Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 7th August 2019

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Exclamation Option to assign RAW greyed out.

I've just received my second E-M1 mk2 and whilst setting up the memory cards I was reminded of an unresolved problem I have with my first mk2:-

When selecting the recording quality for a memory card, the RAW option is greyed out. All the others, including RAW + JPEG are available.

I've found the answer by fiddling around, and it will likely apply to the E-M1X as well: in my case it happens when I have the Keystone Compensation feature available (Menu>Camera2>Keystone Comp>On.

If I turn that off then I can choose RAW only on my preferred card slot. I use that feature a lot so have assigned it to toggle on and off using the lens function button, and so whenever I select RAW recording the card instantly resets to RAW + L(N) if I press the lens function button or when I turn it on within the menu.

I also discovered yesterday that contrary to what an Olympus sales rep told me, Keystone Compensation is NOT performed by sensor shifting. When I compared RAW and JPEGs of the same shots, the JPEG had the correction but the RAW file did not.

So I assume that Olympus chose to make sure that any image shot with that correction applied would compulsorily be paired as an uncorrected RAW plus the corrected JPEG.

It's annoying and unnecessary for me as I like to make my own choices, and in this case cannot do as I wish which is to store RAW on card 1 and the paired JPEG at L(arge) F(one quality compression) to card 2.

Not that I've tried it out, but using the same logic I assume that any other non-standard JPEG such as when using the ART filters or monochrome modes will also force RAW users to save as a RAW + JPEG.
Pentax 18-135WR, Pentax DA* 200mm f/2.8, Sigma 8-16mm (K-AF mount)
All three Olympus f/2.8PRO zooms plus MC-14 1.4x teleconverter).

Plus various 35mm OM bodies/lenses, Oly 35RC rangefinder, and half-frame PEN-FT body plus various lenses. MTO-11MC 1000mm f/10
Old 7th August 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,271 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts
Re: Option to assign RAW greyed out.

I think the answer to this question is to try it out

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 7th August 2019

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Option to assign RAW greyed out.

Thanks, but my post was not a question and instead just posted to be searchable if anyone in future encounters the same puzzler.

I’m not going to try it out with the ART filters or mono selection because they’re utterly useless to me.

Rob
Pentax 18-135WR, Pentax DA* 200mm f/2.8, Sigma 8-16mm (K-AF mount)
All three Olympus f/2.8PRO zooms plus MC-14 1.4x teleconverter).

Plus various 35mm OM bodies/lenses, Oly 35RC rangefinder, and half-frame PEN-FT body plus various lenses. MTO-11MC 1000mm f/10

Tags
art, e-m1x, greyed out, keystone, raw