Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 6th January 2011
Alan Clogwyn

Fast SD card

What's the fastest SD Card available, and wheres got a good price on a deecent 16 or 32Gb one?

After an afternoons's shooting Windows is estimating me another hour to transfer the files!

Plus the buffer was seriously clogging up when shooting bracketed earlier on, I thought the snow, rain and cold had killed the shutter button at first till I twigged!
Old 6th January 2011

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Fast SD card

I believe that SDHC class 10 200x 30mb/s is the current - not sure about sourcing this at 16 and 32gb though.

Assumes that the GH1 is SDHC compliant of course

Bit scary if a few bracketted shots fills your buffer though - how many are you shooting???!?!? Your E30 will take about 18 RAW files with almost any memory card so is the GH1 'buffer limited?' - surprising given the movie requirements etc
Old 6th January 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

16gb Class 10 from Amazon Marketplace (Mymemory) = 17.40 free P&P

David
Old 6th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One thought I had was to try buying a really good card reader that can take full advantage of a cards speed. I was amazed when I bought a Lexar UDMA card reader at the reduction in transfer times from my faster compact flash cards. I would image there are some good SD readers around too.

Cheers

Chris
Old 6th January 2011

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
16gb Class 10 from Amazon Marketplace (Mymemory) = 17.40 free P&P

David
just be careful because not all class 10 cards are the same speed - by a long long way!
Old 6th January 2011

Thanked 1,128 Times in 705 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

Before splashing the cash you might want to check that your equipment is compatible. I've read on Amazon that some have had problems in as much that their camera's would refuse to work with the card.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 6th January 2011

Isn't a class 10 SD card supposed to write at least 10MB/s? A class 10 SD costing 80 may only write 30MB/s. So obviously if you need that sort of speed then you may wish to pay the extra. I find that in my shooting of images of birds in flight with my E5 and a 20 SD that the write speed of the card is in no way a limiting factor as I will probably only knock off 6-7 shots max. I have not tried a 80 SD so I may be misjudging the requirements for an Extreme card. Sports photography may require more speed. I also don't really use my camera for video, I have a video camera for that, so there may be a requirement for a much faster card there. So for me a 20 card is all I desire.

As for compatibility the only problem I have ever had is with a genuine Olympus XD suitable for pano in my E30, I tried 3 and none of them would work on pano, even Olympus couldn't offer a solution!

Regards

David
Old 7th January 2011
emirpprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
Isn't a class 10 SD card supposed to write at least 10MB/s? A class 10 SD costing 80 may only write 30MB/s.
You're exactly right - the Class specs simply state minimum write speeds, and at really quite low levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clogwyn
What's the fastest SD Card available, and wheres got a good price on a deecent 16 or 32Gb one?
There is some good info on Tomshardware here. It shows that showed that amongst Class 10 cards, the Sandisk Extreme SDHC was the clear leader, getting average write speeds of 25MB/s. Then Transcend, Lexar and other big brands mostly all gave approx the same speed of 19MB/s. Average read speeds showed the same pattern.
For a Sandisk you are looking at about 33 for 8GB, 64 for 16GB and 116 for a 32GB (all from amazon). A Transcend will set you back about 10 / 20 / 40 for the same capacities. I have used Transcend in the past with no problems, but for maximum reliability, good guarantee, and best speed I went with Sandisk.

Either would be plenty fast enough though. Also, I second the suggestion of getting a good card reader. Ideally you want a PCI-bus one (either PCI-Express plug-in card or Expresscard), but Firewire is the next best bet. Failing that at least make sure it is USB2.0 Hi-Speed, plugged into a Hi-Speed / Enhanced USB port, and with nothing else sucking up too much of the bus' bandwidth. In fact, if you have PCI / Firewire or USB3.0, you could get a SDHC UHS-I card. These are the fastest yet, so fast the camera's can't utilise the extra speed yet, but a fast card reader can. Make sure the reader is SDHC UHS-I compliant though, otherwise you will just get ordinary SDHC speeds.
Old 7th January 2011

The 17.40 Transcend Ultimate 16gb SDHC from Amazon is 20MB/s. The Sandisk Extreme 16gb SDHC at 64.98 is 30MB/s. Some difference.

David
Old 9th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clogwyn View Post

After an afternoons's shooting Windows is estimating me another hour to transfer the files!
Do you know what your USB port on the PC is? i.e. USB 1.0 or 2.0? There is a very big difference in the speeds of the two.

IMHO even fast SD cards just aren't, you need to compare the proper speed ratings for the Class of card here.

You'll see a Class 10 SD card is only equivalent to a 66x CF card... which is down in the bottom end of current basic CF card speeds. I think they use Classes to hide the fact that 'high speed' SD cards are actually quite slow compared to CF cards.

The x-speed rating is compared to a CD drive, i.e. 40x means the equivalent speed to a 40x CD drive.
Old 9th January 2011
philippsfrt

From my experience Sandisk and Lexar have pretty fast cards, have a look what you can find and often the more expensive they are the faster :S