Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

View Poll Results: How many lenses do you usually take with you
Just one lens 7 12.28%
2 lenses 16 28.07%
3 lenses 21 36.84%
4 lenses 9 15.79%
More than 4 lenses 4 7.02%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th August 2011

Liked 1,338 Times in 506 Posts
So - How many lenses do you take with you?

Thanks for the 80+ replies to my previous poll! Apparently three quarters of us have 6 or more lenses :-)

So suitably encouraged... here is a more significant question.

So, we have all these lenses.

How many do you take with you on an average day? Do you travel light? Do you restrict yourself to one lens? Do you suffer from MicroOptoPhobia, the fear of taking too few lenses? Do you fill the bag with all your glassware...?

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 3,125 Times in 888 Posts
Re: So - How many lenses do you take with you?

I only photograph birds and wildlife, so I like to travel as light as possible. My E-30 is always equipped with the 50-200 SWD and the EC-14 converter. I find that combination copes with most eventualities and if it doesn't - tough!

Ron
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Lately, I have taken to just going out with one lens and I find it quite a liberating experience as I am forced to shoot within the contraints applied by the lens - particularly if it is a fixed focal length.

I would love to adopt this approach when I go away on holidays, but I always bottle out at the last minute and end up taking three lenses and a back up body.
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
I only photograph birds and wildlife, so I like to travel as light as possible. My E-30 is always equipped with the 50-200 SWD and the EC-14 converter. I find that combination copes with most eventualities and if it doesn't - tough!Ron
I have 2 bags ,the Lowepro 450AW which takes every lens I have ( but you wouldn't want to carry it far ),then a small rucksack with 40-150 together with the 12-60 on camera.

I'm afraid tough doesn't enter my vocabulary, as there is no point in misssing shots particularly when you actually have the gear - that in my view is a waste of money and Zuiko glass isn't exactly cheap.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 18th August 2011
Kiwi Paul

With my luuurvly new light weight compact m4/3 setup I carry the G3 over my shoulder with a lens attached and the other lens or 2 in a jacket pocket. No more carry bags req lol.

Paul
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 1,338 Times in 506 Posts

I guess I am a 2 lens kind of person: My small bag takes 1 body and two lenses, so end of argument.

However for non-bag days I attach a Lowepro lens case to my belt so I still have camera and 2 lenses.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 3,125 Times in 888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
I'm afraid tough doesn't enter my vocabulary, as there is no point in misssing shots particularly when you actually have the gear - that in my view is a waste of money and Zuiko glass isn't exactly cheap.
I find the 50-200 + EC-14 will cope with most things from close-ups of butterflies to birds in flight. The only thing it can't really handle is landscapes. A dedicated macro lens would make a much better job of insects but that would probably mean carrying a tripod too.

By 'tough' I mean that if I can't photograph something I will just try to enjoy watching it at the time. I find that quite often I am so busy trying to photograph something that I don't really look at it and have to rely on poring over the photographs later. Last week I spent ages trying to photograph a distant Kingfisher but became frustrated as it was just out of the reach of my lens. In the end I put the camera down and looked at the bird through my binoculars. I was able to appreciate all the beautiful detail as it dealt with a fish which it had caught. I didn't get any photographs worth keeping but it was a brilliant experience just watching the bird.

Ron
Old 18th August 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

No matter which lenses I take, or which camera, it's almost always 3 of my 13. But there's always 1, sometimes 2, which I don't use, so I could really get by with taking just 2. But it would be the wrong 2.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lane View Post
Lately, I have taken to just going out with one lens and I find it quite a liberating experience as I am forced to shoot within the contraints applied by the lens - particularly if it is a fixed focal length.

I would love to adopt this approach when I go away on holidays, but I always bottle out at the last minute and end up taking three lenses and a back up body.
Sounds very familiar!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Feel a bit put out here - only got 5 lenses so must use this poll as ammunition to get a few more
(No chance of that - until I can use two cameras at the same time more lenses won't wash with my other half )
Of my 4 lenses and extender I will normally carry 3 lenses and the extender. Since in earlier times I never seemed to have what I wanted at a particular time when out and about I decided to get kitted up to carry the gear as and when.
Since I take photos of all sorts - macro, wildlife, landscapes, any moving object, any stationary object... you get my drift I hope..I've taken to using a Tamrac belt system when I go out.
I tend to wind up with my E30 & 70-300mm with tripod attached over my shoulder and the 105mm, 14-42mm, EX14, binoculars, and odds and ends in the cases on the belt. I can carry the E520 spare body as well.
I may look like something from the special forces but I find the belt system so much more comfortable, adaptable and user-friendly than a back pack or shoulder bag. I've got a Kata sling bag, great protection for carrying the gear but it is just not practical.
I suppose at least I am getting full use of my lenses but no excuse for missing the shot now!

More gear than I need, less gear than I want!
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

I usually go out with a small Kata bag and E5-12-60, 9-18 and 70-300. and a 2 time convertor or a small bag with EP2 and14-40 and a 35 macro.
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

I have my Lowe Pro nature Trekker stuffed with gear.
Yes its heavy to pick up but once its on my back I don't notice it. And in there, amongst other stuff, are 3 lenses and a converter.
I do carry the E-5 with 12-60 attached in a Toploader and if pushed that would be my basic kit.

Lots of toys.
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

4 lenses plus a couple of TC's. A lot less than my film shooting days when I only used primes so carried 6 to 8 lenses plus a couple of TC's and multiple bodies, one for each film stock.

Having said that I keep thinking about going retro and putting together a set of manual focus primes.

David M's Photoblog
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can largely depend on the day, most often I'll have four in the bag and one on a body.

Every now and then though, I'll play with one random lens for the day. Seems to hone the use for each.

On bright sunny days far from home, I've had three cameras with me, along with the tripod and backpack filled with glass.
Main body for most shots, second for infra red, and the third, that'd be the medium format.
E500 - E600 - E620 - HLD5 x2 - 17.5-45mm - 14-42mm - 14-45mm - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - 25mm f2.8 - 40-150mmMI (3.5) - Sirius 60-300mm f4-5.6 - Chinon 55mm f1.4 - Chinon 200mm f3.5 - FL50 - FL36 - Raynox DCR2020PRO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonutter/
Old 20th August 2011

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

It greatly depends on the day but I usually take with me 2 lenses.

One is my standard zoom (14-54mm now) and an OM Zuiko or M42 lens which is either a telephoto (usually Zuiko 135mm f/2.8) or a portrait lens (usually Zuiko 50mm f/1.4).

The extra lens I choose is depending to where I'm going and the time I go.
-Yoshihisa Maitani