Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 18th August 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
faulty 17mm or normal ??

Hi, its been a while since I was on the forum. I sold my kit, as I was was not getting out due to bad health. Things have improved since then and I have just received my new EM5 mkII along with a 17mm 1.8 lens. I have had this lens before and loved it. But I can't remember if the manual focus ring had play in it as you rotate to focus ??? This one does have a slight bit of movement before it starts to focus, I really can't remember if my other one did this - I doubt it as I m sure I would of remembered; If they all do it then fine, it doesn't bother me, but if it isn't the norm I will get it swapped out.

Battery is on charge as I type this then I'm going out to play
Old 18th August 2016

Liked 129 Times in 69 Posts
Re: faulty 17mm or normal ??

Mine has a slight amount of play in it, just enough to feel it is there.
Old 18th August 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dorn View Post
Mine has a slight amount of play in it, just enough to feel it is there.
Sounds about the same as mine, so would seem to be the norm then; Makes me much happier.
thanks for your help
Old 18th August 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

The copy I had was quite well coupled, ie little or no play. But the 12mm I owned had quite a bit of play, somewhat disconcerting for an engineer.

on flickr
Old 19th August 2016

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,419 Times in 1,141 Posts

Mine is fine and smooth no play backlash or anything at all. If it was bought new I'd swap it out although it won't make any difference in use it would annoy me for sure. Glad to hear you are out and about again and with a very nice new toy too
Old 19th August 2016

I'd attempt to swop it too, but the manufacturer is likely to say it's within tolerance.

It does make a difference, if like me you zone focus for street photography. I want instant response when turning the focus ring, backlash in the mechanism as you rotate back and forth would drive me nuts.

on flickr
Old 19th August 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the help everyone
@Phill D thanks, it is nice tone able to get out again and I am loving the MKII

@Ricoh I just realised it was you that purchased the 17mm of me. Do you still have it and is that the one your talking about ?

I have raised a return as the lens isn't that sharp compared the the one I owned before also took the opportunity to change my mind now have a 12-40 pro coming tomorrow morning....so fingers crossed its a cracker
Old 19th August 2016

Hi AJ40, yes indeed the 17mm I had was the one I bought from you. It was a very good example of the lens, both optically and mechanically without any discernible backlash in the focus ring (in pull back mode). I sold the 17 mm to another forum member when I acquired the Panasonic 15mm. The Panasonic lens benefits from an aperture control when coupled to a Panasonic body, so suited my needs better.
Hope you have a better experience with the 12-40! I've had one of these as well, found it to be optically very good, but perhaps a little slow at f2.8 maximum aperture.

on flickr
Old 19th August 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Hi AJ40, yes indeed the 17mm I had was the one I bought from you. It was a very good example of the lens, both optically and mechanically without any discernible backlash in the focus ring (in pull back mode). I sold the 17 mm to another forum member when I acquired the Panasonic 15mm. The Panasonic lens benefits from an aperture control when coupled to a Panasonic body, so suited my needs better.
Hope you have a better experience with the 12-40! I've had one of these as well, found it to be optically very good, but perhaps a little slow at f2.8 maximum aperture.
I new that lens was better. I am -by my own admission- very fussy with my equipment, and won't settle unless something is perfect. In todays world sadly; that often leads to disappointment.

I really wasn't sure on the 17mm this time round, so that got me thinking about a 25mm. I then came across the 12-40mm and thought maybe I should give it a go. I settled on the 17mm as I really wanted a fast prime. I shall shoot with the 12-40mm and see what focal length I tend to lean towards and In a few months get a faster prime if I feel the need.

Do you have any examples at 25mm (50mm) you could post

Regards
Old 19th August 2016

Here we are:
Taken with a GX7, 25/f1.4
Window Light by -Steve Ricoh-

Another using an EM5 MK 1 25/f1.4
Say Cheese, but no V signs please by -Steve Ricoh-

And one more using an EP5 again with the 25/f1.4
York by -Steve Ricoh-

35/f2 set to 'f8 and be there', but I set the zone slightly long for the distance between me and the ladies with the hats.
Hats by -Steve Ricoh-

on flickr
Old 19th August 2016

F/l depends on what you like shooting. As you can see I'm a bit of a street photographer and my style and taste has evolved along the way. Today I find the 25 (50 equ) to be too long, and shoot mostly with a 35 FL on a 35 FF manual camera using zone. I like going really close in a Winogrand style, and even 35mm is a bit long and I'm looking at getting a 28mm, or possibly a 24mm.

What do you like taking?

on flickr
Old 19th August 2016

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,419 Times in 1,141 Posts

12-40 sounds like a sensible move. I don't have one myself but often wondered about it. As you say it will give you the opportunity to see what you use most. I took a similar view and got a 14-140 Lumix lens as a general travel/everyday lens and I've loved the flexibility it provides so much I've stuck with it. Only got the 17mm f1.8 for inside museum type shots in low light.
Old 21st August 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
F/l depends on what you like shooting. As you can see I'm a bit of a street photographer and my style and taste has evolved along the way. Today I find the 25 (50 equ) to be too long, and shoot mostly with a 35 FL on a 35 FF manual camera using zone. I like going really close in a Winogrand style, and even 35mm is a bit long and I'm looking at getting a 28mm, or possibly a 24mm.

What do you like taking?
Thanks for posting those images really appreciated
Street is the direction I want to take my photography, I am a huge B&W fan always have been; it just does something to an image for me. I have looked at your gallery quite a few times and I really like your work will look forward to seeing what you capture with the 24/28mm.

New lens arrived and it is a good example... very sharp and very well made; it makes the 17mm look very bad indeed...it must of been a Friday afternoon Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
12-40 sounds like a sensible move. I don't have one myself but often wondered about it. As you say it will give you the opportunity to see what you use most. I took a similar view and got a 14-140 Lumix lens as a general travel/everyday lens and I've loved the flexibility it provides so much I've stuck with it. Only got the 17mm f1.8 for inside museum type shots in low light.
All I can say is wow what a great lens you must get one at some point worth every penny
The Following User Says Thank You to AJ40 For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (21st August 2016)
Old 21st August 2016

Whenever I read discussions about FL for street, the common response is 35mm (using a 35mm camera for reference), but for the photographer who is is slightly shy, I'd suggest a 25mm (HC-B himself used a 50mm on his Leica, so you'd be in good company). No one serious about street would recommend a zoom, you'll spend far too long pushing and pulling to capture the moment. A prime lens is a must, a short FL, and get in close. Once you get within the comfort zone of people on the street, they no longer view you as a threat - has origins in our hunting origins, I believe - but long lens photographers look creepy and are I suppose.
Also practice zone focusing, dead easy if the camera allows manual focussing, just set to f8 focus at 2 or 3 metres and everything will be in focus, and you have yourself a very fast point and shoot. I do not use AF, and in fact I'm rather out of love with AF much preferring the method outlined.

on flickr
Old 21st August 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Whenever I read discussions about FL for street, the common response is 35mm (using a 35mm camera for reference), but for the photographer who is is slightly shy, I'd suggest a 25mm (HC-B himself used a 50mm on his Leica, so you'd be in good company). No one serious about street would recommend a zoom, you'll spend far too long pushing and pulling to capture the moment. A prime lens is a must, a short FL, and get in close. Once you get within the comfort zone of people on the street, they no longer view you as a threat - has origins in our hunting origins, I believe - but long lens photographers look creepy and are I suppose.
Also practice zone focusing, dead easy if the camera allows manual focussing, just set to f8 focus at 2 or 3 metres and everything will be in focus, and you have yourself a very fast point and shoot. I do not use AF, and in fact I'm rather out of love with AF much preferring the method outlined.
Thanks for the advice really appreciated
I am going to try to not get in habit of Pushing and pulling and dial in the focal length I want leave it. I will probably get 25mm prime if I get on with 50mm on this lens. I will be sure to try out Zone focusing on my next trip out

here are a few of my pics I have done in the past apart from the converse image that was taken today

backstreet

cyclerush

friends A

P3031192

P3031095