a great forum... even if there are too many Mac owners for my liking!!
Wee man (20th February 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
theMusicMan (21st February 2014)
Old 20th February 2014

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Just to put this reliability thing into context, I have had a Dell Studio XPS 8000/Win 7 for over 4 years. It is left switched on all the time (I do backups + full malware/virus scans every night) and it has needed a reboot once. I run some programmery things on it, mostly well out of date, an ancient version of MS Office, some dodgy free music stuff - the thing really does have some crud to deal with. It happily runs the latest versions of PS Elements (or CS2 if I'm feeling that way inclined), LR and Oly Viewer simultaneously and multiple 16-bit images in elements and the performance is just fine. Previous experiences with Dell/Windows have been similar.

As alluded to before, there have been some poor versions of Windows, which is presumably where it's reputation for unreliability comes from - I'm not an early adopter of Windows for that reason. IIRC, on the desktops, missing really early stuff, we had Win 95 (good), then Win 98 (bad) Win 2000 (bad) Win XP (good), Win ME (bad), Win Vista (bad), Windows 7 (good), Win 8.0 (reliable, but very annoying for me), Win 8.1 (reliable, still annoying).

Mac desktops are great bits of kit, no doubt, but I hate the interface, an entirely subjective thing. For some reason I've got myself hooked into ITunes on my desktop, and I really don't like it. If I had to shift off Windows I'd go to Linux, if I'm not going to like the interface I may as well have a cheap one

edit - my machine is rebooted for software updates!

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 20th February 2014

Liked 74 Times in 45 Posts

well thanks for all of the opinions and advice. It seems that opinions are as strong about the equipment that we use to process and store images as the equipment that we take the images with.

The resolution on the mac screens is amazing. That could clinch it. Love them or loathe apple the enthusiasm shown by apple staff is impressive, and infectious. I looked at a huge specification Samsung that had been returned to John Lewis which would have made a huge saving. I asked if I could have a look at it with the screen running but was that couldn't be done, and they did not have a display model.

A trip to another retailer and an encounter with an apple rep left me feeling relieved that I did not have my wallet with me.

I know that the cost is hard to justify
Old 21st February 2014

Liked 2,816 Times in 958 Posts

They are all made from the same components now.
Retina displays are good but then again so are other if you pay silly money.

If you are happy paying silly money get a Mac.

Ps I hate Apple they make awful things like ipods and I have one because my wife thought I would like it
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 21st February 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
On looking back over this thread, it has to be said, if this discussion were taking place on other forums, there's be bashing, baiting, squabbling and arguing galore.
No there wouldnt! Sorry. Just being argumentative.

But, regarding OS bashing, all OSs are crap! For various reasons. I'm happy to discuss that, but somewhere else though.
Old 21st February 2014
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
well thanks for all of the opinions and advice. It seems that opinions are as strong about the equipment that we use to process and store images as the equipment that we take the images with.

The resolution on the mac screens is amazing. That could clinch it. Love them or loathe apple the enthusiasm shown by apple staff is impressive, and infectious. I looked at a huge specification Samsung that had been returned to John Lewis which would have made a huge saving. I asked if I could have a look at it with the screen running but was that couldn't be done, and they did not have a display model.

A trip to another retailer and an encounter with an apple rep left me feeling relieved that I did not have my wallet with me.

I know that the cost is hard to justify
A few more things that haven't been mentioned.

Vurus's: OK, I gather the latest software for Windows (free or otherwise) is very good at keeping those pesky critters at bay, so the risk of being infected on a Win machine is being well managed. However, in all the years I have had a Mac, my (ex) wife, my daughter, my son: 7 years in total, across 6 machines (I upgraded once and I bought my wife a Macbook Air a few years ago - I have never installed any anti virus software on any of the machines and we've never had a virus.

Finally.... yes, Mac's are expensive pieces of kit, very expensive, one cannot disagree. However, investigate the second hand value of a £1500 Win machine and a £1500 Apple machine. I bought my 1st Macbook nearly 8 years ago for £699. I sold it 4 1/2 years later, complete with the then latest version of OSx, for £220. That's nearly a third of its original purchase price after 4 1/2 years The guy who bought it from me is still using it now.