Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 13th March 2013

Liked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Re: new OM-D user ;)

Some real nice photo's you have taken love the one with the thatched cottage beside the river. Are you pleased with the camera? you will get used to the sleep mode just touch the fire button and it springs to life it helps with battery usage. regards John.
The Following User Says Thank You to edmund473 For This Useful Post:
AJ40 (14th March 2013)
Old 13th March 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmund473 View Post
Some real nice photo's you have taken love the one with the thatched cottage beside the river. Are you pleased with the camera? you will get used to the sleep mode just touch the fire button and it springs to life it helps with battery usage. regards John.
Thanks John
I am over the moon with the camera
With the sleep mode thing. I did as you just said, and touched the shutter button, and nothing happend. Had to turn her off and back on again ??
Old 13th March 2013

Have you got the current firm ware update.October 2012: Firmware update for E-M5

The firmware update version 1.5 for E-M5 is now available.
John.
The Following User Says Thank You to edmund473 For This Useful Post:
AJ40 (14th March 2013)
Old 13th March 2013

Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,043 Posts
Liked 2,172 Times in 1,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmund473 View Post
Have you got the current firm ware update.October 2012: Firmware update for E-M5

The firmware update version 1.5 for E-M5 is now available.
John.
It's now up to version 1.6 & may need a couple of steps to get there if at 1.1 or 1.2.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
AJ40 (14th March 2013)
Old 13th March 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Updated to 1.6. it is the first thing I did once it was charged. it is intermittent and happened 3 times today.
Old 13th March 2013

I don't understand that perhaps Ross may be able to help John.
Old 13th March 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Think I have sorted it now. I think I was confusing; Auto power off, with the sleep function. by default, I think it was set for Sleep: 1min and then auto power off: 5min

So when it was not coming back to life, it was because it had switched itself off.

Can anyone tell me where the function is to turn focus beep off? when shooting street, it kind of gives it away -when im using the flip screen- that I'm taking pictures.
Old 13th March 2013

Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,043 Posts
Liked 2,172 Times in 1,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ40 View Post
Think I have sorted it now. I think I was confusing; Auto power off, with the sleep function. by default, I think it was set for Sleep: 1min and then auto power off: 5min

So when it was not coming back to life, it was because it had switched itself off.

Can anyone tell me where the function is to turn focus beep off? when shooting street, it kind of gives it away -when im using the flip screen- that I'm taking pictures.
It is the 2nd last option in *D of the menu.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
AJ40 (14th March 2013)
Old 14th March 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Ross much appreciated. funny thing is, I've switched it back on now as it was rather odd without it.

Last night I couldn't resist having a compare with my olympus xz-1. I had an image that I had taken with both. There isn't that much in it to be honest which put me in a bit of a bad mood

Handling is obviously much better and speed of focus but thats about it. If you don't pixel peep really can't tell any difference; Makes you think!
Old 14th March 2013

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

I agree....it does make you think!
I'm not surprised you don't see much difference if you view the images on screen or print unto 10x8, but if you want to print bigger, or take pictures in low light, or control depth of field critically then the Pen or OM-D will outpace any compact.
I don't think picture libraries will take images from a compact camera.
My iPhone shots can look as good as any camera if viewed small.
I don't have an XZ...but it sounds like they are very good. As the technology improves the point at which you 'need' a bigger format camera gets further and further away from general photography. It would be interesting to see some real comparison shots - taken at the same time, same settings and ideally on a tripod to ensure the same viewpoint. I did this with my EP-1 and Canon EOS 50D - the Pen turned out to be as good and hence the Canon went on ebay. Maybe we will all migrate to compacts just as more FF and APSC users migrate to four thirds at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianvickers For This Useful Post:
AJ40 (14th March 2013)
Old 14th March 2013

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

I hope I'm not breaking any rules...see this comparison...
http://snapsort.com/compare/Olympus-...s-Olympus-XZ-1
The Following User Says Thank You to brianvickers For This Useful Post:
AJ40 (14th March 2013)
Old 14th March 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvickers View Post
I agree....it does make you think!
I'm not surprised you don't see much difference if you view the images on screen or print unto 10x8, but if you want to print bigger, or take pictures in low light, or control depth of field critically then the Pen or OM-D will outpace any compact.
I don't think picture libraries will take images from a compact camera.
My iPhone shots can look as good as any camera if viewed small.
I don't have an XZ...but it sounds like they are very good. As the technology improves the point at which you 'need' a bigger format camera gets further and further away from general photography. It would be interesting to see some real comparison shots - taken at the same time, same settings and ideally on a tripod to ensure the same viewpoint. I did this with my EP-1 and Canon EOS 50D - the Pen turned out to be as good and hence the Canon went on ebay. Maybe we will all migrate to compacts just as more FF and APSC users migrate to four thirds at the moment.
I think it is so easy to get caught up in reviews and marketing hype. I have no doubt about the OM-D: I love it just for how it handles. I would of liked to see a huge improvement of image quality: just to help justify the cost.

Compacts have come a long way and the xz-1 is a prime example of this.
Im looking at my images on 27" iMac so I can view them quite large and I really have to scrutinise them to see a difference so much so i cant really tell (mind starts playing tricks)

I guess like you said, it all depends on what level you are going to use them at. and in fact, most people really don't print much past 10x8 so could save themselves a small fortune.

I will try to set up a example at the weekend and take some identical shots

Adam
Old 15th March 2013
Alpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ40 View Post
Thanks Ross much appreciated. funny thing is, I've switched it back on now as it was rather odd without it.

Last night I couldn't resist having a compare with my olympus xz-1. I had an image that I had taken with both. There isn't that much in it to be honest which put me in a bit of a bad mood

Handling is obviously much better and speed of focus but thats about it. If you don't pixel peep really can't tell any difference; Makes you think!
I have 4 mpx images from panasonic bridge cameras still in exhibitions all around the world, so on the face of it I can understand your concerns!

The difference is that the conditions at that time, ie light etc., were such that just about anything would have made a good image. The difference by using a good system camera, is the versatility and flexibility available to the photographer. The OM-D is an excellent system camera, so please don't fret that your compact is competing with it. Another day and another situation and you will be pleased to have the OM-D with you....I promise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
AJ40 (15th March 2013), Pierre L (15th March 2013)
Old 15th March 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
I have 4 mpx images from panasonic bridge cameras still in exhibitions all around the world, so on the face of it I can understand your concerns!

The difference is that the conditions at that time, ie light etc., were such that just about anything would have made a good image. The difference by using a good system camera, is the versatility and flexibility available to the photographer. The OM-D is an excellent system camera, so please don't fret that your compact is competing with it. Another day and another situation and you will be pleased to have the OM-D with you....I promise.
Thanks I am sure you are right and I do love the camera and its controls. I am sure as you have said it will get me some shots I would of missed with the xz-1
Old 16th March 2013

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

I am not surprised that photos taken with the ZX-1 and the OM-D E-M5 appear to be of similar quality on screen or printed at normal size. However images taken in poor light using higher ISO settings will look very different as regards noise and loss of detail. The larger and more recent sensor in the OM-D does make a difference.

As others have pointed out the most noticeable advantages of the OM-D are its versatility, interchangeable lenses, speed and customisation options.