Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 30th December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why should I buy an E-5?

Greetings all. This is only my second post (although i have 'lurked' for years) and I'm cheekily going to ask for help

I currently own an Olympus E520 with 2 kit lenses(hardly used), Zuiko 9-18mm, 12-60 & 70-300 lenses, FL36 flash, Olympus remote, Giottos tripod and various Cokin filters. I always intended to replace the 70-300 with the 50-200 as it is weather sealed. I also have an Oly 2X teleconverter 'just in case' (I don't know what 'case' I'm waiting for but it was shiney and 'on offer' at the time).

Although I love photography, in its own right, my main hobby is overland travel, with my wife, in our Land Rover. I use my camera to try and capture memories as well as special images as we travel. As such my main 'focus' is landscapes and architecture. Although evening and night/star shots as well as streetlight scenes are also involved.

I chose Olympus because of my natural (and strange) aversion to following the mainstream crowd (Canikon) and the fact that I used a OM-2n for many years when I travelled as an Merchant Navy Engineer.

We have driven across the Sahara in Tunisia (where dust was a big issue). Next year (June) we are driving to the Arctic Circle in Norway and in 2015 we are hoping to drive to the Sahara again but, this time, in Morocco (overland-rovers.com)

During our last trip I started to develop an interest in video and I intend to complement my photos with a videolog in the future. I have now acquired a GoPro Hero 2 (and may get another) and a Kodak Playsport specifically for 'onboard' video and only want to carry one camera when on foot.

I am not a 'must have the latest' animal and my E520 would have served me for many years but because of the dust and desire for video I was considering a camera upgrade to the Olympus E5 (and the 50-200) However, despite being on the market for 2 years, they still remain over 1200 and the rumours surrounding its replacement don't fill me with confidence and it will probably come too late anyway.

As such I started to look around at a better way to spend my money.

Despite having a reasonably heavy investment in Oly lenses I started to compare the specs of the E5 against the Pentax K5ii. It was heavier, had lower resolution video, lower resolution sensor (debatable), poorer low light capability and was nearly twice the price!

I worked out that I could get a K5/K5ii and 2-3 lenses for the price of an E5. Taking into account the secondhand value of my current Oly kit (ebay here I come) I realised that I could jump ship and 'refresh' my entire setup for a figure which was not that far from my original predicted spend.

I would love to stay with Olympus but with the price of the E5 remaining stupidly high and with the competition seemingly leaping ahead i am finding it hard to stay 'loyal'.

So here is the cry for help:

I love my Oly lenses, for some strange reason I like being an Oly owner but with a June deadline and a limited (but reasonable) budget I am being sorely tempted away.

Do I need therapy or am I doing the right thing?

Please convince me why my 2000 should go to the big 'O' rather than Pentax.

I have posted a similar, but opposite, plea on the Pentax User forum so that I can get a semi-balanced view.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Ralph
Old 30th December 2012

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts
Re: Why should I buy an E-5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...MgHHS_M8#t=29s

Look at some of these extreme tests, you won't see them for Pentax
Old 31st December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Imageryone thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I don't haven't enough posts to add a link but just put PENTAX DUST AND WEATHER SEALING IN AFGHANISTAN into the YouTube search box

Cheers
Old 31st December 2012

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

Given you only have one sealed lens and you want to shoot video I'd take a serious look at the Pentax offerings.

David M's Photoblog
Old 31st December 2012

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts

How much would you want for the 520 body?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/
Old 31st December 2012

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,139 Posts

Ralph interesting question and I'd be interested in the answers you get from both sides as I tried a K5 out at Focus on Imaging earlier in the year and was very impressed. In my view it's the camera spec Olympus should have been producing over the last few years. If they had I for one would have bought one. As they haven't though and with your considerable budget how about going for an OM-D E-M5 and add a 4/3 adaptor to use with your existing lenses. You'd even have money left over to get some more sealed Oly glass especially if you went second hand for the glass. You'd also save some weight on your travels going the OM-D route.
Old 31st December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tim
I'm not sure that I'm selling yet and, if I do, the body would be bundled with, at least, the kit lenses to make it a viable buy.

Phill
Basically I prefer a 'proper' DSLR. Although thespec of the OMD is similar to the K5 but isn't weather sealed.

David
That's exactly what I have done and Olympus is not looking favourable at the moment.

I never thought that this would cause me so much angst. After all it's just a camera.
Old 31st December 2012

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,139 Posts

Ralph I thought the OM-D was weather sealed that's the main reason I suggested it. From the reviews they say it is?
Old 31st December 2012

Liked 348 Times in 144 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

The EM5 is dust and spash proof but, apart from the 12-50, not many of the zoom lenses currently available are.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 31st December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Phill
Looks like you're right so, as I loved my old OM2, it may be worth a 'fondle'.

In addition I shall check out how 4/3 lenses work with m4/3.

Cheers
Old 31st December 2012

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Have you thought about the Pentax K-30 which is also weather resistant and about the same size and weight as the E-520.

When I went MTF I brought the K-30 with the 18-55mm and 50-200mm weather resistant lenses for 579 to replace my Olympus DSLR's then got 50 back of Pentax so it was a bargain at 529 and its a great camera.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 31st December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mmmm. It's interesting how there hasn't been many people leaping in to defend the E-5.

Perhaps that says more about the camera, compared to the competition, than any words can.

Melaka
Good point about the other lenses. I want a fully dust/weather proof setup before my next trip, in June, and I doubt they will have released any new lenses by then.

I also notice that the minimum ISO is 200 and I prefer to stick to 100 whenever I can. In addition the maximum aperture is 3.5 and I like the 2.8 of my current lens and the Pentax DA* offerings.

Paul
I looked at the K-30 but preferred the feel of the K-5. How to you find the IQ of each of your Pentax lenses compared to the Zuiko offerings?
Old 31st December 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Ralph, I can appreciate your concern about the relative high cost of a new E-5. The alternative would be a used body and I've seen them sell at around the £800 mark.

Whether I would advise the E-5 or the K-5 depends on the handling. I would urge you, if you haven't done so already, to handle both to see which feels right, has the most logical menues for your brain, the best button placement, the most intuitive controlls. Either camera will serve you well; although I know the E-5 is practically bomb proof I cannot speak for Pentax but their reputation syas they are solid and dependable.

The other point is to compare the weather sealed lens ranges to see if one is more suitable for your needs than the other.

The Micro Four Thirds E-M5 is dust and moisture sealed but I'm unsure if it is to the same standard as the E-5. There is only one native sealed zoom lens currently available from Olympus, the 12-50mm, but Panasonic have two, the 12-35mm and 35-100mm, both a constant f2.8. The E-M5 will focus your existing Four Thirds lenses, with an adapter, but very slowly and best suited to static subjects. I haven't used it for video, but my E-M5 is a brilliant performer in terms of handling (for me), function and IQ.

The big advantage of the Pentax K5 is that it is relatively cheap and a proven performer. There is also the option, at very little extra cost, of adding a K30 as a spare body. This could be an important consideration for the trips that you have planned and the K30 is also weather sealed. With two bodies, as well as the insurance against one of them failing, you have the option of minimizing lens changes in dusty conditions. This is particularly important with Pentax, which does not have such a good sensor cleaning system as Olympus.

I'm afraid I cannot make the decision for you but hopefully this will give you food for thought. Either way, let us know how you get on.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 31st December 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

To be honest, if you want a lightweight the E-5, is NOT 4 U

I think it is world accepted that ZUIKO glass is of the highest standard.

I personally find that the E-5 and Zuiko Glass is the best option for me come rain, shine & sand it works Hanging out of the Ffestiniog train windows, in the persissing rain up Welsh Mountains; Or Sandy Beaches of the Indian Ocean islands, catching "spray" shots amidst the salty atmosphere.

Finally, I see the E-5 as per the OM series - 20 years plus Kit

If you want evidence of the HIGH IQ the E-5 eeks out of the same glass I used with the E-1's look in my Gallery - sadly these are only jpeg versions but the .orf/.raw files are blinding in IQ
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 31st December 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Ralph, I can understand your quandary, Pentax do make some lovely kit but right now my money would definitely go the way of the OM-D EM-5 and the the two excellent weather and dust sealed Lumix f/2.8 lenses (12-35 and 35-100). Small and much more compact (ideal travel companions) than either 4/3rds and certainly the larger Pentax DA* Lenses.

If you opted for Pentax and you wanted a weather and dust sealed lens combination you would have to opt for the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 and the DA* 60-250 f/4 as comparable optics to the 12-60 and 50-200. My experience with DA* Pentax zooms has been less than favourable, certainly the 16-50 cannot hold a candle to the Oly 12-60 (I've had two 16-50 and two 12-60s so I know from experience). The 16-50 is very soft wide open requiring at least f/5.6 or more to sharpen up the frame, they are very slow at focussing compared to the the 12-60 and 50-200 (this was with a K-7 body), de-centering and motor failure issues are quite common, my first example of the 16-50 went back due to de-centering. On the positive side the physical build is nice but the performance is disappointing to average for what is marketed as their highest grade shorter FL zoom. Pentax users may argue this point but really unless they have tried a 12-60 for an extended period take their comments with a pinch of salt.
The 60-250 is closer to the 50-200 in quality but still slightly shy in my experience.

To counter my experience with Pentax zooms (which don't match Olympus or the Panasonic m4/3rds high grade offerings) their primes are very nice. I had a few FA primes and the 35 Limited. However they are not weather sealed.
Body wise I have no complaints I liked my K-7 and K20D very nice to use and extremely well built, the K5 and K5 MK2 will be no different.
However having now gone mirror-less I do get the distinct feeling the future is not for bodies with 'flippy up' mirror mechanisms, perhaps another consideration may be Sony's weather sealed A77 and 16-50?

Not sure I have helped here or not

Edit: Another option may be the new Lumix GH3 body (sorry Oly) if you prefer something more akin to a D-SLR in handling.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr