Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 11th September 2009
Bonsaidad

Looking through the gateway

A view of the gateway to Neath castle which is not normally seen by the public due to the gate being locked, but i was luck enough to catch the gate open and took full advantage.

This is a Norman castle built sometime in the 12th or 13th century, and has seen it share of battles.
At one time it was attacked by marauding Welsh rebels, and they slaughtered over a thousand soldiers and towns folk.

Comments and critique welcome.

Best regards Paul
Old 11th September 2009

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
Re: Looking through the gateway

Great treatment - really gives you a feel of the texture of the stone.
Old 11th September 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

HDR is always difficult as far as reviewing for 'perfection'. What is one reviewing - the aesthetic intent behind the treatment, how well the software performed or the original image.

OK - the image, the camera doesn't seem to be straight, probably needs a 2-3% shift anti-clockwise judging by the railings and the corner of the tower. Also there is something a bit off on the perspective. Despite the hdr there are signs of burn around the edge of the gateway - if this was taken with multiple exposures then the range wasn't great enough on the 'dark side'.

Now as to the treatment - well HDR has taken it well past the normal white balance, the sky is tobacco and areas of the grass tend to white. Now HDR allows you to emphasise a characteristic and Paul can argue he was making a point about the colour of stone and the 'mood' he wanted to express, and that is unanswerable - but...

Actually I quite like the result - but question its 'perfection' as a photograph.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 11th September 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Awesome feedback there Nick, full marks for providing super thought and opinion on this image.

I always feel bad about commenting in the 'Looking for Perfection' section, as I haven't posted any images in here and therefore don't feel qualified to offer critique.

However...

I am not sure that the portrait orientation suits this image Paul, as the leading lines extend to the edge of the shot and cut off the remainder of what one might have expected to see i.e. the rest of the castle wall. The WB, as Nick already points out - is way off, and the HDR treatment is sort of, well... a non-entity for me on this one I'm afraid.

It also looks a few stops underexposed to me?

Overall, I like the image, especially the stonework - but feel the composition could be improved - and I only say this Paul as this is in the 'Looking for Perfection' section.

Old 11th September 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post
Great treatment - really gives you a feel of the texture of the stone.
Thank you Gregles for the reply, and for your comments.

Best regards Paul.
Old 11th September 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsaidad View Post
Thank you Gregles for the reply, and for your comments.
Hey Paul - are Nick and I invisible then...?

Old 11th September 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Patience John - he is still replying

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 11th September 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Patience John - he is still replying

Nick
I know Nick... only ribbing Paul... hence the smilie

Old 11th September 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
HDR is always difficult as far as reviewing for 'perfection'. What is one reviewing - the aesthetic intent behind the treatment, how well the software performed or the original image.

OK - the image, the camera doesn't seem to be straight, probably needs a 2-3% shift anti-clockwise judging by the railings and the corner of the tower. Also there is something a bit off on the perspective. Despite the HDR there are signs of burn around the edge of the gateway - if this was taken with multiple exposures then the range wasn't great enough on the 'dark side'.

Now as to the treatment - well HDR has taken it well past the normal white balance, the sky is tobacco and areas of the grass tend to white. Now HDR allows you to emphasis a characteristic and Paul can argue he was making a point about the color of stone and the 'mood' he wanted to express, and that is unanswerable - but...

Actually I quite like the result - but question its 'perfection' as a photograph.

Nick

Firstly Nick, a big thanks for you very constructive critique, and from that i can take a step closer to perfecting my images.
I think that a ruin like this deserves to be set in a moody atmosphere instead of the normal blue sky you see quite often, or maybe the occasional cloud.
With this image i felt i had to make the most of it, so i set about in Elements7 to create that atmosphere i desired.
I think i am getting better with my processing, but still have a lot to learn about Photoshop and its possibilities.
So by looking for perfection, and in the process getting advice from a different point of view, from a different pair of eyes, and a different interpretation of the image, keeping this in mind and putting this into practice i can strive to better my photography and finishing of the end result.

Thats enough of me wittering on.

Best regards Paul
Old 11th September 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Awesome feedback there Nick, full marks for providing super thought and opinion on this image.

I always feel bad about commenting in the 'Looking for Perfection' section, as I haven't posted any images in here and therefore don't feel qualified to offer critique.

However...

I am not sure that the portrait orientation suits this image Paul, as the leading lines extend to the edge of the shot and cut off the remainder of what one might have expected to see i.e. the rest of the castle wall. The WB, as Nick already points out - is way off, and the HDR treatment is sort of, well... a non-entity for me on this one I'm afraid.

It also looks a few stops underexposed to me?

Overall, I like the image, especially the stonework - but feel the composition could be improved - and I only say this Paul as this is in the 'Looking for Perfection' section.
I see you John

Thanks for your input to this thread.

I am glad you have made a comment on this image, as i need to get other members points of view.
You know they could say something to me, and i will stop and think, "you know they are right!", and that will alter how i treat my next subject.
As to composition, i know! i have to try different things to find out the wrong, and the right way to do things, and i know this is maybe! not the right way, it all depends who is looking at it as we all have different tastes, ( what a dull world it would be if we did not ).
But i would rather you comment on my images, than say nothing and i continue to put out crap.
Old 11th September 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hey Paul - are Nick and I invisible then...?
Peek-a-boo :
Old 11th September 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I quite like the colour effect on the stone, and even on the sky, but find the sunshine on the foreground at odds with the effect I think you are trying for.

I agree with Nick about the image not being straight.

A final comment - the bench needs cloning out or otherwise excluding as it is at odds with the "feeling" of the old stonework.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 11th September 2009
Administrator

Liked 507 Times in 281 Posts

Hi Paul

I also not very brave - like the "invisible" John i've only rarely ventured into this section. But as you have done so ... here's my 2 penneth

What I'm not sure about ( and it's a problem I often have ) is the 1/2 a building look. Sometimes it's needed, but I don't see balance here and pictures look good with either loads or none 1/2 and arch is better than none, but maybe a wider view would be better

I'm also not a fan of green skies.. I had some cheap polarising filters that did that once.

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 11th September 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I quite like the color effect on the stone, and even on the sky, but find the sunshine on the foreground at odds with the effect I think you are trying for.

I agree with Nick about the image not being straight.

A final comment - the bench needs cloning out or otherwise excluding as it is at odds with the "feeling" of the old stonework.

Thank you Stephen for your input to this thread.

I can always darken the area where the sun is shining, just to blend in with the rest of the mood, as for the bench i will most definitely consider removing it on a copy, just to see what it looks like.

Best regards Paul
Old 11th September 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
Hi Paul

I also not very brave - like the "invisible" John i've only rarely ventured into this section. But as you have done so ... here's my 2 penneth

What I'm not sure about ( and it's a problem I often have ) is the 1/2 a building look. Sometimes it's needed, but I don't see balance here and pictures look good with either loads or none 1/2 and arch is better than none, but maybe a wider view would be better

I'm also not a fan of green skies.. I had some cheap polarising filters that did that once.

Regards
Andy
Hi Andy, thanks for your comments.

This was just one of about four others i took, five different exposures per image, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2.
Now the others show the full gateway, but i am still working on them and this happened to be the first one finished.
I want to try various finishes to the sky to see which is best for that particular image, and of course it will vary from photo to photo, all part of artistic license .

Best regards Paul