Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts
Re: Calibrating monitor(s)

I just went to calibrate my printer with my ColorMunki Photo.

The device stubbornly refused to connect and be recognised. After some research on the Net I found that Argyll and DisplayCal that I had installed and used to calibrate my monitor prevents the Xrite software, including printer calibration being used.

I had to remove the Argyll driver and DisplayCal before the Xrite sotware detected the ColorMunki. It was a bit of a pain!

Different issue: For the life of me, I can't get a decent match between the calibrated display and printer output. I must be missing something as it's way out!

Jim
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 2,512 Times in 1,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

Different issue: For the life of me, I can't get a decent match between the calibrated display and printer output. I must be missing something as it's way out!

Jim
Jim, as I understand it, your monitor and printer both have their own colour profiles. The Colour Munki adjusts the monitor profile but doesn't normally affect the printer profile.

I cannot tell you how to resolve this but I would be interested to know what the answer is.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Jim, as I understand it, your monitor and printer both have their own colour profiles. The Colour Munki adjusts the monitor profile but doesn't normally affect the printer profile.
There're two distinct and separate operations with the ColorMunki Photo. One to calibrate the monitor by measuring colour patches displayed on the screen. The other for printers where 100 colour patches are printed, and you scan them with the device to produce the printer profile.

Jim
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

Jim
In what way don't they match? Are the prints a lot darker than your monitor or are the colours out? If the former it usually means that your monitor is too bright. The colour match won't be perfect as one is emitted light and the other is reflected light, but providing you use the correct profile for the printer and paper it shouldn't be a mile out. If you use a separate printer profile, have you got the printer's colour management turned OFF? What software are you printing from? Are you creating your own print profiles or using the manufacturer's generic one?

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawcoll View Post
In what way don't they match? Are the prints a lot darker than your monitor or are the colours out? If the former it usually means that your monitor is too bright. The colour match won't be perfect as one is emitted light and the other is reflected light, but providing you use the correct profile for the printer and paper it shouldn't be a mile out. If you use a separate printer profile, have you got the printer's colour management turned OFF? What software are you printing from? Are you creating your own print profiles or using the manufacturer's generic one?
The colours are 'off' (overall yellow cast). Brightness is O.K..

I use an Xrite ColorMunki Photo device to calibrate my monitor, which turns out fine. Then using the printer profile function to produce a profile for the 3rd party paper and inks that I use. I then select the generated profile for printing from within Photoshop. There are lots of pre-installed printer profiles to select from, none of them relevant to the sort of work I do. I think that I'll create a directory to move them to, and then start again with 'a clean sheet'.

Jim
Old 4 Days Ago

Printer profiling problem now sorted.

The profiling went OK and soft proofing also looked OK, but the printed output had a heavy yellow cast. I have a Canon iP7250 printer and for some reason the installed driver was for the iP7250 XPS printer:

"The XPS printer driver, when used in conjunction with printers such as those in Canon's line of PIXMA printers, can create 16-BPC prints, resulting in a more accurate print of your digital file."

I changed the driver to the non XPS version and the printer output is OK.

I'm not sure why it should make such a big difference - I would have though that the profiling process should correct any driver difference.

Jim