Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 16th April 2017

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts
Re: AF not as accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
I found that the IBIS setting was at the default of a 9mm lens.

How much would that affect its operation?

Its not an easy setting to change, so I have made it 200mm, as an overall average between my 400mm pany and 12mm Zuiko.

Mj
Hi Mark, the setting you have changed is for the focal length of a manual lens. i.e. where the camera has no way of knowing what the focal length is.
The image stabilisation is set automatically to the right focal length for micro 4/3rds autofocus lenses.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (16th April 2017)
Old 16th April 2017

Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

All
Thanks to all for your suggestions thus far. I went out and took some photos of birds in flight (well Herons to be exact) and rapid moving Red Squirrels.

Used the settings that have been suggested on the whole I am extremely pleased with the results. I will have to do some fine tuning to find optimum for various scenarios.

At least now I have a great baseline to start from.

Have included 3 examples of many (which are sharp and in focus using the Olympus 40-150mm F/4 and 1.4x. I also have some other shots taken with the Lumix 100-400 that are equally sharp and in focus.

The difference is light and day. The Olympus E-M1 MK2 system does need some time invested to get to used to. I am also happy using the higher ISO settings up to ISO 3200 thus far.

I said I would never use above ISO 400 in my previous comments as I didnít feel it was good enough, I retract that statement and can confirm now that I have sharp in focus images the ISO noise is acceptable and even up to ISO 3200 running them through Neat Image with small amount of adjustment they are very useable.

Will post some additional non BIF images later.

The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (16th April 2017), Greytop (16th April 2017), mack100 (18th April 2017), skids (16th April 2017), wornish (16th April 2017)
Old 16th April 2017

Liked 1,608 Times in 791 Posts

Glad you got there, great images.

My Flickr
Old 17th April 2017

Liked 705 Times in 374 Posts

Unlike the mk1, this mk2 is not an easy beast to train.

All my garbage so far.
Old 18th April 2017

Liked 242 Times in 57 Posts

One from tonight but a bit too far away really this was with 5 points I did try one but could not keep on the bird tracking was set at +1 I think I will try 0 midway next time .
I thought I had this worked out but lot's in focus lot's close and lot's out of focus I think it was more to do with the light tonight so more work to do .
Rob.
The Following User Says Thank You to GyRob For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (19th April 2017)
bassman (18th April 2017), Goshawk (18th April 2017), mack100 (18th April 2017), Mdb2 (19th April 2017), MJ224 (18th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyRob View Post
One from tonight but a bit too far away really this was with 5 points I did try one but could not keep on the bird tracking was set at +1 I think I will try 0 midway next time .
I thought I had this worked out but lot's in focus lot's close and lot's out of focus I think it was more to do with the light tonight so more work to do .
Rob.
That's a nice shot. So far for me what has worked best is switching between 9 and all foucus points activated and lens speed set to +2, although I can't say that either is best as still experimenting, I find I am switching between them as I shoot.
Old 19th April 2017

Yes I get the feeling like my Canon gear for birds there is not one magic setting .
It's finding One that works for most situations and adjust from there .
One thing I do know is the silent shutter will get shots of birds my canon's will never get,
I must add that is in Good light .
Rob.
Old 1st May 2017

I have been doing some additional testing and can say that I am now getting many more keepers. I think my biggest problem is that I imagined having a top of the range DSLR would provide me with many many more keepers than the EM1 MK2. I will say that initially I was disappointed with the EM1 MK2, but now realise it was not the camera but my lack of understanding impatience of spending time to learn about it. So what has now changed my mind that top DSLRs from Canon or Nikon can also give a high percentage of non keepers. It was a talk I attended over the weekend given by Andy Rouse who admitted that he also gets many images that are not as sharp as he would like or not in focus. As we know he uses canon body and lens combinations that costs as much as a new good family saloon car ( he probably dosen't buy them and I suspect they are provided by Canon) non the less, the point is he also experiences similar problems. What he does get is probably cleaner images as he uses full frame, that said I would imagine that in most circumstances the EM1 MK2 can hold its own against the big guns. I must say that I have gone from getting to a point of really hating the EM1 MK2 and wanting to trade it all in for a Canon or Nikon system to actually liking it and now wanting to refine my understanding of the camera to take great pictures. This is essentially down to the people who use this forum and have provided guidance and help, thank you. I am not connected to Olympus or any camera manufacturer or anything to do with the camera industry. I am now seriously considering buying a second EM1 MK2 body with the 300mm F4 and have one body with 40-150 and one with 300mm permanently attached.... why.... we'll, I find I am missing many great shots whilst changing lenses. Will plan to use the 1.4x convertor with the 300mm F4 lens. Thanks again for your help
bassman (1st May 2017), DerekW (1st May 2017), drmarkf (1st May 2017), Greytop (1st May 2017), mack100 (1st May 2017), OM USer (11th May 2017), Ross the fiddler (1st May 2017), skids (1st May 2017)
Old 1st May 2017

Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

It's taken me some time to get used to the EM1 MkII, after moving from the GH4 (and wondering if I should have waited for the GH5) - but I'm pretty sure I made the right decision now. My hubby has a full frame Canon - but I couldn't handle the weight of that setup, which is why I went for M4/3 in the first place. The EM1 MkII and Panasonic 100-400 is about as much as I can handle - and is proving to be a terrific and flexible combination. As the pair of us go out photographing together and have the same interests, I can compare shots with my hubby - I know that his camera does better at silly ISOs and he is more experienced at panning than me but now I have a camera capable of catching birds in flight and my panning skills are starting to improve a bit (still need more practice) I realise that my rate of keepers is approaching his.

I've heard Andy Rousse speak too - quite an entertainer, as well as a great photographer. It's easy to be disheartened with your own results when you see work like his - but no wildlife photographer, however good, will get it right all of the time.

I'm pleased to have been able to get shots like these, taken last weekend at Muncaster Castle - and I know my hit rate has improved with my new setup, compared to previous visits:

Muncaster Herons by Maria, on Flickr

Black Kite by Maria, on Flickr
bassman (1st May 2017), drmarkf (1st May 2017), Greytop (1st May 2017), Gwyver (1st May 2017), Olybirder (1st May 2017), OM USer (11th May 2017), wornish (1st May 2017)
Old 1st May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
It's taken me some time to get used to the EM1 MkII, after moving from the GH4 (and wondering if I should have waited for the GH5) - but I'm pretty sure I made the right decision now. My hubby has a full frame Canon - but I couldn't handle the weight of that setup, which is why I went for M4/3 in the first place. The EM1 MkII and Panasonic 100-400 is about as much as I can handle - and is proving to be a terrific and flexible combination. As the pair of us go out photographing together and have the same interests, I can compare shots with my hubby - I know that his camera does better at silly ISOs and he is more experienced at panning than me but now I have a camera capable of catching birds in flight and my panning skills are starting to improve a bit (still need more practice) I realise that my rate of keepers is approaching his.

I've heard Andy Rousse speak too - quite an entertainer, as well as a great photographer. It's easy to be disheartened with your own results when you see work like his - but no wildlife photographer, however good, will get it right all of the time.

I'm pleased to have been able to get shots like these, taken last weekend at Muncaster Castle - and I know my hit rate has improved with my new setup, compared to previous visits:

Muncaster Herons by Maria, on Flickr

Black Kite by Maria, on Flickr
Thanks for providing a couple of your examples.... now if I can get images of that quality I will be over the moon... As you mentioned, I'll have to keep practicing with settings till I find ones that suit me. Think I'm getting there slowly.

Thanks

Tony

Can I ask what settings you used, did you use the CAF+ tracking option, have you set your camera to loose or tight settings e.g 0, +1,+2 or -1,-2 was it full matrix or 5 /9 point focusing. Do you have back button focus enabled or are you using the shutter button to focus and take the photo?

Lots of questions, but it would help me to compare what I have configured if there are any similarities between our configurations BIF.

Many thanks

Tony

Last edited by Goshawk; 1st May 2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Ask a question about settings
Old 1st May 2017

Liked 1,608 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post

Wow - Fantastic shots.

My Flickr
Old 10th May 2017

A couple from tonight these were single point it does seem to be the most accurate but not always practical as its hard to keep on the bird so I did miss quite a few shots .
I really do think the center point should have more power to focus i.e be more sensitive over all other points so the other point's Only help if the center cant get focus I'm sure this would settle the camera down a bit .
Rob.

bassman (11th May 2017), Bengeo (11th May 2017), blu-by-u (11th May 2017), Greytop (10th May 2017), mack100 (11th May 2017), MJ224 (10th May 2017), Phill D (11th May 2017), Ross the fiddler (10th May 2017), The Technician (11th May 2017)
Old 11th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyRob View Post
A couple from tonight these were single point it does seem to be the most accurate but not always practical as its hard to keep on the bird so I did miss quite a few shots .
I really do think the center point should have more power to focus i.e be more sensitive over all other points so the other point's Only help if the center cant get focus I'm sure this would settle the camera down a bit .
Rob.

Couple of great shots. But as you say trying to capture action like this I found very hit and miss, very very few keepers and some times none at all could be kept due to them not being sufficiently in focus or very noisy or both. The problem got worse in low light conditions and when I had to try and use above ISO 800 in low light, grey skies to try and capture birds of prey in flight it was almost impossible get get any keepers. Unless the bird almost totally filled the frame, it was hopeless, out of focus very noisy, extremly frustrating...

I gave it a go for a few months, but my time, cost of petrol to get to locations and the frustration of getting extremely few keepers has driven me to sell everything and replace with the Nikon D500 and the Nikon 200-500 lens. Yes it weighs considerably more, can't hold it up as long as I could with the EM1 MK2 and the Pana 100-400 lens, it dosen't have the same 800mm reach... but the results I am getting from this combination far outweigh the negatives... it's focus system is spot on, it's focus tracking is spot on, the picture quality is sublime, the ISO noise or lack of it is amazing, I can confident deftly crop the image And know I will still have a great quality picture... I have taken pics of a swallow @ 81,000+ ISO which is better than I was getting from the em1 MK2 using 1600 ISO.

Don't get me wrong the em1 MK2 and lens combinations I had were great and they have a place. I took some really great consistent quality photos with the system, but that consistency did not work for BIF which is what I needed it for 95% of the time. If you're looking for consistency of quality, being able to get very good, not acceptable but very good quality images consistently of BIF in our UK variable light conditions of all size BIF. I found on a personal basis the Oly system just didn't work for me. It was just too frustrating to use.

The Nikon system is spot on everytime every shot... probably not what the Oly owners want to hear, but these have been my frustrating experiences of a few months of Oly ownership.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goshawk For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (11th May 2017), OM USer (11th May 2017), Wee man (11th May 2017)
Old 11th May 2017

I do agree with a lot of your points but I am finding it nearly always give some good shot's
I have never tried the Pana 100-400 lens that may well not have helped with your keeper rate compared with the 300 pro I think the pro gets the best out of the camera a bit like the L series canon sure other lenses are good but just a tad behind All the time.
Rob.
Old 11th May 2017

Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,328 Posts
Liked 2,423 Times in 1,145 Posts

Well you certainly gave it a fair go Goshawk, hope the Nikon system works out for you. Hope you got good prices for your gear.