Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 16th September 2019

Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,453 Posts
Liked 1,449 Times in 926 Posts
Panorama Trials and Tribulations (warning very wide images)

Snowdonia Panorama:

I was never really happy with the Olympus panorma function. It worked but I did not like the results. It always looked like the end result was "curved" in some way and that offended my aesthetics. The "bumpy" nature of the final picture also seemed a little exagerated when each image was taken with a rectilinear lens. Then there is the problem of converging (horizontal) lines as distance to the left and right objects increases (assuming you are not standing directly in the centre of a circluar building or mountain range). The overlap shows some strange artifacts as well.

As an aside, I think what I really want to do is to take a video of the panorama and have something extract the middle column of each frame and put it together in the same way that an old fashioned revolving slit camera would do for one of those wide group photos.

Having recently installed ICE onto my machine I decided to revisit one of my panorama attempts. None of the "projections" it offers suited my aesthetics either so I decided to see what I could do in Photoshop Elements and stitch together 6 shots of Snowdonia.

Here is the Olympus panorama. The sky shows the boundary between images 1 and 2 and the whole of the join between images 5 and 6 is visible. I have not cropped it so you can see the result as presented.

And here is the ICE version. A definite improvement in the quality if not in the visual appeal. The stone wall bordering the path to the parked cars (images 5 and 6) has a pronounced curve.

Here is my attempt. What do you think? I have cleaned up the joins, matched the hues in adjacent images, and done some light cloning to clean up artifacts caused by stretching the images to fit together. I could not get the stone wall (see earlier comment) to smoothly join between images 5 and 6 so left it as a sharp angle which I think looks better than the curve.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
The Following User Liked This Post:
Phill D (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 17th September 2019

Liked 1,608 Times in 791 Posts
Re: Panorama Trials and Tribulations (warning very wide images)

I prefer the last one.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
OM USer (18th September 2019)
Old 17th September 2019

Liked 3,863 Times in 1,778 Posts

I think the nature of panoramas will usually lead to the minor problems you have encountered. You have done well to iron them out.

My little TG-5 has a panorama function, which is cool, but far from perfect. The Em1 2 has ditched that function. My Lumix GX800 has a really good panorama function, which appears to take many frames before adding them together. You must remember the old school photos, where the camera actually turned by clockwork (?) to take those large school panoramas. That might have been a better technology than today, partly because of a tripod.

At WWT, I produce mosaics of the ground from my DJI drone video, using ICE. That works well, but does have those clitches sometimes. Though ICE knits together rows of photos/videos.....

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
Old 17th September 2019

Liked 705 Times in 374 Posts

Nice pano. You want less black spots, overlap more. Pincushion correction can be done in PhotoShop or Affinity.

As MJ mentioned, this panorama have come a long way. Sony have a SWEEP panorama where you just swing the camera to capture a panorama. Most Smartphones can capture panoramas and are brilliant.

BTW, Sent you a PM on it.

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to blu-by-u For This Useful Post:
Old 17th September 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

Was this hand held or on a tripod?

I prefer the second last but of course it needs cropping to straighten the framing, which is what you did in the last one.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Old 17th September 2019

Liked 1,790 Times in 663 Posts

I've just been doing some panoramas in Lightroom, and have found that the more photos you take the better the output...

So my latest Scottish scenery panorama was 40 frames merged together...

I can't see the joins at all, except 1 frame where I'd processed it before merging, so did it again pre-processed and then adjusted the whole image:

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...

Last edited by Walti; 17th September 2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Image added
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (18th September 2019), blu-by-u (18th September 2019), MJ224 (17th September 2019), OM USer (18th September 2019), Phill D (4 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 17th September 2019

Liked 3,863 Times in 1,778 Posts

At Dynevor looking west

Taken with the onboard app on the TG-5

by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
AMc (18th September 2019), OM USer (18th September 2019), Phill D (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 17th September 2019

Liked 866 Times in 242 Posts

My experience is that more photos at a longer focal length and in portrait format is the way to go, stitching wide angle images can cause real problems.
This was 5 (possibly 6) shots at 18mm (the limit of the lens I was using) the height is quite restricted by the curving of each image for the stitch before cropping but it just about works:

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
AMc (18th September 2019), blu-by-u (18th September 2019), Jim Ford (17th September 2019), MJ224 (18th September 2019), OM USer (18th September 2019), OwenMc (3 Weeks Ago), Phill D (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 17th September 2019

Liked 1,691 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
My experience is that more photos at a longer focal length and in portrait format is the way to go, stitching wide angle images can cause real problems.
This was 5 (possibly 6) shots at 18mm (the limit of the lens I was using) but the height is quite restricted by the curving of each image for the stitch but it just about works:
It works - not "just about"! (Looks like Duart Castle on Mull).

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
IainMacD (17th September 2019)
Old 17th September 2019

Liked 866 Times in 242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Looks like Duart Castle on MullJim
Thanks Jim, it is Castle Tioram near Acharacle in Moidart.

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IainMacD For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (17th September 2019), OM USer (18th September 2019)
Old 18th September 2019

Liked 458 Times in 222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Snowdonia Panorama:
As an aside, I think what I really want to do is to take a video of the panorama and have something extract the middle column of each frame and put it together in the same way that an old fashioned revolving slit camera would do for one of those wide group photos.
My iPhone and FujiFilm XF1 both have a sweep panorama function where the camera takes one long electronic exposure displaying the result on the screen as it progresses.

The iPhone also uses the gyroscope to help you to avoid pitching up and down during the process.

I've never been very happy with the Olympus panorama mode in the cameras (PL5, M10 and M10ii) I don't think I've ever successfully shot the sequence so that Olympus Viewer would stitch them.

So I just shoot a sequence of stills and put them together with Lightroom - which does a decent job in my experience. I've used ICE but as it doesn't work on ORF (?) I'd have to preprocess then stitch which limits what you can do to the whole image unless you've been very rigorous with the original exposure, white balance etc.

One thing I keep intending to try but seem to forget in the moment is to try a sequential high or low burst and swing the camera through the arc.
I guess I'd need to use the mechanical shutter to avoid jelly effect from the electronic one.

It would probably take some practice to get the right speed - I've had sequences where Lightroom is unable to stitch all the images together because they're too close together but selecting a smaller number is possible.
Thinking out loud I suppose too many is just a case of selecting fewer images to form the stitch...

The sweep would help with this kind of shot where there's no way you can stop all activity in the image.

You just have to pick your moment and take the shots as fast as you can.
If you look (not very closely) you can see quite a few interesting mistakes - I still like the image but it is quite flawed!

Time Out Market, Lisboa - Panorama by AMc UK, on Flickr
OM USer (18th September 2019), Phill D (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 18th September 2019

Liked 1,790 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
My iPhone and FujiFilm XF1 both have a sweep panorama function where the camera takes one long electronic exposure displaying the result on the screen as it progresses.

The iPhone also uses the gyroscope to help you to avoid pitching up and down during the process.

I've never been very happy with the Olympus panorama mode in the cameras (PL5, M10 and M10ii) I don't think I've ever successfully shot the sequence so that Olympus Viewer would stitch them.

So I just shoot a sequence of stills and put them together with Lightroom - which does a decent job in my experience. I've used ICE but as it doesn't work on ORF (?) I'd have to preprocess then stitch which limits what you can do to the whole image unless you've been very rigorous with the original exposure, white balance etc.

One thing I keep intending to try but seem to forget in the moment is to try a sequential high or low burst and swing the camera through the arc.
I guess I'd need to use the mechanical shutter to avoid jelly effect from the electronic one.

It would probably take some practice to get the right speed - I've had sequences where Lightroom is unable to stitch all the images together because they're too close together but selecting a smaller number is possible.
Thinking out loud I suppose too many is just a case of selecting fewer images to form the stitch...

The sweep would help with this kind of shot where there's no way you can stop all activity in the image.

You just have to pick your moment and take the shots as fast as you can.
If you look (not very closely) you can see quite a few interesting mistakes - I still like the image but it is quite flawed!
I've found it difficult to get the number of images right for a while and seem to have settled on a nominal 50% overlap between photos, sometimes slightly more.

I then use Lightroom to merge/stitch the individual photos, I've given up on all the other options for merging as the results I've been getting are so much better on the latest version of Lightroom.

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
The Following User Says Thank You to Walti For This Useful Post:
Old 18th September 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
I think the nature of panoramas will usually lead to the minor problems you have encountered. You have done well to iron them out.... You must remember the old school photos, where the camera actually turned by clockwork (?) to take those large school panoramas. That might have been a better technology than today, partly because of a tripod...
Thank you Mark. Yes, I was referring to the old school photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I prefer the last one.
Thank you Dave. Me too.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Old 18th September 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Nice pano. You want less black spots, overlap more. Pincushion correction can be done in PhotoShop or Affinity....
Thank you Henry. Yes more overlap is the answer.
Old 18th September 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Was this hand held or on a tripod? I prefer the second last but of course it needs cropping to straighten the framing, which is what you did in the last one.
Thank you Ian.

I did almost everything wrong you possibly could. It was handheld, I did not turn on the nodal point, I did not set a fixed white balance, and I was using ESP metering. The aperture was fixed (at F/8) and I was using aperture priority.

I kept the first two images uncropped to show what Olympus and ICE produce "out of the box" as it were. I croppped the last one as that was the one I manually stitched together and photoshop crops images that you stretch out of the frame anyway. I just cropped a few pixels of ragged edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
My experience is that more photos at a longer focal length and in portrait format is the way to go, stitching wide angle images can cause real problems....
Ah, yes. I forgot to do it all in portarit as well.
Petrochemist (4 Weeks Ago)