Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 26th September 2012

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Olympus confirms new camera body for Four Thirds lenses

No news on a body for Four Thirds?

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 26th September 2012

Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,043 Posts
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
No news on a body for Four Thirds?
Maybe this might interest you & this too.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 26th September 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With the court cases against 4 directors now at an end it is perhaps the best time for Oly to honour its promises to the 4/3 community, and change to MFT is not the answer.
Old 27th September 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

For the last few days I have been using a borrowed 7D (3 year old design) with a 400mm f5.6 (19 year old design) for a bit of BIF work. Easy-peasy! 80% keepers, IQ excellent and noise not a problem. The 7D does Contrast and Phase AF so if Canon has done it for some years why is it so difficult for Olympus? Ok the 7D is no where near as sophisticated or ergonomically satisfying as the E5 but it does the job that I want and very well. In a quandry now, always tried to stay loyal to Olympus and in love with the E5 until the E-M5 sensor arrived (it still feels the most satisfying in the hand). So when Olympus introduce the promised camera how long do I have to wait for it to be tried and tested in the my type of photography and how long could that be? In the mean-time how many opportunities do I miss? Non of us are getting any younger!

David
Old 27th September 2012

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
For the last few days I have been using a borrowed 7D (3 year old design) with a 400mm f5.6 (19 year old design) for a bit of BIF work. Easy-peasy! 80% keepers, IQ excellent and noise not a problem. The 7D does Contrast and Phase AF so if Canon has done it for some years why is it so difficult for Olympus? Ok the 7D is no where near as sophisticated or ergonomically satisfying as the E5 but it does the job that I want and very well. In a quandry now, always tried to stay loyal to Olympus and in love with the E5 until the E-M5 sensor arrived (it still feels the most satisfying in the hand). So when Olympus introduce the promised camera how long do I have to wait for it to be tried and tested in the my type of photography and how long could that be? In the mean-time how many opportunities do I miss? Non of us are getting any younger!

David
David
I agree with you and am becoming frustrated with the Way Olympus is going about four thirds body upgrades or adaptors that will allow me to use my considerable investment in their lenses with mff bodies with good af.
I for one do not have a problem using large lenses on small bodies holding the lens feels fine to me just need the adapter.
I have stopped purchasing any Olympus products only because I do not see anything positive coming from the company in any timley manner.
I like many others am looking at other systems now something I would not have even considered two years ago. Hope Olympus has an answer for me very soon.
John
Old 27th September 2012

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I had a number of Canon EOS lenses so as well as my Olympus kit bought two Canon bodies one new, one on ebay. Having been using both for a year now their are pluses and minusis to both. Canon clearly have a wider selection of bodies & lenses and as you say contract & phase AF but the autofocus on most Olympus lenses is faster (makes a big difference photographing wildlife)
The Canon system using similar focal lenghts is also far heavier to carry long distances which I do hiking / walking but to be fair to Canon it is a larger image area and they do make well designed cameras.
So I use the Olympus system when hiking / walking for landscape and for a put in your pocket camera (pm-1) and on wildlife safaris the Canon system along with portraits and family events.
Olympus does need another 4/3 rds camera and realistically two to keep that system alive and with both types of AF.
Old 27th September 2012

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
David
I agree with you and am becoming frustrated with the Way Olympus is going about four thirds body upgrades or adaptors that will allow me to use my considerable investment in their lenses with mff bodies with good af.
I for one do not have a problem using large lenses on small bodies holding the lens feels fine to me just need the adapter.
I have stopped purchasing any Olympus products only because I do not see anything positive coming from the company in any timley manner.
I like many others am looking at other systems now something I would not have even considered two years ago. Hope Olympus has an answer for me very soon.
John
Yes if Oly think their tactic of virtually forcing those with Oly lenses into Micro is the way to go then they are mistaken......I am looking at the D700 or 7d ...both cheaper than E5.To go with it a long lens and as no-one wants 2nd hand oly stuff just keep existing stuff for day to day snaps.....now thats a way to run a company ...P*** off the customers.

Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 27th September 2012

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Invicta View Post
I had a number of Canon EOS lenses so as well as my Olympus kit bought two Canon bodies one new, one on ebay. Having been using both for a year now their are pluses and minusis to both. Canon clearly have a wider selection of bodies & lenses and as you say contract & phase AF but the autofocus on most Olympus lenses is faster (makes a big difference photographing wildlife)
The Canon system using similar focal lenghts is also far heavier to carry long distances which I do hiking / walking but to be fair to Canon it is a larger image area and they do make well designed cameras.
So I use the Olympus system when hiking / walking for landscape and for a put in your pocket camera (pm-1) and on wildlife safaris the Canon system along with portraits and family events.
Olympus does need another 4/3 rds camera and realistically two to keep that system alive and with both types of AF.
But the camera does not do them justice ...thats why we want one for wildlife shooting.
Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 28th September 2012

Liked 3,122 Times in 886 Posts

Please forgive me if this has been posted before. The relevant paragraphs are immediately below the photo of the Pen camera.

Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Olybirder For This Useful Post:
ringneck (28th September 2012)
Old 28th September 2012

I dispute that Olympus kit focuses faster, I have an E5 plus a 300mm f2.8 and compared with a Canon 7D + 400mm f5.6 it doesn't stand a chance. This is one I just casually snapped out of my bedroom window with the Canon, the Olympus outfit wouldn't have even found the bird before it disappeared over the trees!

http://www.lincsbirds.co.uk/album/di...?album=2&pos=0

And the Canon outfit cost less than a third of the Olympus, the IQ is better and it weighs 1.5kg less. No IS of course but who uses this for BIF anyway!

Sorry Olympus!

David
Old 28th September 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Perhaps (referencing focus speed) Nova is talking about neither the 7D&400, nor the Zuiko 300mF2.8 ...
Old 28th September 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi guys, I left olympus a couple years ago and was sorry to say good bye to my faithful E3 but there was a long gap waiting for the E5 that was just too long for me, together with uncertainty of whether 4/3rds would continue to be developed. I think if the E5 had arrived 2months sooner I would have stuck with Olympus.

I also missed this forum having met up with a number of togs and had some fun.

I do check back here from time to time to see what's happening and, of course, was drawn to this thread.

I bought a 7d and it has been a very capable piece of kit. Its focusing system is quite sophisticated and some people do struggle with it, but all my soft pictures are down to the operator!in short, you have to read the manual and watch the videos.

I have included my Flickr link below, and would suggest a look at the event pics where I have used it with the 70-300L and snapping at 8FPS, to capture a Harris Hawk travelling at speed towards me. This shows what it can do in the hands of a simple enthusiast and not a pro.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonesgj/

The downside? It is heavy, and no flip-out screen; I now have more aches in my shoulders and knees.

Anyway, I hope Olympus sort itself out and this little post is of use to you.

Kind regards

Graydon
Old 29th September 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
I dispute that Olympus kit focuses faster, I have an E5 plus a 300mm f2.8 and compared with a Canon 7D + 400mm f5.6 it doesn't stand a chance. This is one I just casually snapped out of my bedroom window with the Canon, the Olympus outfit wouldn't have even found the bird before it disappeared over the trees!

And the Canon outfit cost less than a third of the Olympus, the IQ is better and it weighs 1.5kg less. No IS of course but who uses this for BIF anyway!

Sorry Olympus!

David
The Exif doesn't match your camera or lens description David?
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV & EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x
Incorrect link perhaps?

If this is the case I would have expected the EOS-1D Mark IV to perform rather nicely, as you have described

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 29th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
The Exif doesn't match your camera or lens description David?
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV & EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x
Incorrect link perhaps?

If this is the case I would have expected the EOS-1D Mark IV to perform rather nicely, as you have described
Don't know what went wrong there,it was taken with the 7D + 400/5.6, this is the correct link:

http://www.lincsbirds.co.uk/album/di...?album=2&pos=2

I had checked it on the preview before posting and it worked OK!

David
Old 29th September 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
... the Olympus outfit wouldn't have even found the bird before it disappeared over the trees!

OK I'm officially cofused.
This is a bird on a wire (cue Leonard Cohen dirge) taken by Dean Eades (you? another name?) using a 7D at 700mm focal length according to the EXIF data on that linked page.

You might see why I'm confused David!