Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 20th January 2010

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts
DxO Optics Pro 6

Hi Everyone

I am currently trying out the trial version of DxO Optics Pro 6 and thought that some other less experienced newbies like myself might like to see something of the results it can achieve "out of the box" with the default settings.. No doubt more experienced members will tell me I need to practice a lot more to get really good results.
My initial interest in this software stems from my recent acquisition of the superb ZD 9-18mm and the need for some perspective correction. This element of the programme works brilliantly. A single click straightens verticals and crops the image automaticaly, very easy and quick. I have also been impressed by how well the automatic white ballance correction works.

RawTherapee + GIMP

RawTherapee + straightened in Gimp

DxO only

RawTherapee + Gimp

DxO only

Would be interested to learn of others experiences/thoughts on this software

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 20th January 2010
Kiwi Paul

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6

I have the trial version and have processed a few shots with it, I must admit some shots do come out well without any extra processing but I prefer Lightroom as I familiar with it and I like to decide how my pics come out and I enjoy processing photos in LR, I find it lets me put a stamp on them making them uniquely mine. I processed a few shots in LR then let DXO process the same shots for comparison and I preferred my versions.

Paul
Old 20th January 2010

Thanks for your thoughts Paul. Will add them to my evaluation process.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 21st January 2010
steve s

Hi Peter, I have been using the trial version of this software for the last 3 weeks and will be purchasing the full license when this expires. Also like yourself I found that the ZD 9-18mm needs perspective correction, quite a lot infact when you do a comparason). I think its a great bit of software, being new to dslr photography I have tried all the trial versions from other software houses and I found this the most easy and quickest to use, especialy with the batch processing function which I couldnt find on any of the other editing products, no doubt someone will tell me photoshop etc can do this as well, but my mind is now made up, DxO Optics Pro all the way for me!

Steve
Old 21st January 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been using it for a month or so. The main reason for the purchase was the ease and quality of the RAW conversion, even using the default preset. Wanting to shoot RAW at all times I was finding ACR (with Elements7) required a bit too much effort and time from me and I wasn't sure that I was getting the best from it. Batch processing was possible but not as easy as with DxO Optics Pro.

The automatic lens correction is another great benefit that I am starting to appreciate more.

There is no looking back for me.
Old 21st January 2010

Hi steve s and Batman

Thanks for your inputs. I am hoping that the post Christmas dent in the bank ballance will subside before my free trial of DxO Pro runs out . This certainly seems to be the software that will make my RAW conversion and PP less of a chore and more successful .

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 21st January 2010
Kiwi Paul

All the best and hope you find DxO suits your needs. I'm don't know why some folk find post processing a chore though, I think it's a chance to be creative and produce something "unique", I enjoy the pp as much as the photography.

Paul
Old 22nd January 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find that DxO does give a good starting point for further PP when required. I can't really afford the time for individual optimisation of all 'keepers'. I save that time for working on images that I think are a bit special to me (even though they might not be that good compared with the expert's work). I do agree, that PP can provide a great deal of enjoyment, but I am not very skilled at it yet, so it can eat up a lot of time. DxO gives me the opportunity to knock most of my keepers into shape, even if not optimised at this stage.

I also think that the automatic lens correction is really good.

Another factor may be that I don't possess Photoshop CS in any of it's versions, or Lightroom. I only have PSE7.

Also, I did buy DxO at their sale price last year, which I think made it particularly good value. Not sure if that is ongoing as I haven't looked.
Old 22nd January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I find that DxO does give a good starting point for further PP when required. I can't really afford the time for individual optimisation of all 'keepers'. I save that time for working on images that I think are a bit special to me (even though they might not be that good compared with the expert's work). I do agree, that PP can provide a great deal of enjoyment, but I am not very skilled at it yet, so it can eat up a lot of time. DxO gives me the opportunity to knock most of my keepers into shape, even if not optimised at this stage.

I also think that the automatic lens correction is really good.

Another factor may be that I don't possess Photoshop CS in any of it's versions, or Lightroom. I only have PSE7.

Also, I did buy DxO at their sale price last year, which I think made it particularly good value. Not sure if that is ongoing as I haven't looked.
Hi Dave

Your situation ( existing software ) and what you gain from DxO seem to match my perceptions exactly.
Not sure what the sale price you mentioned was but it's 99 now.

Regards

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 22nd January 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Peter,

They were offering it at 69.00 up until the end of December. You could try asking for a discount. It is still probably worth the money though, even at full price.

Regards
Old 22nd January 2010

Liked 1,690 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
They were offering it at 69.00 up until the end of December. You could try asking for a discount. It is still probably worth the money though, even at full price.
Currently shows 99 on their site. Seems a lot of money for something you can get for free e.g. UFRaw, Rawtherapee and others.

Jim