Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 30th November 2007

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts
What is the best "protection" filter?

Hi

I am looking at the new Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 SWD lens.

This would be my most expensive lens to date so I would value recommendations as to the best filter to put on to "protect" the lens. E.g. :

1) UV 0 or Skylight (1A, 1B) filter?

2) Quality to purchase e.g. Hoya have several versions, would you need the top of the range model to go with this class of lens?

3) Best brand, (I only have experience of Hoya glass filters)

Many thanks
Old 30th November 2007

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: What is the best "protection" filter?

Hoya also make filters just to protect the lens i.e. not UV or Skylight in their Pro range. I have one on my 14-54mm lens (67mm thread).

B&W are another brand that are well thought of.
Old 30th November 2007
Jim

I have always found B&W filters to be rated very highly. Plus they are made in Germany as far as I know.

They offer MRC (Multi Resistant Coating) versions which are very good.

Other than that the Hoya Pro-1 series and Pro-1 Digital series are also well talked about.
Old 30th November 2007
emirpprime

I've always used UV, as I find the effect can be helpful on some sunny days. But no good reason really. I would choose B&W over Hoya, but thats just general opinion I've heard, again, not good personal reason. Lastly, get the best quality one you can, at least Multi-Coated (or your chosen manufacturers version of). Otherwise you will be loosing the optical quality of the lens, getting more flare, and less sharpness.
Must go shopping for one myself.
All the best,
Phil
Old 30th November 2007

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

The other thing to consider is how thick the filter is - if you are going to add a circular polarising filter onto the front of a UV filter on a wide angle lens you can get vignetting in the form of the corners of the photo being darkened. If you use the wide angle lens a lot it would be worth seeing if can get the thin version of a filter.
For me, I've always used a skylight or UV filter on the front of a lens - this not only takes the knocks (hopefully infrequent) but also helps cut out some of the 'haze' in landscape photos without affecting the lens aperture f stop. To afford a quality filter would be nice but at the price of some of the high end filters (especially with polarisers) and knowing what can be done with software on the computer afterwards (a non-purist view perhaps but there always is some editing to do!) I tend to look for a good quality mid price 'bargain' on the internet.
Good luck
Chris
Old 1st December 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 1,705 Times in 772 Posts

I wouldn't use Skylight filters as these are visibly magenta. UV are very slightly yellow, but this is much more preferable.

I don't personally use protective filters. I do use circular polarisers and I may invest in a ND graduated for very contrasty scenes that need the sky recovering.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 1st December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I don't personally use protective filters. I do use circular polarisers and I may invest in a ND graduated for very contrasty scenes that need the sky recovering.
Ian
I can only wholeheartedly agree with this. If you are worried about knocking the front element use a lens hood at all times it has certainly proved its worth to me. I am also lucky enough to own a Leica M8 outfit and it really galls me that I have to fit IR cut filters to get a proper result. Not why I bought Leica and is the reason I rediscovered Olympus.

Mike
Old 1st December 2007
Jim

If you wnat to avoid any 'effect' you can get a clear 'protector' filter. I think Hoya do a Pro-1 digital version.
Old 1st December 2007

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

Many thanks for all the replies.

I am tending towards a UV or clear filter. Will have to look into finding one of those Hoya clear filters. Mainly because I tend to use my camera out doors a lot so get splashes of rain on the front (downside of living in the UK ).

Don't mind cleaning a filter but get worried when you have to clean the actual lens. Those multi coating layers are so thin is it really safe to keep cleaning the front element on a lens?

p.s. got my SWD lens today but no filter yet
Old 1st December 2007
Scapula Memory

Not sure about what the best protection filter is but I have Hoya UVs on all my lenses. My experience in the past of children, slobbery animals, and minor lapses in judgement most certainly have saved the lens from potential damage. All very well having a lens hood on but sometimes this is not practical.

I also wonder if the coatings on a lens can be affected by regular cleaning? A while back I did some test pictures in my garden at different apertures and speeds with and without a filter using my 14-54. I was shooting a black reflective composter ( yes I need to get out more!) I know it is not conclusive but there was no difference at all in the results. Perhaps under certain conditions there could be, but could it be anything that cannot be fixed PP?

I realise there are those who do and those who do not, but for me having the UV filter on for protection works. Good glass is a lot of money.

John
Old 2nd December 2007
SteveB

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
The other thing to consider is how thick the filter is - if you are going to add a circular polarising filter onto the front of a UV filter on a wide angle lens you can get vignetting in the form of the corners of the photo being darkened........Chris
I would suggest it's never a good idea to 'stack' filters. Apart from the obvious risk of vignetting, every piece of glass placed in front of a lens - no matter how good optically - is adding to the risk of degrading the image (if only due to reflections occurring between the filters).

Last edited by SteveB; 2nd December 2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 3rd December 2007

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Smile Re: What is the best "protection" filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
Many thanks for all the replies.

I am tending towards a UV or clear filter. Will have to look into finding one of those Hoya clear filters. Mainly because I tend to use my camera out doors a lot so get splashes of rain on the front (downside of living in the UK ).

Don't mind cleaning a filter but get worried when you have to clean the actual lens. Those multi coating layers are so thin is it really safe to keep cleaning the front element on a lens?

p.s. got my SWD lens today but no filter yet
after reading the threads on protection only filters i found some from here

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...oryid~191.html

hope this might help someone

PS this firm are about £11 cheaper than Warehouse Express

Last edited by flying haggis; 3rd December 2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: more info added
Old 3rd December 2007
Jim

With the 12-60 taking a 72mm filter, this company are very keen with prices, I have used them twice before and been more than happy with service.

Hoya DMC Pro 1 Protector 72mm @ 29.99
http://www.surreyphotographyshop.co.....php?cPath=131

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...oryid~191.html are 38.95

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?PHO....html#PC314575 are 47.40!
Old 4th December 2007
PeterD

Thanks for the tip. Just bought the E3 + 12 60 lens and was looking for a protective filter.

PeterD
Old 4th December 2007
Jim

No problem.

Surrey Photographic stock Hoya, Cokin, Kenko and Kood filters & filter accessories amongst many ofther camera/photography accessories.