Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 22nd September 2008
ndl0071

m4/3 mock up; Photos & Details

Are we still keen? what do you think?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08...our_thirds.asp
Old 22nd September 2008

Liked 1,338 Times in 506 Posts
Re: m4/3 mock up; Photos & Details

Yes, I would like a discreet and quiet body to use with my existing 4/3 lenses (even with an adapter). Quiet operation is most important for me.

This looks more like it than the faux-slr that Panasonic have presented. However, not in silver and tan please :-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 22nd September 2008
Makonde

I hope it's available in midnight blue....

But yes, it looks interesting. Rather a shame that Oly haven't actually got one to launch at the same time as Panasonic though; just a dull-looking mockup.

It seems pretty clear that Micro 4/3 will be a significant fork in the road. Go bigger and get full-frame image quality, lower noise at higher ISOs. Or go smaller and get E-system image quality with substantially smaller gear, quiet operation, cheaper lenses, video to come....

Are E-system users going to be caught in that fork I wonder? Or has Olympus got something in mind to significantly upgrade their E-system range over the next couple of years?
Old 22nd September 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

As I said on FTU, I wouldn't pay too much attention to this. The model we saw was quite clearly only a design exercise, and certainly not a product, even in terms of production planning.

Olympus was simply saying to the press: "Don't forget that we are involved in Micro Four Thirds as well."

The one significant thing that was said, which surprised me, is that it may be a year before we see any mFT product from Olympus. But I will try to seek clarification on this.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 22nd September 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

When a concept car is shown, it's usually wild and wacky with little resemblance to the finished product. So......

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 22nd September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's rubbish, it's the 'Point & Shoot' that I feared it would be, utterly pointless except as a retro plaything for those who remember the Pen.

It may be a concept but quite clearly it shows Olympus thinking on this, rather than release a serious compact alternative to a DSLR they've released an utterly boring piece of photographic jewellery which should look well sitting beside the retro ER cases they have for the E-420.

Are they serious about being in the camera market at all?

The G1 while not being my 1st choice in form is at least a serious attempt to provide DSLR features in a compact package.
Old 22nd September 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
I think it's rubbish, it's the 'Point & Shoot' that I feared it would be, utterly pointless except as a retro plaything for those who remember the Pen.

It may be a concept but quite clearly it shows Olympus thinking on this, rather than release a serious compact alternative to a DSLR they've released an utterly boring piece of photographic jewellery which should look well sitting beside the retro ER cases they have for the E-420.

Are they serious about being in the camera market at all?

The G1 while not being my 1st choice in form is at least a serious attempt to provide DSLR features in a compact package.
I think Olympus doesn't want to show its hand just yet - or maybe can't. They are obviously concentrating on the E-3 'Junior' and so development of mFT, which is clearly a Panasonic-inspired initiative, has not yet started in earnest.

Remember, Panasonic used a lot of Olympus parts to make their DSLRs and Olympus will have a good deal of off the shelf parts from Panasonic for mFT. And Olympus has a good record in innovative camera designs. I'd be amazed if the very simple model we were shown today was the sum of what Olympus has planned for mFT.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 22nd September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I think Olympus doesn't want to show its hand just yet - or maybe can't. They are obviously concentrating on the E-3 'Junior' and so development of mFT, which is clearly a Panasonic-inspired initiative, has not yet started in earnest.

Remember, Panasonic used a lot of Olympus parts to make their DSLRs and Olympus will have a good deal of off the shelf parts from Panasonic for mFT. And Olympus has a good record in innovative camera designs. I'd be amazed if the very simple model we were shown today was the sum of what Olympus has planned for mFT.

Ian
Absolutely, it's not exactly setting the woods on fire is it. Fair enough Olympus have probably got their hands full with the new DSLR and hopefully are working on the new E-3. That said they ought to know by now that if you don't have the goods available now or at least in the next 2-3 months then can it untill you have.

Personally I'm getting a bit fed up with this type of approach from Olympus.

1st the rumours, then the concept, then the launch then the item is actually available. By the time it's on the market they've lost the momentum and the consumer is looking around at new releases that are actually available.

Olympus always appear to be out of date by the time the product is launched.
Old 22nd September 2008

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile Re: m4/3 mock up; Photos & Details

Obviously, one has to wait and see the actual goods produced rather than concentrating on concepts and pictures, but what Olympus have shown today is rather more in line with what I expected micro 4/3 to be, compared to the Panasonic offering.

Removing the mirror box presents the opportunity to create even finer lenses than those produced for the SLR series. Equally, it allows far more compact designs, and quieter, more discrete cameras.

If Olympus continue down this road of development, then clearly their line of thinking is to produce an exceptional quality compact camera. This is what they need to produce if they are to avoid a sense of abandonment with existing 4/3 users, by showing to distinct lines. So, yes... a fork in development.

I started with a manual focus, manual exposure SLR, with a 50mm standard lens. Okay, I'm 42, so there are generations after me that will not have started in this way, and even more who will probably have never used film. Digital has made photography more accessible, and m4/3 continues to provide that accessibility with (hopefully) greater quality than available presently.

The compact camera is under serious threat... not from the dSLR, or m4/3, but from the camera phone. They are improving all the time and now boast high mega pixel sensors. Soon, the low cost compact camera will be swallowed entirely and cease to exist. After your 8MP mobile phone, where to you go? m4/3 or 4/3. m4/3 could easily become the "lifestyle" choice, with 4/3 being the "advanced user" choice.

I think Olympus should take their time to make sure their MK1 is spot on.
Old 22nd September 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts

It would be absolutely pointless for Oly to merely duplicate the Panny innitiative in MFT. I forsee Panny continuing to refine the "traditional SLR style," albeit in a substantially smaller package, whilst Oly go down he route of developing "compact" style camera that have less bells and whistles but are subtantially smaller and more pocketable.

That's great, it means we will have a choice! My only hope is that Oly manage to include an integral EVF. In all other respects a camera of similar proportions to the mock up, with the 20mm f1.7 mock up already shown, would suit me fine. After all, I don't want to replace my E3, just compliment it with something substantially smaller.

If Oly do adopt this approach, then we have little to fear about the continued development of the E-System - indeed, Oly seem to be giving that priority ahead of MFT right now!

And why not? Until now Panny have rather taken the back seat in the partnership as far as actual products are concerned. Maybe with MFT it's time for a role reversal with Panny the driving force and Oly providing alternatives for a niche market. I'm quite happy with that - are you?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd September 2008

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

now if they allow the IR filter to be removed and add a B/T shutter speed and a cable release it looks perfect to hang off the back of a telescope...
Anyway Oly should be in no rush...with this credit crunch we aint going to have the money unless the costs can be dramatically reduced...
Old 24th September 2008

Liked 1,338 Times in 506 Posts

I have noticed a flurry of comments in "another place":

They seem to think the Oly mFT offering is rear screen only, i.e. no EVF. Now I know that is just rumour and maybe the item we saw was just an attention grabbing concept - however if it were true then surely no EVF seems a bad move.

I have real trouble with LCD screens, being long sighted, I can't be alone in this. Further - if you are looking for the mFT to be "like a leica" then it really needs a viewfinder, Olympus..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.