Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day Your selections from the e-group gallery featured each day as the Picture of the Day! Please send nominations to forum-admin@e-group.uk.net

Old 23rd April 2017

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts
Re: Somebody just has to do it!!

Err yes John, but you neglected to comment on my suggestions. On balance the idea seems a great way for many of us to get to grips with putting stuff in a Gallery and also encourage all of us to look at what others put up - not in a competitive environment.
The Following User Says Thank You to iso For This Useful Post:
Wee man (24th April 2017)
Old 24th April 2017

John, I guess your reference to Members putting stuff onto Flicker etc., ( in preference to also putting them onto the Galley), could be taken as a criticism In which case I agree with you.
OK flaunt your stuff to the wider audience, but still support your local Shop.
Wee man (24th April 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (24th April 2017)
Old 24th April 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
John, I guess your reference to Members putting stuff onto Flicker etc., ( in preference to also putting them onto the Galley), could be taken as a criticism In which case I agree with you.
OK flaunt your stuff to the wider audience, but still support your local Shop.
Obviously we would prefer members to post their pictures in the gallery but we don't want to discourage people from using the forum to display their work by the method that suits them best.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Johnheatingman (24th April 2017)
Old 25th April 2017

John - maybe we are at cross purposes. Sure post your stuff wherever you want, but don't deny this Community to see them too.

Anyway can we come back to the original point - why not revive POTMonth????
Old 26th April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
I think it's actually POTD under discussion in the thread. As we already have the POTD Board, all that's needed is the support and participation of the membership.

Good luck.

John
Day or Month
I thought the idea of this Thread was to revive some kind of Gallery Review.
Given some of the comments earlier, I thought a Monthly Thread would gather more momentum than a POTD.
To prevent going round in circles could I boldly suggest that the Mods look at creating a monthly thread that encompasses the OP's original ideas?
Old 26th April 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Day or Month
I thought the idea of this Thread was to revive some kind of Gallery Review.
Given some of the comments earlier, I thought a Monthly Thread would gather more momentum than a POTD.
To prevent going round in circles could I boldly suggest that the Mods look at creating a monthly thread that encompasses the OP's original ideas?
Sure, I can create a thread (as can anybody), but how do you see it working? Will it just be there for members to use to showcase pictures they have found in the Gallery that they like? Or will there be some form of public vote to decide which image is designated POTM?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th April 2017

JOHN - Got it.
The Thread is a Sticky.
It's called Pick of the Gallery POTG -
Members choose a pic from Galleries to nominate as their choice.
They must make a comment why they like the Pic, and obviously the photographer must be credited (if not obvious).
The range of Galleries allowed to be selected goes back to 1000 BC, provided it's micro four thirds stuff.
There is no Judging/winning.

IMHO - this might get more people looking at Galleries/posting stuff to Galleries, and generally participating in a non-competitive environment.

Of course I could be wrong
Zuiko (27th April 2017)
Zuiko (27th April 2017)
Old 27th April 2017
Administrator

Quote:
JOHN - Got it.
The Thread is a Sticky.
It's called Pick of the Gallery POTG -
Members choose a pic from Galleries to nominate as their choice.
They must make a comment why they like the Pic, and obviously the photographer must be credited (if not obvious).
The range of Galleries allowed to be selected goes back to 1000 BC, provided it's micro four thirds stuff.
There is no Judging/winning.

IMHO - this might get more people looking at Galleries/posting stuff to Galleries, and generally participating in a non-competitive environment.

Of course I could be wrong
Okay, let's give it a try - but we cannot exclude pictures taken on Olympus Four Thirds DSLRs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
iso (28th April 2017)
Old 27th April 2017

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

Can we have a rational for only MICRO four thirds what I like about this site is it caters for the E system not just only one part of it. Why cut out a lot of members and more importantly a lot of very good work taken using E system equipment.
One of the results is that work in galleries more than about three years old will not count; shame!
If we believe that it is not the equipment but how it is used then let us show the full range, why exclude members work who only have access to 4/3's kit?

I have in the past pushed to keep the idea of showing good work from galleries, but if this limit of micro work only is enforced I may look the odd time but will not take part.

Thoughts from Ed

Wee Man

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wee man For This Useful Post:
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (27th April 2017), Zuiko (27th April 2017)
Old 27th April 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Can we have a rational for only MICRO four thirds what I like about this site is it caters for the E system not just only one part of it. Why cut out a lot of members and more importantly a lot of very good work taken using E system equipment.
One of the results is that work in galleries more than about three years old will not count; shame!
If we believe that it is not the equipment but how it is used then let us show the full range, why exclude members work who only have access to 4/3's kit?

I have in the past pushed to keep the idea of showing good work from galleries, but if this limit of micro work only is enforced I may look the odd time but will not take part.

Thoughts from Ed

Wee Man
Don't worry Ed, that's not going to happen - see the thread I have just set up http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44941

I think ISO, as a more recent user of Olympus cameras, was overlooking the distinction between the Olympus DSLRs, which use the original Four Thirds standard, and the newer mirrorless cameras that are designated Micro Four Thirds. Essentially they are the same format, because the sensor dimensions and aspect ratio are identical.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
iso (28th April 2017)
Johnheatingman (27th April 2017)
Old 27th April 2017
Administrator

I'm more than happy to try ISO's suggestion for POTG (Pick Of The Gallery) as I believe it is desirable to encourage greater use of the fantastic resource that is our Gallery. With this in mind I have opened a new dedicated thread in Foto Fare, where it will hopefully enjoy more prominence than if it was posted in the essentially dormant Picture of the Day section. If it proves successful I will ask Ian to Create a new board.

Link to the new thread: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44941