Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 6th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Accesory wish list

I'm trying to put together a photographic 'wish list' and would be really grateful for a bit of help choosing brands/models, best places to buy etc. and also some useful ideas.

Tight budget is a serious consideration, as well as my own technical illiteracy.

Everything needs to go with an E-30. I rarely use RAW. I have kit lenses + 70-300mm and 25mm (rarely used); tripod and monopod + Gitzo offset ball head; reflector (rarely used).

Here's the list so far:-
  • First a flash gun. I've read that the FL36R might not be the best option, because it doesn't have enough batteries, but are there similarly priced alternatives that are quicker?
  • A means of converting the flash gun to a ring flash.
  • A remote IR trigger, that will work for both camera and flash (or do they do that anyway?).
  • A light box - affordable (cheap) that's easy to pack away into a small space; to be used for assessed assignments for a course I'm doing.
  • Lightroom - is there a best place to buy a student version?
Any tips, and any other ideas, will be gratefully received.
Old 6th December 2010

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts
Re: Accesory wish list

PM re Lightroom.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wee man For This Useful Post:
Ellie (9th December 2010)
Old 6th December 2010
Administrator

Liked 548 Times in 296 Posts

The FL-36 is by no means a bad gun so don't write it off

Yes only 2 batteries does mean a little longer to recharge if it fired at full capacity, but depending on use this is often not an issue so if you see on at a good price it's a good investment.

It's also that bit smaller than the 50 so a bit easier to carry. In fact I use my Fl-20 more than either the 36 or the 50 because it's so small it's always with me.

There are a few recent threads on off camera flash devices that you may want to read through

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
The Following User Says Thank You to shenstone For This Useful Post:
Old 8th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Andy, I've spent a while reading threads about the various flash options but I don't really know which is best for me, and the sort of photos I prefer to take, so I guess it'd be pot luck and probably either the FL36R or the Metz equivalent. But if the FL-20 is a reasonable option, that's even better, because it's sure to be cheaper.

I suppose what I really need is something that can be used mostly to 'fill' shaded areas when photographing wildlife/flowers etc., and that's where lack of technical experience/expertise comes in, although I guess a ring flash would be the best option it's likely to remain unaffordable so I think I need something that can be added to/adapted.

@ Wee Man, thanks for the pm
Old 8th December 2010
Makonde

I got the FL36R at the outset (which is OK) but ever since then wished I had gone the extra money for the 50.....
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 8th December 2010

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

How about a small head torch which will fill in lights and costs around 5-10. They do work quite wel and the light is Daylight based. It works for me with fungi etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to yorky For This Useful Post:
Old 8th December 2010
emirpprime

FL-36 - The Metz equivalent of the FL-36 takes 4 batteries and is compatible with the Oly wireless system AFAIK (please check though!). I've heard very good things. Don't forget though - if you are learning lighting going the "strobist" route could work well. Have a look at http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/ if you don't know it.

Ringflash - try the Ray Flash. It is one of the few around that gets good reviews. Also featured on the Strobist site - http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008/03...ing-flash.html It is quite well stocked too so you can actually buy one! Think about why you want one though. These will not perform like "proper" ring flash - it is not nearly powerful enough. However it will get most of the effect for close up portrait work, just no full body shots.

IR Trigger - normally you would use an IR trigger to trip the camera, and an IR/radio trigger on the camera's hotshoe / sync socket will trigger the flash. Is that what you want? Hama make some quite decent camera triggers.

Lightbox - good ones can be quite expensive, but you can diy. Again, browse the Strobist site - it is great for info on all this sort of stuff.

Lightroom - Amazon.co.uk has good prices for it usually - slightly cheaper than rrp.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 8th December 2010

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

The Fl-50R is a great and powerful unit. Yes it is bigger as it needs four AA size batteries but it is worth having. I had the FL-36 before that but it took an age to recharge. So it went.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
The Following User Says Thank You to benvendetta For This Useful Post:
Old 8th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
How about a small head torch which will fill in lights and costs around 5-10. They do work quite wel and the light is Daylight based. It works for me with fungi etc.
That's certainly thinking outside the box, and seems very portable, which is a serious consideration. I'm guessing they can be used without being worn round the head.
Old 9th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
FL-36 - The Metz equivalent of the FL-36 takes 4 batteries and is compatible with the Oly wireless system AFAIK (please check though!). I've heard very good things. Don't forget though - if you are learning lighting going the "strobist" route could work well. Have a look at http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/ if you don't know it.
Being able to use flash is part of the course I'm doing, so not having one is a bit limiting! The strobist site is very good, loads to see/learn/read. Thanks
Quote:
Ringflash - try the Ray Flash. It is one of the few around that gets good reviews. Also featured on the Strobist site - http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008/03...ing-flash.html It is quite well stocked too so you can actually buy one! Think about why you want one though. These will not perform like "proper" ring flash - it is not nearly powerful enough. However it will get most of the effect for close up portrait work, just no full body shots.
Oh heck, that's far too expensive, so out of the question. The thing is that I know that many people who do wildlife/insect/flower photography use ringflash to get rid of shadows/ensure even lighting ... or at least that's what I think they use it for. It's less hassle, and much quicker, than trying to set up reflectors that can frighten things away.

I don't take many pictures of people, my subjects are very much smaller.
Quote:
IR Trigger - normally you would use an IR trigger to trip the camera, and an IR/radio trigger on the camera's hotshoe / sync socket will trigger the flash. Is that what you want? Hama make some quite decent camera triggers.
I hadn't thought of Hama, I'll take a look.
Quote:
Lightbox - good ones can be quite expensive, but you can diy. Again, browse the Strobist site - it is great for info on all this sort of stuff.
I tried rigging up something temporary quite some time ago, I might even have used info from Strobist. It was quite successful, but I didn't keep it because it was way too Heath Robinson. I need one to be able to take product shots, again for the course I'm following, but might well use it for other things afterwards.
Quote:
Lightroom - Amazon.co.uk has good prices for it usually - slightly cheaper than rrp.
Ah, didn't think of Amazon! Why ever not!
Old 9th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post
I got the FL36R at the outset (which is OK) but ever since then wished I had gone the extra money for the 50.....
That's what's bothering me really. Any flash I get will be a one-of, so needs to be the right one for the job ... mostly fill-flash, outdoors, insects/flowers and sometimes birds, if I know they won't be spooked by the light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
The Fl-50R is a great and powerful unit. Yes it is bigger as it needs four AA size batteries but it is worth having. I had the FL-36 before that but it took an age to recharge. So it went.
Hmm, size is an important consideration. I have one bag, everything has to fit into it!
Old 9th December 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,608 Times in 929 Posts

LED Panels are great alternatives to light boxes, especially as they are now being mass produced for eBay

I made my own ring light for 1.99 inc P&P years ago

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showph...234/ppuser/218

They are a lot brighter now

Metz guns are excellent and good VFM - But the FL-50R is brilliant (especially when it goes off on full power)

Sell the 25mm and get a 14-54 or 12-60 if you can afford it.

Get the Olympus RM-1 IR release (for use at BULB setting)

eBay is good for most things (with the right seller)

Is all this going to be Cut-n-Paste into your letter to Father Christmas

Have fun

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 9th December 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post

[bit about ringflash]

Oh heck, that's far too expensive, so out of the question. The thing is that I know that many people who do wildlife/insect/flower photography use ringflash to get rid of shadows/ensure even lighting ... or at least that's what I think they use it for. It's less hassle, and much quicker, than trying to set up reflectors that can frighten things away.
Fot that sort of money you can get the Metz ringflash, which as it works as a ttl flash controlled by the camera can be used alone or with other flashes.

Actually for insect photography I think general lighting of the area is very important, and something that provides basic background light in addition to the flash is very useful (or else you'll still be limited to very bright days), probably more important than the ringflash/conventional flash debate.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 9th December 2010

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,046 Posts
Liked 2,199 Times in 1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Same here. The FL36(R) does not have enough power to bounce off a ceiling any higher than 9' but the FL50(R) does much better. I use 2 X FL36R flashes in RC mode triggered by the cameras flash for macro lighting (on a twin flash bracket) & it does quite nicely for that. For other flash uses the FL50(R) does it for me. I might have 2 cameras with one on each for quick change of applications (with different lenses). If you decide to go with a Metz flash, I would go for the bigger one Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-1 Digital Flash for Olympus.

An add on ring can add to the above applications for portrait use etc like this one, but search for the correct size to suit the flash-camera combination.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rayflash-ring-...item3a6125e2cf

An IR trigger for the camera is real cheap off ebay & work quite well if in sight & not too far & in not too bright a light. The above flashes can work from the RC flash mode of the camera using the pop up flash as a commander (using a pulse code) but I'm not sure how effective the Metz flash works with it.

Hope that helps.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 9th December 2010

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
That's certainly thinking outside the box, and seems very portable, which is a serious consideration. I'm guessing they can be used without being worn round the head.
yes they can be hand held quite easiky, a couple of months since Lidls actually had one which fitted into a hotshoe for 4 or hand held you can direct the light just where you need it on a plant etc