Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 2nd March 2014

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts
Re: EM-1 Lock-up Information

I've e-mailed Chris Dale at Olympus Support to see if he can bring any clarity to the situation

(Ian, are you getting any more information regarding this than we are?)
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
StephenL (2nd March 2014)
Old 2nd March 2014

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
I am currently saving up to purchase the EM-1 & 12-40 kit and I have been following the discussions around lock ups on EM-1s with great interest.One thing that has crossed my mind is how many EM-1 owners haven't had lock ups with their cameras. It would be good to understand what sort of percentage of cameras are effected. Is a minority Issue or is it affecting the majority.Is it possible to set up some sort of survey on the forum to better understand how wide spread the Issue is. Ie (no lock ups) (1 -3) (4-6) (7-10) more than 10 etc.

Touch wood and fingers tightly crossed I haven't had a lock-up since I got my EM-1 in November last and as of today I've taken 2263 shots.
No doubt according to the law of Murphy it will lock up now I've posted this

Cheers,
Steve

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 2nd March 2014

Liked 334 Times in 160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
There's not really any evidence of that as very few problems were reported with the EM-5 (certainly not of the frequency and severity of these with the EM-1) nor have the other mirrorless cameras been reported as having similar problems

There appears to be a fundamental and underlying problem with some, unknowable, proportion of the EM-1 bodies produced to date
I understand and respect your thinking but until this problem is sorted anything could be the cause. Just because it had "few" problems on a previous model does not mean you can rule it out as the cause of lockups. When you increase the performance of a model, features that previously did not appear to cause problems can manifest themselves as a problem because the performance has been increased.

I would go further and say that there is a fundamental problem with the EM-1, its far more significant than the appearance of a problem.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (2nd March 2014)
Old 2nd March 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
I had the worst afternoon so far yesterday. I was photographing rugby and had at least half a dozen lockups during the game. I didn't lose any shots, most times I noticed when I put the camera up to my eye that it was dead. Sometimes with a frozen image in the viewfinder, sometimes completely dead with no display at all.

The most extreme case happened at least once while I was watching. I had focused and was just following the action laterally across the field of view, ready to refocus if it looked as if something interesting was about to happen. And the viewfinder image froze, and the camera refused to talk. This is really weird - it wasn't doing anything at all except displaying the image in the viewfinder. I wasn't pressing the button so no focussing was going on, no IS and no activity on the memory card. Nothing at all mechanical should have been happening.

I wondered if it might have been related to the battery, which was showing 2 bars of charge. So I swapped it for a fully-charged one - and it promptly locked again.

In each case bouncing the battery fixed the problem, but it was a real pain. Behaving like this makes it pretty close to unusable. A further frustration is that when it locks, you lose any changes to settings since the last time it was switched on. On a day like yesterday with sunshine and cloud I tend to change ISO and exposure compensation on the hoof a lot (going two-thirds of a stop under when the sun is out for example) and kept losing these adjustments.

Needless to say I will update the case I have open with Oly, and may possibly express my dissatisfaction in rather more forceful terms than hitherto.

Oh well, if we want to clutch at straws at least I didn't miss any of our scores. That is because there weren't any, we lost 38-0

Ciao ... Grumpy John
John you have my empathy Good Luck
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 2nd March 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
I understand and respect your thinking but until this problem is sorted anything could be the cause. Just because it had "few" problems on a previous model does not mean you can rule it out as the cause of lockups. When you increase the performance of a model, features that previously did not appear to cause problems can manifest themselves as a problem because the performance has been increased.

I would go further and say that there is a fundamental problem with the EM-1, its far more significant than the appearance of a problem.
I concur
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 2nd March 2014

Quote:
I would go further and say that there is a fundamental problem with the EM-1, its far more significant than the appearance of a problem
may or may not be true, we can't judge based on the limited information we have
The Following Users Liked This Post:
dh202 (2nd March 2014), raichea (2nd March 2014)
Old 2nd March 2014

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
I agree, it should be interesting to see the results of the pole.
Perhaps it could be placed as sticky so that casual frequenters of the forum with an E-M1 body could be encouraged to register their experience.

Polls can tend to attract extreme examples on both sides of the coin; some 'balanced' demographics would also help the overall picture.
Difficult in what will probably be such a small sample though.
Enough of my musings

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
brian1208 (2nd March 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 2nd March 2014

Quote:
Oh come on Brian, limited information indeed please tell me you were joking- 5 months into consumer use; 500 plus replies on this issue; so far (3 hours into survey) 10 out of 23 users experiencing lockups.

I am well aware of the need to have good samples statistically to prove a trend but there is unlikely to be 1000 plus replies on a niche market camera on this forum. Even without the poll there are significant replies to show that the problem is real.

The fact is that users are experiencing the EM1 locking up i.e they cannot take another picture until they have taken the battery out and back in.

It was you that started this thread back in October

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following User Says Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd March 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

On the other hand, though very early days, 83% of respondents to date have experienced 5 or fewer lockups. Not wanting to trivialise the seriousness for those who have.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 2nd March 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
On the other hand, though very early days, 83% of respondents to date have experienced 5 or fewer lockups. Not wanting to trivialise the seriousness for those who have.
Surely 1 lockup is more than acceptable in a top level camera. I have never owned any other digital camera that locked up and I have had a few.

The real problem is that the real fear of lockup is distracting me from enjoying photography. Every time I use the EM1 I wonder if it is going to lockup and be ready to take the battery out and back in. That distraction diverts my attention away form the framing, focusing, exposure settings etc.

Old 2nd March 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

You may well have had perfect cameras previously. So have I. But tell me of any piece of technology which is 100% perfect across the board for everyone.

Yes, I agree, sometimes the fear of failure is worse than the failure itself.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 2nd March 2014

Quote:
It was you that started this thread back in October
Yep and all along I have tried to suggest that we use this thread as a place to accumulate evidence as data for Olympus to use, rather than somewhere to make guesses as to what may be the problem(s) as none of us (in my opinion) have sufficient information or knowledge to realistically guess what may behind it.

The number of lock-up events may look high here, but that is because to a large extent we are a targeted response group ie: those without problems probably won't even bother reading the thread, let alone contribute to it.

Likewise if you read other websites relating to the EM-1 you will find few (although an increasing number) responses indicating that this is a common problem

I'm not trying to stop others making their points or expressing belief that this is a flawed camera, merely re-iterating my thoughts based on past experience of data analysis and problem solving.

Like I said elsewhere, I'm much more interested in data gathering and analysis than I am in starting a cause or demanding others believe Olympus have screwed up in some way

As to
Quote:
Even without the poll there are significant replies to show that the problem is real.
I don't think you will find that I have anywhere suggested otherwise? (just that it may not be either a major or universal problem and that we have insufficient evidence to say otherwise)
The Following User Liked This Post:
StephenL (2nd March 2014)
Old 2nd March 2014

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for a very rational and honest answer
Truth is, if you have a malfunctioning E-M1 camera, be willing to part with it, and get it replaced!
It's really time to Stop guessing and trying to figure out the causes of these "malfunctions" , let Olympus solve the problem, as they are required to do under warrantees.
Any new product could have "bugs", they are aware by now, and will no doubt try to iron it out .
It's a very good product the E-M1
I am really taking a liking to mine, I want to see Oly succeed !
David
The Following User Says Thank You to dh202 For This Useful Post:
The Following Users Liked This Post:
brian1208 (2nd March 2014), Johnheatingman (2nd March 2014), pault (2nd March 2014), Ross the fiddler (2nd March 2014), StephenL (2nd March 2014)
Old 2nd March 2014

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,046 Posts
Liked 2,196 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
You may well have had perfect cameras previously. So have I. But tell me of any piece of technology which is 100% perfect across the board for everyone.

Yes, I agree, sometimes the fear of failure is worse than the failure itself.
I had another lock-up on my E-M5 (3 times, but may have been the contacts of the grip) a couple of weeks ago, but let's not start on my Toshiba laptop since I've installed Win8! Now it does lock up & can't be woken out of sleep at times. Anyhow, let's not be sidetracked here.

It seems there are more issues for the E-M1 than the E-M5 had & I hope a solution is found. I confess these reports helped me to not go ahead to buy the E-M1 at the time (together with the fires).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3rd March 2014

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

I'm lucky in that I haven't experienced a lock-up with my M-1. However last night I experienced my first lock-up with my E-5 DSLR.
I had just downloaded all of the images stored on both the SD and CF cards onto my PC via a USB card reader. I then correctly ejected the cards from the reader and refitted them into my camera. On powering up I went straight to the menu to format both cards. When I started to format the SD card the LCD went blank and the orange memory writing light started to flash rapidly. Powering off didn't help so I had to remove the battery. I then put the SD card back into the USB reader and did a full, as in not quick format using default FAT 32 settings. This took some time which was unusual. Once complete I put it back into the camera and performed another format and it's working perfectly again.
I have always used a card reader to move files from the memory card to the PC and have never experienced a problem before.
I always carry out an in camera memory card format after clearing them of data. I'm just wondering now if an error in the memory card could be causing the E-M1 lock-ups if the card isn't reformatted before use.
I'm mentioning this because I have read somewhere here that some people never format their memory cards.

Steve.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!