Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 26th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Olympus Ignored By Media & Retailers?

Hi,

On foot of having to return my wife's E-410 & 2 kit lenses to her, I've been actively researching all things photo in order to bag myself some gear of my own to replace it - mostly on here and elsewhere on the www.

I bought three photo magazines last week, to while away time when I can't access a computer.

I'm kind of disappointed and a little peeved at the lack of Olympus content in the magazines, both in their articles/reviews, and in the dealer's adverts among the pages - it's all Canon & Nikon, as expected, but the next most commonly appearing brand seems to be Sony, or maybe Pentax. How did that happen?

The quiality & impressiveness on Sony equipment notwithstanding, they've only been in this game a wet day compared to Olympus.

There's some Pen content in the ads, and bugger all in the magazine proper. This doesn't concern me - I have no interest in Pen cameras. But where's the E-System cverage?

Are we all on a dead duck? I read comments about Oly dropping 4/3 to focus on m4/3 - is that the case? Are E-System users foolish to stick with / invest in 4/3 gear?

I really like the E-410, and am quite excited to be getting a new (to me) E-620 soon, and hopefully a 70-300. But it's seeping in to the self-doubt portion of my brain that I might have been wiser to consider this an opportunity to reluctantly move to Canon / Nikon?

HAVE: E-620 | HLD-5 | ED14-42 | ED40-150 | ED70-300
CURIOUS ABOUT: Sigma 50-500 Or | EC-14 For 70-300
DREAM OF: E-5 | HLD-4 | ED7-14| ED14-35 | ED35-100 | ED90-250 | EC-14 | EC-20
Old 26th June 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: Olympus Ignored By Media & Retailers?

One of the advantages of growing older is that as our brain shrivels the self doubt portion shrivels quicker. You had faith in the E-system when you first bought in to it and really nothing has changed in terms of quality and reliability in comparison to other makes. If Olympus ever stop producing DSLRs I am sure that they will have a M4/3rds body that will encompass all the qualities that we have talked about in past threads. So although I have a lot invested in lenses etc. I am not in any way concerned that I won't always have an Olympus system that is as good as I now have.

David
Old 26th June 2011

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I dont know if we will see more 4/3 bodies but after using the EP1 with my 4/3 lenses I cant wait for a Pro version with a grip. The pens are very capable cameras and I am sure in time they will be all most photographers need.
It will be nice to have a smaller lighter choice after lugging my E5 with grip and kit around Bali in 30 deg C and 100 % humidity I for one will put my hand up for one.
Cheers
John
Old 26th June 2011

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,422 Times in 1,144 Posts

Phaedrus what you'e observed appears to be the current public face of Olympus that I find quite depressing. There seems to be almost no marketing at all except for the odd Pen advert. I guess the question you have to ask yourself is do you want to use a Pen with an add on evf or wait for a decent advanced micro 4/3 camera with built in evf. I wouldn't hold your breath for anything else with an OVF unfortunately. If they had done an Exx/Exxx update with E5 IQ and video I'm sure they would have sold boat loads and certainly made it difficult for Pentax to have the resurgence they have recently. I'd have definitely bought one, instead I upgraded to an E620 and feel slightly let down. It's nice yes and has many excellent features, but it's not enough of an upgrade for me from my E510 and I dont want the bulk/weight of an E5. So you may find a slightly used E620 for sale soon if my daughter doesn't want it.
Old 26th June 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

I upgraded from E-1 to E-5 and I am very very pleased with the results in IQ from E-5, particularly Macro and Portrait work. I doubt that I would invest in another camera in my life - I cannot imagine getting better IQ that I do with my E-1 and E-5 and 4/3rds mount Zuiko and Sigma lenses. and I am not going spend this sort of money again ! But I am nearly 60 !

I personally, feel that Olympus/Zuiko is the original primary brand, and now marketing focus is on the 4/3rds range ... Sony et al ! and Olympus have become "publisher" of components - same as one chassis is used for so many cars - same as one drive train is used to power so many chassis and just the interior and badges are different ! Here we have Olympus UK and 4/3rds User Web4Ms !

Its interesting to compare that Tesco are no longer just a Supermarket, who buy bulk and sell cheap FOOD STUFFS making a good profit, now Tesco are a SUPERMARKET, they still do the original bit of buy & sell goods , but the now offer "Prime Location" places for Product Suppliers too ! and are indeed a "market place for not just food, but household goods, savings bank, loans bank etc.,"

Read Alvin Toffler "Future Shock" for how it will turn out ...

Young Peeps are coping better with the fast moving changes in life, they are indeed the CONSUMER SOCIETY, buy the latest and best and bin or eBay the old! But the Elders are not keen to "give up what was once good and the best" and that is seen very clearly by "diehard Olympus Users" and we are, I feel, being left behind ... BUT then I am happy being a Diehard Oly ! I could afford to change to Canon, but I would feel so disloyal to myself ... so its Oly for me, forever!
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
cinders (26th June 2011), stevednp3 (26th June 2011)
Old 26th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At 43 next month, I don't consider myself remotely "old", but I guess I might have an old-fashioned or traditionalist view of serious cameras - I like robust, chunky bodies. My dad's had all sorts in his time as a pro - Bronica & Mamiya medium formats, film SLRs, and dSLRS - and I always felt that big & heavy meant quality & serious.

I'm sure that I'd be peeved at carrying an E-5 in heat for long, but I still want one. Way more than I want a Pen.

It's not a posey thing - I know that folk in the know will know that the Pen (& Lumix, etc) are all powerful cameras - I just like what I like. That said, the small-ish size of the E- series bodies is nice.

I don't really see myself changing from Oly. My bass isn't a Fender, my car is 15 years old, and I like Olympus...

It's just a shame there's a dearth of Oly content out there - if I had one, I'd thank god for this forum... ;-)

Mark

Old 26th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
The quiality & impressiveness on Sony equipment notwithstanding, they've only been in this game a wet day compared to Olympus.
Sony cameras is what used to be Minolta.
Old 26th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So you want to upgrade your 410, you buy three photo mags and expect to see articles/reviews of the OLYMPUS E system.

I'm not a subscriber to any mags, a friend brought over a copy of Digital Photography Enthusiast June issue for me to flick through and there's a review of the OLYMPUS E-PL2 and a comparison of waterproof compacts,(the OLYMPUS getting same star rating as the Canon).

So yes OLYMPUS are still in the spotlight, it just seems that articles on the E-system are, like the product itself, few and far between. The E620 issued April 2009 and the E5 October 2010, you'll need to get back issues for reviews on those. Articles/interviews with "professional photographers" using E-system camera's - I'm sure there are but not in every photo mag, every month.

It seems to me the E-system is a niche product, could you go to your high street or local retail park tomorrow, pop into Argos, PC World, Jessops, Currys, Dixon Tesco and pick up an E620, I'm sure it's easier to get a Canikon.

Only you can decide what system you want to buy in to (or opt out) and if that's because your swayed by a company's marketing budget then Canikons the way to go.

But saying all that though it does seem OLYMPUS are being ignored. I logged on to Digital Photography Enthusiast's website today and noticed that Nikon are heading their "Which is best brand poll". I've aleady sent an e-mail asking why we were omitted.

http://www.digpe.com/

Cheers Paul
Old 26th June 2011

Quote:
At 43 next month, I don't consider myself remotely "old", but I guess I might have an old-fashioned or traditionalist view of serious cameras - I like robust, chunky bodies. ...

I'm sure that I'd be peeved at carrying an E-5 in heat for long, but I still want one. Way more than I want a Pen.

Mark
Mark, I and Nick have just come back from 2 weeks in the Seychelles, he is nearly 70 and me nearly 60 but we both walked and cycled miles each day, up through the tropical Forests (no rain there days were 30 and nights 26! We both had 50-200 lens on, or in our Lowpro backpaks ! and our 14-54 lens too plus batteries and chips, lens clothes, monopods, umbrella's for shade. The heat was not the bother, nor the weight of the cameras+ kit BUT THE IQ !after all, if a low IQ camera and lighter lenses then poorer IQ photos!

the ONE photo album
Old 26th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This thread has made me smile from start to finish

No coverage for Olympus - what a surprise -
Those who've tried it, stick to the brand - what a surprise -

In the end, I would love to see the photography world turn to Oly in droves (and, who knows, that might yet happen IF THEY GET THE NEXT M4/3 CAMERA 100% RIGHT), but I won't break my heart if they don't

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said
Old 26th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Didn't know about Minolta/Sony, but even given that, surely Minolta were always behind Olympus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulg1 View Post
So you want to upgrade your 410, you buy three photo mags and expect to see articles/reviews of the OLYMPUS E system.
Nope, but I didn't expect to see nothing.

Quote:
I'm not a subscriber to any mags, a friend brought over a copy of Digital Photography Enthusiast June issue for me to flick through and there's a review of the OLYMPUS E-PL2 and a comparison of waterproof compacts,(the OLYMPUS getting same star rating as the Canon).

So yes OLYMPUS are still in the spotlight, it just seems that articles on the E-system are, like the product itself, few and far between. The E620 issued April 2009 and the E5 October 2010, you'll need to get back issues for reviews on those. Articles/interviews with "professional photographers" using E-system camera's - I'm sure there are but not in every photo mag, every month.

It seems to me the E-system is a niche product, could you go to your high street or local retail park tomorrow, pop into Argos, PC World, Jessops, Currys, Dixon Tesco and pick up an E620, I'm sure it's easier to get a Canikon.
When I commented on the lack of Olympus content in the magazines, I did refer to both their articles/reviews, and the dealer's adverts among the pages - even the technique articles all feature Canon or Nikon cameras. The Olympus content in adverts is almost exclusively Pens.

Quote:
Only you can decide what system you want to buy in to (or opt out) and if that's because your swayed by a company's marketing budget then Canikons the way to go.
Not sure how you could have picked up that it's a company's marketing budget that might sway me. Seems you might not have read the last paragraph of my original post: "Are we all on a dead duck? I read comments about Oly dropping 4/3 to focus on m4/3 - is that the case? Are E-System users foolish to stick with / invest in 4/3 gear?"

I also said: "I really like the E-410, and am quite excited to be getting a new (to me) E-620 soon, and hopefully a 70-300. But it's seeping in to the self-doubt portion of my brain that I might have been wiser to consider this an opportunity to reluctantly move to Canon / Nikon?"

I also include a string of eek, sob, shock, etc. smilies to indicate how big a deal I considered that notion to be.

Quote:
But saying all that though it does seem OLYMPUS are being ignored. I logged on to Digital Photography Enthusiast's website today and noticed that Nikon are heading their "Which is best brand poll". I've aleady sent an e-mail asking why we were omitted.l
And that's all I'm saying - no whine or moan, just disappointed, and grateful for this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Feel free to do so

John
Hi John, is it the prospect of a move to Canikons that induced your yawn, or is it my sentiments in my posts?

So if, as we all know to be the case, Olympus cameras are very good, why aren't they more high-profile? Is it simply marketing budget? My OM-10 was such a great camera - my first SLR. I wish I'd never sold it.

I'm personally not really interested in the brand's popularity, or their image, or bothered by their lack of coverage in the photo media, other than that meaning there's less to satisfy me when I have the need to read something to do with Olympus.

What concerns me is where will we as E-System users be when Oly are no longer producing 4/3 products? Servicing? Repairs? When third party lens manufacturers end up with just one 4/3 lens in their line-up, after producing some well-respected 4/3 lenses since its inception.

Again, I like the E-410, and am looking forward to the E-620. I was reading up on the 550D, and genuinely considered it - the video functionality is very attractive. But after holding/feeling my mate's 450D, I decided to stick with Oly - even the entry-level E-410 feels a lot better in the hand than the 450D. Both cameras are obviously capable of producing equally impressive photographs, but the Oly feels better/nicer.

Thanks for your replies folks,

Mark

Old 26th June 2011

Quote:

What concerns me is where will we as E-System users be when Oly are no longer producing 4/3 products? Servicing? Repairs? When third party lens manufacturers end up with just one 4/3 lens in their line-up, after producing some well-respected 4/3 lenses since its inception.

Mark
Mark, I suspect the chaps trained in product, in current Oly Service Dept, will form a cluster and advertise on places like here

Its a fact that cars of 100 years old are still repaired and serviced

the ONE photo album
Old 26th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Its a fact that cars of 100 years old are still repaired and serviced
Indeed. My own 94 Corolla was repaired & serviced by myself for all its life with me. Not quite 100 years old, but I suspect that with 267,000kms up on her, she's done a few more miles than some 100 year-old cars...

I get your point.

Mark

Old 26th June 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Mark, I and Nick have just come back from 2 weeks in the Seychelles, he is nearly 70 and me nearly 60 but we both walked and cycled miles each day, up through the tropical Forests (no rain there days were 30 and nights 26! We both had 50-200 lens on, or in our Lowpro backpaks ! and our 14-54 lens too plus batteries and chips, lens clothes, monopods, umbrella's for shade. The heat was not the bother, nor the weight of the cameras+ kit BUT THE IQ !after all, if a low IQ camera and lighter lenses then poorer IQ photos!
On my week in Scotland I walked up to 5 hrs around the reserve and hills carrying my E5 with 300mm f2.8 and EC14 attached, plus my E30 with Leica 14-150mm in a camera case, plus 7-14mm and 50mm f2 in a rucksack with flask, fleece, lunch and a monopod, plus a pair of Leica 8x32 binos - and all in showery weather.

How old am I?

66!

If you love photography the burden of carrying top quality gear is not an issue.

Enjoyed a pint or three when I got back though!

David
Old 26th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd genuinely like to be able to say no offence taken - and I'm not a man who's easily offended, believe me - but to be honest, I do find posting a yawn on a member's thread a bit rude.

I never intended to create a "we're all doomed Oly users" thread. Maybe you saw what you wanted to in my words?

I expect the "should I move to Canikon" question has been asked to death on every Oly forum going, but that's not what I posted.

The crux of my OP was that I was disappointed to see next to no Oly content in a handful of magazines. And again, I said I'm excited to be getting an E-620, ie - sticking with Olympus.

Don't want to get into any tit-for-tat thing, or ruffle anyone's feathers - I'm realtively new here, and I greatly value the wisdom, opinion & advice of all members, but might you have reserved your yawn for the real world, and omitted from the virtual one?

Mark