Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 8th October 2016

Liked 125 Times in 84 Posts
Britian ruining lager brands!

I love my lagers in particular Belgium and German beers. If Im somewhere that doesnt sell my tipple I will either drink stout or traditional continental beers, such as Grolsch, Heineken, Kozel. Most beers I drink would be +5% ABV.

Anyway over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that the flavour of Grolsch and Kozel has changed. Both taste exactly the same. Grolsch has lost its distinctive smell and taste, as too has Kozel. I then went online and have found the answer, both are now owned in part/full by SABMILLER and grolsch is brewed under licence in UK as too is Kronenburg. In my opinion Im yet to see any positives in this as all seem to have lost their unique flavours and taste the same. Im really surprised no one else has raised this issue before me.
Old 8th October 2016

Liked 126 Times in 92 Posts
Re: Britian ruining lager brands!

I only drink larger when overseas.
Beers brewed under license in the UK have been the way of things for many years.

I have to admit I prefer darker beers anyway - which are getting harder to find in supermarkets these days. They often have the 'Blonde' or 'Triple' versions of some classic Belgian brews but rarely stock the much nicer 'Brune' or Double versions.

I've never seen anywhere in the UK selling the best Heineken or Grolsch beers. Both breweries make a fantastic 'Bok' and their 'Oud Brune' is also very drinkable. I've only ever seen either in Holland & sadly don't go over there as much now.
Old 8th October 2016

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

I think most of what has been said here is perhaps just one of the reasons as to why 'Real Ale' has gradually taken a front seat in the beer stakes. I'm not sure whether it is old age or the fact my taste budswere trashed by eating a deep fried Mars bar - one bite was more than enough but for quite a few years I've found many beers / lagers, including those on the continent with much the same taste as well as being over gassy. So much so that my intake went down to one or two pints per month. Coupled with the local pub prices, of around 3:50 to 5, even more in some establishments and we're suffering a double whammy... paying OTT for gnat's whatsis. Pub prices these day's I believe reflect the fact that supermarket prices cut back on the intake when out on the town = lower revenue intake.

BTW, my two pints worth are due to long walks and the pubs being dog friendly and smoke free.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 8th October 2016

Liked 125 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post

BTW, my two pints worth are due to long walks and the pubs being dog friendly and smoke free.
Forgot about this and its a very good point, More and more pubs are becomming dog friendly.