Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Re: Ban on Muslim Cameras in Planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
I was in Athens airport last week and they made me take my lens cap off and checked it was covering glass and not some plastic explosive. This was only happening to large cameras I suppose that this was on the grounds that small ones could not contain enough explosive to bring down a plane, I do not know where they were drawing the line.
This happened to me and my hubby, travelling through Athens a few years back. We both had cameras with 3 or 4 lenses and they insisted on taking both caps off all the lenses and peering through them. My hubby has a full frame DSLR and we can guarantee that about 3 out of 4 times, airport security insist he takes it out of the bag, where it is examined and sometimes swabbed. It occasionally happens with me too but less often.

While I understand the need for security, I don't understand why it is safer to have these items (if tampered with) in the hold than the cabin - generally cabin bags are subject to more checks and I thought items like lithium batteries couldn't be carried in the hold. I certainly wouldn't want my expensive camera or laptop to be carried in the hold (and my hubby would refuse point blank) - I've heard too many stories of items stolen, not to mention broken.

I don't have any plans to visit any of the affected countries and will avoid going to or through them in future. I'm just hoping this doesn't spread and become the norm - that would be the time I give up air travel!
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 3,322 Times in 1,791 Posts

Items in the hold may be uninsurable:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...t-covered.html

Harold
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

During the time when computers and cameras etc could not be carried into the cabin I had a Peli case custom fitted to hold the E1, a couple or so lenses and the laptop and cables. This was to go in the hold - I spoke to the insurance company before travelling and explained why I was having to put the luggage in the hold and they agreed to cover items.
The Pelican case was locked with cable ties and a TSA security lock (so the US TSA chaps could get into the case).
The camera annd computer survived several trips including internal flightsin the US.

So ask the insurance company for them to cover the cameras etc going into the hold.
Old 22nd March 2017

Just checked my travel insurance wording (Insure for all) and it would not be covered.

Under exclusions:

For valuables within checked-in luggage or in luggage compartments/racks not immediately adjacent to you on any form of public transport (other than hand luggage that stays with you at all times).
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 129 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
Just checked my travel insurance wording (Insure for all) and it would not be covered.

Under exclusions:

For valuables within checked-in luggage or in luggage compartments/racks not immediately adjacent to you on any form of public transport (other than hand luggage that stays with you at all times).
Most travel insurance will have a standard exclusion clause like that. If the situation is explained to them they'll typically come up with an excess premium to provide extra cover. It may not be worth taking out but it's worth checking!

I remember years ago my brother had a classic car to insure. It turned out the difference between 3rd party & fully comp. was 1.5x the value of the car. Sometimes taking the risk yourself is better than paying someone else to cover it!
Old 22nd March 2017

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,979 Posts

Quote:
Naughty Nigel = The terrorist was sucked out of the plane owing to cabin pressure and was killed, but the plane was able to make a successful emergency landing. No other passengers were killed but some suffered injuries.
If it was just after take off he should have still had his seat belt buckled - serves him right.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (22nd March 2017)
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
I'm just hoping this doesn't spread and become the norm - that would be the time I give up air travel!
Given the tragic events in London this afternoon I suspect most of us will be slightly more sympathetic to the need for security.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
If it was just after take off he should have still had his seat belt buckled - serves him right.
I'm not sure what altitude the plane had reached, but they usually switch the seat belt signs off well before reaching cruising altitude.

He clearly didn't want to wait for the drinks trolley and airline food though.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Given the tragic events in London this afternoon I suspect most of us will be slightly more sympathetic to the need for security.
I sympathise greatly with all those caught up in the latest events in London and I do understand the need for tight security. I'm quite happy to undergo having my camera equipment checked, swabbed, etc. I simply won't be travelling to any countries where I have to put it in the hold. I'm not willing to risk what amounts to a good few thousand pounds worth of equipment being stolen or damaged in the hold.
Old 22nd March 2017

Quote:
I sympathise greatly with all those caught up in the latest events in London and I do understand the need for tight security. I'm quite happy to undergo having my camera equipment checked, swabbed, etc. I simply won't be travelling to any countries where I have to put it in the hold. I'm not willing to risk what amounts to a good few thousand pounds worth of equipment being stolen or damaged in the hold.
You may remember we had a similar situation in the UK a few years ago after the 'Shoe Bomber' incident.

Whilst a laptop and/or tablet is 'nice to have' I managed perfectly well without them. In fact I found the lack of hand baggage (to carry) was very liberating.

You can do most things on a phone now anyway.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd March 2017

Quote:
You may remember we had a similar situation in the UK a few years ago after the 'Shoe Bomber' incident.

Whilst a laptop and/or tablet is 'nice to have' I managed perfectly well without them. In fact I found the lack of hand baggage (to carry) was very liberating.

You can do most things on a phone now anyway.
I can live without a laptop or tablet - and my phone is far from smart! I do not want to travel without my camera though. Part of my enjoyment of travel is to take photographs and we often plan destinations with that in mind. Photography extends and enhances my enjoyment of the holiday when I return home and leaves me with lasting memories, through those images.

It's not clear whether the UK ban includes cameras - in light of today's events, this item has been rather overshadowed - and besides, I have no current plans to visit any of the countries involved. The worry is that it will become the norm for flights to other destinations.
Old 22nd March 2017

Quote:
It's not clear whether the UK ban includes cameras - in light of today's events, this item has been rather overshadowed - and besides, I have no current plans to visit any of the countries involved. The worry is that it will become the norm for flights to other destinations.
I don't think the ban does include cameras, but I wouldn't be surprised if it extended to all electronic devices fairly soon, and on all flights.

Indeed, I think it is highly likely that all hand-baggage will be banned from flights; for a while at least, as happened after the 'Shoe Bomber', Richard Reid, tried to bring down a plane in 2001 if I remember.

This is a particular problem for me as I regularly fly abroad to carry out surveys, and need to take instruments and cameras with me. I think I might look at the train as an alternative.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd March 2017

Thanked 1,129 Times in 706 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
... You can do most things on a phone now anyway.
There-in, remains the problem, especially when one considers the glut of so-called 'smart appliances' and the apparent ease of hacking into the systems.

Be interesting to see the numbers complaining about withdrawal symptoms when they have to part with their 'mobile comfort blanket' when travelling.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 22nd March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
There-in, remains the problem, especially when one considers the glut of so-called 'smart appliances' and the apparent ease of hacking into the systems.

Be interesting to see the numbers complaining about withdrawal symptoms when they have to part with their 'mobile comfort blanket' when travelling.
Not just 'smart appliances', but aircraft systems themselves were are told, especially where planes are fitted with WiFi!

Psychologists believe the withdrawal symptoms are due to an effect known as FOMO, or Fear of Missing Out.

I often forget to take my phone with me when I go out, so no withdrawal symptoms for me.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 23rd March 2017

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,979 Posts

Well why would a would be terrorist bother to set up a digital device as a bomb to bring down an airplane when he/she can more easily drive a car into a crowd and wipe out dozens of people with seemingly little or no chance of being foiled in advance? The current Westminster Bridge catastrophe for example.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill