Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 10th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-410 + 70-300

Got myself the 70-300 a couple of weeks ago and have been having fun chasing butterflys so thought I'd share. Hand held on my e-410, 202mm ISO400 F6,3 1/400s. I know some bits of the wing are out of focus but that's surely the f stop so need to practice with that but quite pleased with the hairy detail. I don't know what butterfly it is but they're all over the place now the suns shining in southern Spain.

Old 10th February 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: E-410 + 70-300

This is a Red Admiral. A very nice image. Butterflies are a particularly difficult subject for macro as you have to align yourself perfectly to the plane of their wings or use a very small aperture with consequent diffraction problems. I have taken many shots with one or more parts of the wings being OOF and unfortunately cannot persuade the creature to align itself! It is difficult to move to the right position as they detect movement and may decide not to co-operate, luck plays a big part. Well done.

David
Old 10th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very nice image - i use the 70-300 on my 410 aswell, great combination, you can acheive some excellent shots with that setup.
www.dgpix.org.uk
My Flickr
Old 10th February 2011

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulg1 View Post
I don't know what butterfly it is but they're all over the place now the suns shining in southern Spain.
As mentioned, it is an Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) and they are 'hibernating' at your place, but will come back 'home' (to my place this is ) in the summer. They really do cover great distances - incredible!
When I do butterflies with my 70-300 then I look for the 'zebra-stripes' in their antennae; do they show up, it is most often a keeper.

What flower is this? A yellow Buddleja?!

Falk
Old 10th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes I'm having great fun with the big lens, don't know what to point it at first!

I'm told that the plant is a Madagascan Buddlea, certainly doing it's job of attracting the insects - more subjects for me to practice on!

Old 13th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulg1 View Post
I know some bits of the wing are out of focus but that's surely the f stop so need to practice with that but quite pleased with the hairy detail.
Realistically you're going to find it hard to get the whole thing in focus because it's quite a big butterfly. Generally as long as the head is sharp it doesn't look wrong ... but it can be quite fun to focus on other bits, such as the top of the antennae, or a part of the wing.
Quote:
the plant is a Madagascan Buddleia
It's a lovely, and unusual buddleia (named after Rev Alan Buddle) I think I'll see if I can get one for our garden.