Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 7th October 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
IBIS Question?

Does IBIS age or need running in?

When I first got my E5 like some others on this forum I had some difficulties with IBIS generated blur. We are told that IBIS is for slower shutter speeds and can cause conflict when higher speeds are used on static subjects - this all makes sense. A lot of photography I do with wildlife sometimes necessitates a faster shutter speed to freeze subject movement but also IBIS to enable me to get the AF point accurately on target with longer lenses, even using a monopod/tripod. This often meant a lower keeper rate due to IBIS blur, which is something I just had to accept.

Moving from the E5 to the new E-M5 made me realise that I hadn't experienced IBIS problems with faster shutter speeds for some time but it now started all over again - so maybe the IBIS needs running-in?

The same phenomenon has now occurred with the E-M1! As I still have the E-M5 I can now do a direct comparison. With the same lens, 75-300mm at 300, the same SD card and the same settings I can see that the E-M1 at 1/320th sec. shows IBIS blur whereas the E-M5 does not, and it once used to do just that. The E-M1 IBIS is fine at 1/60th. With my Panasonic Leica 14-150mm I am back to getting better results at the long end using the in-lens OIS than the IBIS, which is what I once needed to do when the E-M5 was new.

This leads me to the conclusion that Olympus IBIS ages or needs running-in - maybe in a year's time I may be posting here to confirm this.

Any thoughts?

David
Chevvyf1 (26th October 2013)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 7th October 2013

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: IBIS Question?

Or maybe this could have something to do with it David and passed down to the E-M1, and getting used to/mastering the shutter button had something to do with your results

Quote:
Sadly, the biggest problem we've had with the E-P5 is something that's supposed to be counteracted by one of its biggest strengths - its five-axis image stabilization system.

We've found that when examining our images closely, many are visibly shaken, showing a distinct double-image which is almost perfectly vertically displaced (when the camera is in landscape orientation). The issue is most prevalent at shutter speeds between 1/80th and 1/250th of a second, and most obviously visible when using short telephoto lenses (~100mm equivalent). It's also far more visible with the E-P5 than the E-M5 shot with the same settings. Unfortunately, the camera's Auto ISO system will generally use 1/equivalent focal length as its minimum shutter speed, greatly increasingly the likelihood that you'll use these shutter speeds with such lenses.
Quote:
From this it seems likely that the camera, while able to correct the continuous, high frequency, low amplitude shake that comes from hand-holding (and crucially that CIPA's standards test), isn't correctly compensating for the initial low frequency, high amplitude motion of the shutter press. Perhaps the most interesting observation is that shake is visibly reduced when using the touchscreen shutter, which gives some sort of workaround for hand-held shooting.
Of course taking two identical shots with one using shutter delay would prove this, something DPR did not do.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-pen-e-p5/13

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OlyPaul For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (26th October 2013), David Morison (7th October 2013)
Old 7th October 2013

So it could be that my shutter finger needs running in with a new camera? However I have never had an issue with my Canon 7D, neither it or the lenses I use have IS, and it is no heavier than my E5 outfit. I'll try using a little Anti-shock to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks

David
Old 7th October 2013
Alpha1

David
Were you using the auto IBIS setting with the mZuiko 75-300? I have found exactly the same thing with the same lens at anything over the 250mm setting. It is just fine at the wider end though.
I have noted that there is a note printed on the Auto IBIS setting in menu of "focal length 15mm" but no way of adjusting this figure. I am wondering if this is the problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
jamsa (27th October 2013)
Old 7th October 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
...even using a monopod/tripod.
IS shouldn't be used when using a tripod. That can cause problems in itself.
Old 7th October 2013
Alpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
IS shouldn't be used when using a tripod. That can cause problems in itself.
I wasn't using a tripod......I rarely do!
Old 7th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
I wasn't using a tripod......I rarely do!
David was.
Old 7th October 2013

Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts

A lot of photography I do with wildlife sometimes necessitates a faster shutter speed to freeze subject movement but also IBIS to enable me to get the AF point accurately on target with longer lenses, even using a monopod/tripod.

Comment from David's initial thread and exactly the same thing has been going through my mind. Not only shooting moving subjects but also combating camera shake from using longer focal length lenses. If it was possible, I'd love to see a feature added that would maintain IS up to the point of the actual exposure, disabling at that moment to allow the set shutter speed to do it's job.
Old 7th October 2013

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,162 Posts

From earlier IS systems such as the E30, there were occasions that mattered how the camera was held & I did an experiment to that effect. When I hand held the camera freely the IS performed as it was designed but if I had inadvertently lent my elbows on a table in front of me then I ended up getting vertical blur. The E-M5 & E-M1 shouldn't respond the same way (as much), but it still may be worth considering when using it.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 8th October 2013

Liked 289 Times in 143 Posts

Is this what some call shutter shock. It seems to come up in discussions with common references to the 75-300 at the long end.

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co....ed-omd-em.html

I've never used the anti shock function but i have just turned it to ON, which adds extra options to the SCP or LCP enabling me to easily use it or not. Will anti shock make any difference here?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/
Old 8th October 2013

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredman View Post
Is this what some call shutter shock. It seems to come up in discussions with common references to the 75-300 at the long end.

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co....ed-omd-em.html

I've never used the anti shock function but i have just turned it to ON, which adds extra options to the SCP or LCP enabling me to easily use it or not. Will anti shock make any difference here?
It can certainly help if any shutter shock was occurring. For example, taking a shot of the moon with it on can ensure less risk of blur from initially shutter (closing &) opening. It is easier to access if a function button is set for Drive Mode & I have one of the 4 way navigator keys (down arrow) set for it (by having the 4 way keys set to Direct Functions).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 8th October 2013

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

I tend to think of "anti-shock" as being the same as "mirror lock-up" on my DSLR and use it in the same way
Old 8th October 2013

Thanks all. The main issue is that what appears to be IBIS blur at higher shutter speeds tends to improve with time. So is this my learning to use a new camera or does the IBIS itself change. I have tried Anti-shock and it makes no difference.

David
Old 8th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
Thanks all. The main issue is that what appears to be IBIS blur at higher shutter speeds tends to improve with time. So is this my learning to use a new camera or does the IBIS itself change. I have tried Anti-shock and it makes no difference.

David
Could you post comparison images please David? One with the E-M1 and one with the E-M5...
Old 8th October 2013

Liked 1,423 Times in 366 Posts

David,

As you already noticed and kindly commented I experience issues with the IBIS on my E-M5.

For me it's the other way around. Experience from past weeks tells me the IBIS has "worn out" rather than "worn in", something seems (and sounds) wrong with the gyro(s). The behavior is more pronounced with longer focal lengths.

For reference the IBIS, since the camera was new and up until the other day allowed me to get sharp pictures with shutter speeds as low as 1/100s using a 600mm lens, sometimes as low as 1/50s (with some luck). Lens on tripod, loose head, hand on camera.

I have sent the camera to Olympus for them to look at and fix, will keep you posted.

My Gallery on 500px
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tordan58 For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (26th October 2013), jamsa (27th October 2013)
jamsa (27th October 2013)