Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 14th August 2011
abacus180

Re: What printer would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Try the iP4700. I think it's current - if not, it's only just gone EOL. At any rate, it's a great printer. BTW I've just got a great A3+ Canon printer, the new iX6550, for 165 from Amazon.
Thanks Stephen,
Someone outside the Forum has recommended that I don't even bother buying a top notch photo printer and just send the discs off for printing by one of the photo labs!
Has anyone any thoughts on this route?
Graham
Old 15th August 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacus180 View Post
Someone outside the Forum has recommended that I don't even bother buying a top notch photo printer and just send the discs off for printing by one of the photo labs!
Has anyone any thoughts on this route?
Graham
Well, fine if all you're bothered about is price. But if you want control over what and when you print, and care about quality, get your own printer. My Canons can out-do outside printers on quality. I only use them for things like panoramas and canvas prints.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 15th August 2011
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with Stephen, I have always had questionable results from high street/internet shops. Now I have all of the control and good results as well. Though I do have a que a mile long of relatives wanting me to print photos for them LOL.
Old 15th August 2011

Liked 135 Times in 43 Posts

You guys need to get out more! lol

Send a couple of files off to DSCL - have them resized and cropped before uploading and choose the 'Pro' option; don't bother with their profiles; sRGB is on the money for their printing - watch in amazement as beautiful 12" x 16" prints come back........ 1.10 each! Splash out even more and get the Fuji pearl paper option; it's simply superb for the odd 'special' but a good bit more costly.....
The Following User Says Thank You to DekHog For This Useful Post:
snaarman (23rd August 2011)
Old 20th August 2011

Liked 1,684 Times in 1,084 Posts

I've just bought a Canon Pixma ip4850.

I've only run off a couple of prints, but it look OK so far. I really need to calibrate it with my 'ColorMunki'. I also want to fit a CIS instead of the silly little ink cartridges supplied (but I'll wait until they run out).

Although it claims to be a 'photo' printer I was slightly disappointed that it only has three colour cartridges and lacks the light magenta and light cyan that I had on my old Epson Stylus Photo 995. Maybe technology has moved on such that the Canon doesn't need the extra colours. I doubt it, but I'll see!

Jim
Old 20th August 2011

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post

Send a couple of files off to DSCL - have them resized and cropped before uploading and choose the 'Pro' option; don't bother with their profiles; sRGB is on the money for their printing - watch in amazement as beautiful 12" x 16" prints come back........ 1.10 each! Splash out even more and get the Fuji pearl paper option; it's simply superb for the odd 'special' but a good bit more costly.....
Seconded

Flickr
Old 20th August 2011

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
Seconded
Agreed.

I have a HP Photosmart Pro B9180 which I got about 4 years ago. It produces the best prints ever when it works. I had it for just over the warranty period and something went wrong, cost me around 100 for engineer to fix it, he had to bodge it as he couldn't get the parts, the other week the same thing happened again. Not good for a printer that cost around 400.
I have previously tried to get in touch with HP and had no reply to two letters to the UK chief.
I wouldn't buy HP again.

I have used DSCL and they are very good.

For webpages ETC I use a Samsung CPL 300, around 100 and the cartridges last ages, much better than using an ink jet.

Not sure if this is of any help you but it helped me get it off my chest!
Old 20th August 2011

Liked 348 Times in 144 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I wouldn't buy HP again.
MY sentiments exactly as my C8180 has packed up after less than twenty months.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 23rd August 2011

Liked 1,337 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post

Thanks for this prod in the right direction. I have used Photobox for several year. Results are good, no real complaints, until...

Until I decided to branch out and try DSCL as mentioned here on several occasions. As DekHog says, 1.10 for 12x16s that come back flat packed between Black Coroplast* looking just beautiful. Every bit as good as Photobox but faster and cheaper. What's not to like

OK, you get more control with your own A3 printer, and I tried it for a few years, but these days and at these prices I will be switching to DSCL now.

Pete

*.. and I was looking to buy some of this stuff to make flash reflectors

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 23rd August 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I'll give them a try next time I need a larger-than-A3 print.

Though, as in the old darkroom days, there's nothing like seeing a print emerge from the gloom of a printer tray.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd August 2011

Liked 1,337 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Though, as in the old darkroom days, there's nothing like seeing a print emerge from the gloom of a printer tray.
Quote from the future: "This newfangled 3D brainography is all very well, but back in the old days there was nothing quite like seeing your print emerge from the Epson"

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
The Following User Says Thank You to snaarman For This Useful Post:
StephenL (23rd August 2011)
Old 3rd September 2011
swebber

Canon comes out with pretty good printers. I have an all in one photo printer with scan, copy and fax. I am satisfied with it, though the ink cartridges tend to be a lot pricier than its HP counterpart. Though you cannot let the quality sacrifice just to save on the ink. I have only used this 2 brand aside from the Epson, during the time when ribbons were still the in thing, so I could not say that much about it as you have noticed probably.
Old 20th November 2011
jtaylor1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacus180 View Post
I'd like to be able to achieve some really good photos (just up to A4 size methinks). Can anyone recommend a printer? Also If there is an all in one printer that will also produce very good results, so much the better.
Thanks
Graham

all of the brands of printer are well known for good printing,.. you just have to look for the specs and what you want...
Old 21st November 2011

Thanked 1,129 Times in 706 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

^ I agree, unfortunately, there is no try before you buy option as such. Some years back, I did manage to talk my way through a trial in a certain high street IT shop on various printers that were on display. They were a bit iffy to start with but as they had prints on display I managed to talk them round. Given the economic downturn it would certainly be worth a go.

If you don't ask you don't get.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 9th December 2011

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Reviving an old thread, just spent 58 on a Canon iP3600 as recommended by Chris earlier in the thread. I only use colour printing for printing out letters etc for our cottage and printing snapshots and for this it's perfect.

For large prints I'm in the "send them away" camp. I can't compete with professional quality paper/ink/printers for the volumes I do. I've used http://www.proamimaging.com/index.php for a while, but I think I'll give DSCL a try next time, they're cheaper and offer at least the same services.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Last edited by jdal; 9th December 2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typos