Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 14th February 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
OM-D Advertising

We have critisised Olympus enough in the past for failing to advertse their cameras as effectively as some other brands.

The latest issue of Amateur Photographer, out today, features a double page ad for the E-M5. Not only that, the magazine is sealed with a band that automatically makes you open it at that advert before you can peel the band off. I sense that Olympus feel they have a camera here that they can shout about from the rooftops. Well done Olympus!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
tommy781 (14th February 2012)
Old 14th February 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts
Re: OM-D Advertising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
We have critisised Olympus enough in the past for failing to advertse their cameras as effectively as some other brands.

The latest issue of Amateur Photographer, out today, features a double page ad for the E-M5. Not only that, the magazine is sealed with a band that automatically makes you open it at that advert before you can peel the band off. I sense that Olympus feel they have a camera here that they can shout about from the rooftops. Well done Olympus!
Here, here!
A simple but clever trick to get attention plus good editorial coverage.
It gives you the feeling they really believe in this one and perhaps have taken note of some of the comments on here and elsewhere regarding their past marketing performance.
Having read the specs etc on here it seems to me that the "pre order" package price of around 1150 for body,lens and grip (including 20% VAT) is pretty competitive.
Well done indeed.

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 15th February 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Here, here!
A simple but clever trick to get attention plus good editorial coverage.
It gives you the feeling they really believe in this one and perhaps have taken note of some of the comments on here and elsewhere regarding their past marketing performance.
Having read the specs etc on here it seems to me that the "pre order" package price of around 1150 for body,lens and grip (including 20% VAT) is pretty competitive.
Well done indeed.

Regards
Yes, I think this time they have a real winner and they know it!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 15th February 2012

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

There was a thread on here some time ago where someone asked what people wanted from a new m4/3 body.

I wanted a weather/dust sealed body with a built in viewfinder. It ticks all the boxes for me.

I'd be an early adopter if I could see a way of attaching an AS quick release plate. As it is I'll wait until some of the custom QR plate makers have had time to find a solution.

David M's Photoblog
Old 15th February 2012

Liked 734 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
There was a thread on here some time ago where someone asked what people wanted from a new m4/3 body.

I wanted a weather/dust sealed body with a built in viewfinder. It ticks all the boxes for me.
Same here. Mine is on order

Ciao ... John
Old 15th February 2012

Liked 190 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
I'd be an early adopter if I could see a way of attaching an AS quick release plate. As it is I'll wait until some of the custom QR plate makers have had time to find a solution.
Personally I'll probably end up making one if I do splash out on the camera, but having a look at Page 10 of the manual, it looks like pretty much any plain plate will fit. The Acratech OM one looks to be a good possibility, which would be a happy coincidence.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!

Last edited by peak4; 16th February 2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: coloured in the link
Old 15th February 2012
Administrator

I use a Manfrotto 394 QR plate, a hangover from my Medium Format days which frankly looks ridiculous on a Pen, but it certainly holds it firm! I suspect David wants to use a plate with an anti rotation pin that locates in a matching hole in the camera base plate, which is great for preventing twist when a long, heavy lens is mounted.

Old 15th February 2012

Quote:
I suspect David wants to use a plate with an anti rotation pin that locates in a matching hole in the camera base plate, which is great for preventing twist when a long, heavy lens is mounted.
Yes, or a lipped plate.

Actually, it occurred to me today that if I get the battery grip thingy and leave it attached I could use a lipped plate.

David M's Photoblog
Old 16th February 2012

The link in my earlier post should take you to a lipped plate which looks like it may fit the bare camera.

They're Watching You!
Old 16th February 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
The link in my earlier post should take you to a lipped plate which looks like it may fit the bare camera.
I've got a few of the RRS equivalent plate. But it appears from the photos that the rear screen goes all the way to the base of the camera.

David M's Photoblog
Old 16th February 2012

Quote:
I've got a few of the RRS equivalent plate. But it appears from the photos that the rear screen goes all the way to the base of the camera.
I was actually thinking about fitting it the other way round with the lip to the front, but obviously not certain it would work without having the bits in front of me.
I would have thought a plain plate would do the job though.
I know the plain anodised plates are prone to slipping with the camera in portrait format.
The last universal plate I made has two spring loaded detent pins and a slot for the screw allowing it to fit most 4/3s Olympus bodies without slipping.

If you head for a decent car spares and obtain some gasket material, it makes a very good non slip surface when stuck to the plain anodised plates. The stuff I'm thinking of is just about 1mm thick and is made of a mixture of cork & rubber granules bonded together to form a thin sheet. A bit of double sided tape and the job's a good un. It works far better than the pure cork sheet sometimes supplied on commercial tripod plates.

They're Watching You!
Old 16th February 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
I was actually thinking about fitting it the other way round with the lip to the front, but obviously not certain it would work without having the bits in front of me.
I had considered that but don't how well it would work as the lip would have to butt up against the front of the projection where the lens mounts so I'd have to see one to check if it would work.

A shorter plate would work better that way round so the plate doesn't stick out of the sides of the body projection.

David M's Photoblog
Old 17th February 2012

Quote:
Yes, I think this time they have a real winner and they know it!
Interestingly I've just been to the Linkedin group for Olympus pros. A few are talking of getting out of 4/3 and moving to a different system. They don't regard the E-M5 as a pro camera and don't want to use their HG and SHG glass on a m4/3 body.

I don't know how many are really pros, you don't have to prove you're a pro to sign up. Of course, they maybe the sort of 'pros' I'm referring to in my sig.

David M's Photoblog
Old 15th February 2012

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

March WDC arrived this morning with exactly the same band wrap around....Brilliant
Old 17th February 2012

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,139 Posts

How about this for advertising.
http://syndicate.sellpoint.net/Syndi...vsr_sku=842930