Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 29th November 2016

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Re: W10: The mucking of M$'s byre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Yes, I have looked long and hard at the AMD web site! The graphics are AMD/ATI Radeon HD6400 and they say they are not supporting them on Windows 10. I have installed the latest version of their software (which also installed a load of gaming apps in which I'm not the slightest bit interested) and I still have the problem. Well, it's more an inconvenience than a problem. Lenovo suggests I "reset Windows" but that means re-installing all my software which is just too much of a faff, so I simply carry on with Media Player etc. I don't much like the Movies and Photos apps anyway. The machine is like a Mac Mini form factor and I strongly suspect everything's on the motherboard so a new graphics card is not possible.

My other machine is a Dell desktop with AMD/ATI Radeon X1300. The suggestion there was to use the Win8.1 driver which works up to a point but many dialog boxes are corrupted. I fixed that by buying a cheapo ASUS graphics card with an nVidia chipset which has drivers for both XP and Win10, both of which are installed on separate partitions. ASUS does not provide the XP driver but I found one on the nVidia site.

It annoys me that manufacturers cease support for products so quickly when users have little option but to "upgrade" the OS. I don't understand why a new version of Windows needs new drivers, surely the interfaces can't be that different? And if they are, why?
Hi Richard, I have a AMD NIVADA graphics card in my aging HP multi processor server computer, running windows 10 pro I get regular software and driver updates, my last one was 2 days ago.
About the gaming thing just delete the software app vaulken and virtual gamer apps, if and when you get an update look at the list of apps and untick those I mentioned, there is also at the bottom a little box for aotu update tick that one.
It doesn't actually auto install but informs you of a new update, so you can choose to or not.

Dave
Old 29th November 2016

Thanked 1,130 Times in 707 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts
Re: W10: The mucking of M$'s byre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
HI Wally your post did open up some interesting debate

BTW there are simpler ways to unclutter a win10 metro style desktop without uninstalling apps ...

regards
Andy
Hi Andy, thanks for the tips.

I'm not aware of how they did whatever they - son/wifey - did. All I know is that my sister is happy with the end result. She, my sister did say the email was to let me know what could be done on items where the normal removal / uninstall option wasn't shown?

As I don't have W10 but remembered previous remarks from the past I thought to pass the info - as received - on.

My short stint with W10 didn't go well and the hassle I had to get up and running with W7 was not something I want to repeat. W7 is within my comfort zone where I can - at least for now - decide what I want to use and abuse.

This thread sent me off on a search and I was surprised at the number of people using the various OS systems that are not happy at being dictated to on what they can and cannot do by vendors crippling others software. Amazons approach to using Flixster being a prime example.

My biggest gripe is having to set up an account and provide financial details in order to download FREE software?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs