Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 15th September 2013

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
(War)birds In Flight.

Hello everyone, I was at Leuchers Airshow last weekend and took these shots of the Typhoons doing high G turns which cause water vapour to condense out of the atmosphere due to pressure differences. They were both taken with the E-M5 and 60mm macro and show that birds in flight are possible with the E-M5, I also had the image stabilisation set for horizontal panning which helped I think. The exposures were tricky as the sun was directly opposite most of the day so it was hard getting the balance between sky and subject.

It'll be interesting to see how the E-M1 will perform in this respect, looking forward to seeing some photos when they arrive.
Old 16th September 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: (War)birds In Flight.

60mm macro for fighter jets : make it hard why don't you!
Old 16th September 2013

Haha, thanks Ulfric, the reason I was using the 60mm is that it is the longest lens I have for the E-M5 as I haven't got the adapter for my OM 200mm yet although I like the look of the new m4/3 tele. These are cropped probably 40% from the originals so I think the lens has done very well.
Regards Jim.
Old 16th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Well done Jim, it's all about making the most of the lenses you have available. I didn't know about the water vapour thing and those jets must have been shifting!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th September 2013

Hello John,
Thanks for your comments, as I understand it when the air is moist the low pressure area on top of the wing can cause the water vapour to condense into visible droplets momentarily which then disappear when the pressures equalise downstream of the wing. This happens most often when they are turning under high g force loadings and is quite fleeting giving the impression of a flash from the wing. The vapour cloud appears to burst out of the wing and then snap back into it in less than a second. The long streamer in the first image is a vapour trail from the wingtip vortice which is also producing a pressure differential causing condensation. If the aircraft is near the sun when the cloud appears you can sometimes see iridescent colours in it as the droplets are all regularly sized like a rainbow. The air was quite moist that day as rain had not long cleared so most of the jets were trailing wingtip vortices and showing vapour clouds at times.
Regards Jim.
Old 16th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Jim View Post
Hello John,
Thanks for your comments, as I understand it when the air is moist the low pressure area on top of the wing can cause the water vapour to condense into visible droplets momentarily which then disappear when the pressures equalise downstream of the wing. This happens most often when they are turning under high g force loadings and is quite fleeting giving the impression of a flash from the wing. The vapour cloud appears to burst out of the wing and then snap back into it in less than a second. The long streamer in the first image is a vapour trail from the wingtip vortice which is also producing a pressure differential causing condensation. If the aircraft is near the sun when the cloud appears you can sometimes see iridescent colours in it as the droplets are all regularly sized like a rainbow. The air was quite moist that day as rain had not long cleared so most of the jets were trailing wingtip vortices and showing vapour clouds at times.
Regards Jim.
Thanks Jim, that's facinating and also visually quite spectacular.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th September 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Do you mean a bit like this Jim?

These were just taken with the 40-150 kit lens as I'd left the 70-300 at home and still cant forgive myself for doing so
Old 18th September 2013

Hello Yellergixer,
That's a brilliant shot, you've got a great result with what you had available, I'm after a tele when funds permit as the macro is pushing it a bit! The left hand plane is showing iridescence as the purple and green colours round the tail. Were you at Leuchers too?
Old 18th September 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes Jim, it was a good day considering the forecast was for rain. Took plenty of pics too, just wish I'd remembered that lens
Old 18th September 2013

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

You could have used the digital tele converter on the em5.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 18th September 2013

Hello Dave,
Thanks for that, the digital teleconverter is one of the many E-M5 features that I haven't got round to trying yet!
Cheers Jim.