Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 30th March 2009
oldhat

Sigma 10-20 autofocus problem

Problems when using a Sigma 10-20 wide angle zoom lens on an Olympus E-510. The autofocus often fails to work; the red spot only appears if using one AF-frame, not Auto-AF.
The information display on the screen shows shutter speed but has a blank -.- where aperture setting should be shown.
There is no problem with three other lenses, Olympus and sigma, on the same body; and the lens is set to AF, and the contacts have been cleaned.
It's still under warranty, but any suggestions? anyone had a similar problem?
Gerald
Old 31st March 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Sigma 10-20 autofocus problem

combined your symptoms scream 'lack of electronic connection between lens and camera'.

1. keep fingers well clear of lens release button when mounting lens - twist to positive click.
2. keep fingers clear of lens release button when shooting
3. use a pencil eraser to clean the electronic connections on the lens mount.
Old 31st March 2009
oldhat

Thanks for the advice ... but none of that makes any difference.

I'm glad I bought it locally not on the net - I'll take it back to the shop tomorrow and ask for it to be sent back to Sigma under warranty ... unless anyone has another suggestion !
Gerald
Old 31st March 2009

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

I have have similar probs with kit 14-42 and 40 150 lenses in the past and I too think it was to do with connection trouble.I had to re-fit the lenses a few times and then it came back on,.Also on one occasion it had not clicked in all the way when fitting it.
On Sunday the focus WENT on my new Sigma 135-400 in the middle of a session and then it was the fit...god only knows how it became looser while using it....

Cheers
Keith