Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 25th September 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 10,129
Thanks: 413
Thanked 586 Times in 497 Posts
Likes: 3,494
Liked 2,514 Times in 1,647 Posts
Re: Climate Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
What would you suggest we do about these feckless girls and the children they've "popped out" Tim ? Do we build tented camps to house these feckless girls and their children, stop any benefits being paid, sit back and watch the children suffer from malnutrition ? Maybe your solution would be mandatory sterilisation of all males and females over a certain age ? The mind boggles.

Jax
Many of the 'feckless girls and boys' referred to 'who are popping 'em out' live in the many thousands of post-industrial shitholes that we have allowed to be created around this country. It should come as no surprise that the majority of those who are 'popping 'em out' were themselves 'popped out' less than a generation previously, and probably their parents too.

I don't know what the answer is but surely we need raise the aspirations of these young people above simply 'popping out' yet another generation and getting a free council flat?

Perhaps the biggest lesson is not to create communities which are entirely dependent on one industry as all industries tend to be transient in the longer term. The effects of closing coal mines and steelworks in this area have been disastrous to the communities concerned. Whilst it would have been unrealistic to keep those industries going with government money there needs to be much better planning and education for future employment.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 25th September 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,088
Thanks: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Likes: 376
Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts
Re: Climate Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
What would you suggest we do about these feckless girls and the children they've "popped out" Tim ? Do we build tented camps to house these feckless girls and their children, stop any benefits being paid, sit back and watch the children suffer from malnutrition ? Maybe your solution would be mandatory sterilisation of all males and females over a certain age ? The mind boggles.

Jax
Well, for a start we could stop paying child benefits to ‘families’ with more than two children, starting in 10 months.
I’m not suggesting mandatory sterilisation, just saying that you shouldn’t have kids you can’t afford (listening for the wailing of ‘but think of the children’ ) and expect others to fund your lifestyle choices.
You obviously think it’s OK to keep pumping out children while on benefits, having never worked? Never paid taxes, only ever taken from the state, well I don’t and I begrudge my tax going to fund these people while the NHS collapses under the strain and the elderly get treated like 3rd class citizens, despite probably having contributed more to society than a whole street of feckless wasters. The ones with a bun in the oven, pushing a pram containing yet another while two others run alongside with at least one dog. We couldn’t afford that when we were first married and both working hard, all hours under the sun, so why the feck do these people think they have the right to.
Rant over!!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 25th September 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,088
Thanks: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Likes: 376
Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts
Re: Climate Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Many of the 'feckless girls and boys' referred to 'who are popping 'em out' live in the many thousands of post-industrial shitholes that we have allowed to be created around this country. It should come as no surprise that the majority of those who are 'popping 'em out' were themselves 'popped out' less than a generation previously, and probably their parents too.

I don't know what the answer is but surely we need raise the aspirations of these young people above simply 'popping out' yet another generation and getting a free council flat?

Perhaps the biggest lesson is not to create communities which are entirely dependent on one industry as all industries tend to be transient in the longer term. The effects of closing coal mines and steelworks in this area have been disastrous to the communities concerned. Whilst it would have been unrealistic to keep those industries going with government money there needs to be much better planning and education for future employment.
That might work if we still had anything that could vaguely be described as an ‘industry’! We’ve got a service sector but that’s kinda two extremes, you’ve got financial services and the like at the top then at the other end you’ve got tourism etc. Don’t know about you but every time I eat out, be it pub, restaurant, cafe, tea room etc I always seem to get served by a pleasant, effective and helpful ‘foreigner’ (great, bring it on) If there is a Brit working there you can usually make a guess that they don’t really want to be there.

Like you, I don’t know what the solution is, that’s above my pay grade and it’s what we pay the political elite to do, trouble is, there are no elite anymore, just the incompetent, self serving, self ingratiating idiots we see around us, no matter what party they claim to represent. Just look at the current debacle.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 25th September 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 10,129
Thanks: 413
Thanked 586 Times in 497 Posts
Likes: 3,494
Liked 2,514 Times in 1,647 Posts
Re: Climate Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
That might work if we still had anything that could vaguely be described as an ‘industry’! We’ve got a service sector but that’s kinda two extremes, you’ve got financial services and the like at the top then at the other end you’ve got tourism etc. Don’t know about you but every time I eat out, be it pub, restaurant, cafe, tea room etc I always seem to get served by a pleasant, effective and helpful ‘foreigner’ (great, bring it on) If there is a Brit working there you can usually make a guess that they don’t really want to be there.

Like you, I don’t know what the solution is, that’s above my pay grade and it’s what we pay the political elite to do, trouble is, there are no elite anymore, just the incompetent, self serving, self ingratiating idiots we see around us, no matter what party they claim to represent. Just look at the current debacle.
We don't have a lot of manufacturing industry remaining, although the motor industry still employs a good number of people.

However, there are now some massive distribution centres that presumably employ a lot of people. Amazon is building one a few miles from us and it is the size of a small town. How long will they be there though? If our government ever finds a way of making Amazon pay something like the correct amount of taxes they will probably bu99er off just as quickly as they came, leaving yet another shithole behind.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 25th September 2019
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,198
Thanks: 98
Thanked 288 Times in 253 Posts
Likes: 1,111
Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts
Re: Climate Change

I'm not sure those massive distribution centres do employ a lot of people; they are mostly highly automated aren't they?
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 25th September 2019
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,243
Thanks: 1,998
Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Likes: 3,474
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts
Re: Climate Change

Glad we're avoiding the Climate Change pitfall of shifting the blame to specific groups…..
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Beagletorque (28th September 2019)
  #52  
Old 25th September 2019
Graham_of_Rainham's Avatar
Graham_of_Rainham Graham_of_Rainham is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rainham
Posts: 8,222
Thanks: 647
Thanked 950 Times in 735 Posts
Likes: 2,312
Liked 1,623 Times in 936 Posts
Re: Climate Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Glad we're avoiding the Climate Change pitfall of shifting the blame to specific groups…..
Wot! It’s all the Cats & Dogs eating cows that’s causing the problems!
__________________
Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 25th September 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 10,129
Thanks: 413
Thanked 586 Times in 497 Posts
Likes: 3,494
Liked 2,514 Times in 1,647 Posts
Re: Climate Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Well, for a start we could stop paying child benefits to ‘families’ with more than two children, starting in 10 months.
I’m not suggesting mandatory sterilisation, just saying that you shouldn’t have kids you can’t afford (listening for the wailing of ‘but think of the children’ ) and expect others to fund your lifestyle choices.
You obviously think it’s OK to keep pumping out children while on benefits, having never worked? Never paid taxes, only ever taken from the state, well I don’t and I begrudge my tax going to fund these people while the NHS collapses under the strain and the elderly get treated like 3rd class citizens, despite probably having contributed more to society than a whole street of feckless wasters. The ones with a bun in the oven, pushing a pram containing yet another while two others run alongside with at least one dog. We couldn’t afford that when we were first married and both working hard, all hours under the sun, so why the feck do these people think they have the right to.
Rant over!!

Whilst I have some sympathy with your viewpoint we need to remember these are still human beings! To put it bluntly, what else have they got to do with their time?

Our mistake, collectively, was to invest so much into the old heavy industries, to build vast communities around them, and to believe that they would always be there. If we build entire towns and housing estates to serve just one industry we shouldn't be surprised that serious social problems arise when that one industry shuts up shop or moves away. Seemingly our politicians are surprised though.

Education, or the lack of, is another factor. How do we persuade youngsters that there is life beyond the local pit/steelworks/distribution centre, and that those places may not always be there?
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (26th September 2019)
  #54  
Old 25th September 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 10,129
Thanks: 413
Thanked 586 Times in 497 Posts
Likes: 3,494
Liked 2,514 Times in 1,647 Posts
Re: Climate Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I'm not sure those massive distribution centres do employ a lot of people; they are mostly highly automated aren't they?
Well, the new centre at Darlington is expected to employ in excess of 1,000 people. If nothing else the delivery drivers will need to live somewhere.

Unfortunately Darlington Borough Council has refused to do anything to improve the local roads to reduce congestion, and they have no plans for service buses to serve the plant.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 25th September 2019
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,198
Thanks: 98
Thanked 288 Times in 253 Posts
Likes: 1,111
Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts
Re: Climate Change

The usual failure to see the bigger picture, something which seems to be endemic in this country!

I have to go to Darlington tomorrow for a hospital appointment. It's at 2:15pm and it would normally take me about 75 minutes to get there. Except that the UCI Cycling Championships have resulted in road closures between here and Darlo tomorrow which means I have to leave home at least two hours earlier to avoid the closures (or take an entirely different route), and there will doubtless be considerable congestion from spectators and officials wanting to use the roads as well. Then I'll be twiddling my thumbs in Darlo for a couple of hours. That's irrelevant to this thread and just a rant, sorry, but I feel better for it!
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 25th September 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 10,129
Thanks: 413
Thanked 586 Times in 497 Posts
Likes: 3,494
Liked 2,514 Times in 1,647 Posts
Re: Climate Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
The usual failure to see the bigger picture, something which seems to be endemic in this country!

I have to go to Darlington tomorrow for a hospital appointment. It's at 2:15pm and it would normally take me about 75 minutes to get there. Except that the UCI Cycling Championships have resulted in road closures between here and Darlo tomorrow which means I have to leave home at least two hours earlier to avoid the closures (or take an entirely different route), and there will doubtless be considerable congestion from spectators and officials wanting to use the roads as well. Then I'll be twiddling my thumbs in Darlo for a couple of hours. That's irrelevant to this thread and just a rant, sorry, but I feel better for it!
The Head of Steam museum in North Road is well worth a visit if you haven't been there before.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 25th September 2019
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,198
Thanks: 98
Thanked 288 Times in 253 Posts
Likes: 1,111
Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts
Re: Climate Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
The Head of Steam museum in North Road is well worth a visit if you haven't been there before.
I have, and yes it is. Better still, as a volunteer at my local museum I get free admission to many others via the Northern Museums Volunteers Pass scheme! Thanks for the reminder Nigel .
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (25th September 2019)
  #58  
Old 28th September 2019
Dewi9 Dewi9 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lincoln, UK
Posts: 601
Thanks: 16
Thanked 72 Times in 52 Posts
Likes: 19
Liked 106 Times in 58 Posts
Re: Climate Change

Getting back to the Climate Change question, what should we do (as a Country) to limit the effects on our way of life ?

The general feeling is that there has to be BIG changes - maybe a complete ban cars with internal combustion engines with haulage returning to railway, a complete ban on gas central heating (maybe we will not need heating when the weather picks up), a ban on commuting (work from home where possible) etc.

Should we have a National Discussion on the above with a Referendum afterwards, which becomes law and the HMGovernment has to implement the results ?

What about infrastructure ? How many would like to see HS2 scrapped, HS3 implemented (the Middle/Northern bit, electrified naturally) and money provided for a National Water Grid from North to South to distribute this essential resource ?

Should we plant millions more trees (a weekend job) ?

Lots to think about.

David

Last edited by Dewi9; 28th September 2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Sort line spacing from none to double to single again. Flipping post system
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 28th September 2019
Keith-369 Keith-369 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North West England
Posts: 2,144
Thanks: 116
Thanked 237 Times in 214 Posts
Likes: 1,173
Liked 582 Times in 299 Posts
Re: Climate Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewi9 View Post
Getting back to the Climate Change question, what should we do (as a Country) to limit the effects on our way of life ?

The general feeling is that there has to be BIG changes - maybe a complete ban cars with internal combustion engines with haulage returning to railway, a complete ban on gas central heating (maybe we will not need heating when the weather picks up), a ban on commuting (work from home where possible) etc.

Should we have a National Discussion on the above with a Referendum afterwards, which becomes law and the HMGovernment has to implement the results ?

What about infrastructure ? How many would like to see HS2 scrapped, HS3 implemented (the Middle/Northern bit, electrified naturally) and money provided for a National Water Grid from North to South to distribute this essential resource ?

Should we plant millions more trees (a weekend job) ?

Lots to think about.

David

I prefer to say 'What should we do as a world'. Why just us? So many other countries are burning fields, trees, rubbish, etc. etc, all of which is damaging. So many countries are still running 2, 3, 4 litre engines ... for the fun of it. I could go on. Our (very by comparison) small country seems to be the one where we are trying to do the best and yet if we went totally green tomorrow, it would only be a drop in the ocean.
Not saying we shouldn't do our best but ...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (28th September 2019)
  #60  
Old 28th September 2019
Beagletorque's Avatar
Beagletorque Beagletorque is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Extreme South Midlands, England
Posts: 7,251
Thanks: 1,239
Thanked 874 Times in 791 Posts
Likes: 2,266
Liked 4,074 Times in 1,501 Posts
Re: Climate Change

My theory is the planet will 'heal' itself. The human induced warming effect will be enough to expand the liquid magma core and cause a massive volcanic eruption (probably the Yellowstone Supervolcano). The dust from this will block out the sun and get us back to the next ice age. Life can then start over from whatever is left. We may not live long enough to see it, but the photos will be spectacular.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Climate Change - Latest wornish The lounge 47 24th July 2019 09:52 PM
Will Brits Take Action To Fight Climate Change wornish The lounge 53 12th May 2019 07:03 PM
Climate Change - can you belive this? Zuiko The lounge 26 11th May 2019 06:02 PM
Can't change ISO CarolE Olympus OM-D E-M1 22 14th November 2015 12:26 AM
Is this a vsn 3.0 change? Phill D Olympus OM-D E-M1 12 7th April 2015 04:53 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:20 AM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger