Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3rd September 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slow IMac

Hiya

Hope everyone doing good not posted for a while but have been out taking photos again which is fab

Wondered if I could pick any mac users brains? My macs running really slowly, even when I've only got a couple of packages open. Are there any ways I could speed it up a bit? It was really fast up until prob April and it's been getting gradually slower, but I've not done anything different

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
Sus
Old 3rd September 2011
Bobpatchcott

Re: Slow IMac

Hi Susan
How old is your Imac?. when mine was about two years old it seemed to get a bit sluggish, so I upgraded to snow leopard and doubled the ram from two to four gigs and this improved it a lot.
Now I have to tell you that I am rubbish when it comes to computers but this worked for me, there are many others on this forum better qualified than I to help and I'm sure they will, good luck I hope you get it sorted.

Cheers Bob.
Old 3rd September 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When a Mac is running slow there might be a disk related issue.

Fist of all: make sure you have enough room available on your internal HDD.
You will need at least about 10 GB free, depending on your use. This room is needed for swap files if you are running low on memory and the scratch files for programs like Photoshop.

If your Mac is slow when starting up, there might be a chance that your HDD is dying. You can check the status of you HDD with the Disk Utility (in the Utilities section of the Application folder) or with a 3rd party SMART status checker, for instance this one.

Karel
Old 3rd September 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Sus,

Seconded on the disk space, think you are supposed to have about 5-10% free for smooth running.

In addition have you Repaired Permissions recently or recently installed some software ? (It's part of Disk Utility). Might be worth running Repair Disk from Disk Utility as well.

Is it just some software that runs slow or all of it ?

Cheers,
Mark
Old 3rd September 2011
swebber

I suggest that you use the time machine to save your files and then do a fresh install and a format of the drive. It could also be an issue with the ram not being enough to handle your processing needs.

It is not a matter of how many applications are running but how much memory they require and consume. Try opening the activity monitor first and check if the resources are always maxed out making to run a tad slower.
Old 3rd September 2011

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

Do not do a reinstall - tell us what applications you are using and how much space the various components eg system, apps, image files, image database, other data.

Are you using Aperture? this can have some impact.

How much memory do you have?

Are you doing a cloned backup using something like Superduper on a regular basis. If using Time Machine are you backing up to different drive?

Until we have some real statistics/information we cannot comment.
Old 3rd September 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hiya

Thanks for all the replies, sorry I haven't replied earlier, been out all day.

I repaired some permissions earlier today before giing out, there weren't many listed, but I selected to repair them anyway. Due to being out all day I've not had chance to check it since I did it.

It runs slow whilst photoshop is running and also illustrator. Generally I've got mail, safari and ps or ill open and I've got a virgin backup that runs in the background.
It's got 628gb with 211gb of free space, Running os x 10.6.8, it's coming up for 2 yrs old.

I emptied some cache's earlier, but there wasn't a huge amount I'm them so I don't know if that'd really make much difference.

I've got aperture on it but don't use it for processing pictures, just use p's and occasionally lightroom. I do back up (one due) time machine to an external hard drive as well.

Thanks
Sus
Old 3rd September 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ohh it's got 4gb of ram too
Old 3rd September 2011

What is the model identifier for the iMac - to get this select the Apple symbol at top left of the screen and then select More Info then the second line down in the Hardware Overview is the Model Identifier. Also tell us the Processor information ie name, speed and number.

For general housekeeeping I run a copy of Macaroni to ensure that the various tasks are done on a regular basis.

Have you emptied the trash.

When running Photoshop are you also running Aperture at the same time. I have found that my use of Photoshop has been reduced to less than 5% of images as I can do all the work in Aperture and much faster than Photoshop. I only use Photoshop for perspective control - and if I want to swap heads around or change the sky etc.

In Aperture are you using Managed or referenced master files.
Old 4th September 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Derek

Thanks for advising how to get that info, this is what the more info says:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08

It seems to be running a bit faster today, mail loaded in miliseconds, whereas normally it can take a wee while. Safari loaded pretty fast too (noticeably faster). Now just got to try ps and ai.

No I don't use aperture at all really, just think it's handy to have 'incase' I guess. I feel like I have a lot more control when I'm processing if I use photoshop, just a preference really.

I'll check out macaroni too

Thanks
Susan
Old 4th September 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

is there a way mac's can get viruses? Just curious incase somethings working in the background?

There were a few items left in trash after I had deleted the cache, and have found it a bit faster after getting rid of them as well as repairing permissions and canceling the virgin backup that runs in the background.
Old 4th September 2011

According to the MacTracker program you could add an addition 4 GB of memory to the machine. This would most likely mean removing the existing memory chips and replacing them with 2 by 4 GB chips. This would have a significant effect on the general performance of the machine.

TO see what chips to get, go to the Crucial web site
http://www.crucial.com/uk/promo/inde...?prog=desktop2

and download and run the scanner - this will specify the type of memory to order.

Re Aperture and Photoshop

What is your workflow? I suspect that you are not getting the best throughput for your pictures and resources.
Are you using RAW image files?
Old 4th September 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's brilliant, I hadn't realised that it was a straightforward process to upgrade the memory. Think that'll definitely be a pay day purchase
Thank you

With regards to workflow, I copy the images from my memory card over to the hard drive, I shoot raw and jpeg, mainly processing from the jpegs and keeping the raw files as an alternative if I need to recovery anything that I can't in the jpegs. Use photoshop (with nik fx filters) for processing.

Thanks
S
Old 4th September 2011

Susan

I shall now go into bully and harassment mode so apologies. <g>

I use Aperture to handle all the images from the Ex cameras which are all Raw files.

I copy the files into a directory structure - I then import them into Aperture as Referenced files - ie Aperture does not hold the master files but refers to them.

Within seconds I have useful images that in the main could be exported as Jpegs. Aperture processes then very quickly to a useable standard - custom changes can always be done for the exceptional composition.

The disk space used consists of the Raw file, a thumbnail file and a preview file in Jpeg format stored in the Aperture database alongside of digital instructions as to how Aperture processes the image.

If I need Photoshop to do something to an image then Aperture creates a PSD or TIF file which is then passed into Photoshop for work. The updated file is passed back into Aperture to become an additional master file.

However I find that a very small proportion of the images need to be passed to Photoshop.

I do not have the camera save Jpeg files alongside the Raw files (unless I use one of the art filters in the camera which is very rare)

If I want to print an image or put it in a web site then I have Aperture create the Jpeg to the size and quality I want - I can then discard the Jpeg file knowing that I can recreate the Jpeg file in a few seconds. This saves disk space.

Aperture 3 image control can do a vast amount of work to an image including brushing in or out change, levels, curves etc.

With Aperture you can create or purchase filters or presets or customise supplied presets to meet your needs.

I do not know what the filters you use in Photoshop do.

One of your problems is always going to be a shortage of disk space so any change to your work flow that reduces your use of disk space has to be good.

The changes that I am proposing will reduce your disk usage.

I found moving from a Photoshop only process to an Aperture led process saved a vast amount of time and disk space.

Enough of my bullying -