Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #136  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,590
Thanks: 425
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,271 Posts
Likes: 870
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Touch wood (busily scratches his head), no nastiness on the server for two days now and looking at the logs from the last week the server disruption trend has definitely been broken

We must be doing something right!

Our hosting company did a maintenance reset of their hosting facility early this morning though the site was only down for a few minutes at around 06:30. That wasn't an issue with our server, specifically.

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
blu-by-u blu-by-u is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Selangor, Malaysia
Posts: 1,912
Thanks: 225
Thanked 102 Times in 88 Posts
Likes: 342
Liked 689 Times in 364 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Question, How do I enter that avatar in there? I must be missing something.
__________________
* Henry
* Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor
* Malaysia


All my garbage so far.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,590
Thanks: 425
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,271 Posts
Likes: 870
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Question, How do I enter that avatar in there? I must be missing something.
Hi - in this forum or on FTU?

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
blu-by-u blu-by-u is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Selangor, Malaysia
Posts: 1,912
Thanks: 225
Thanked 102 Times in 88 Posts
Likes: 342
Liked 689 Times in 364 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi - in this forum or on FTU?

Ian
Found out how.
__________________
* Henry
* Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor
* Malaysia


All my garbage so far.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 4 Days Ago
Thai-Mike's Avatar
Thai-Mike Thai-Mike is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Thailand
Posts: 74
Thanks: 29
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 28 Times in 8 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Is not too much traffic on https://fourthirds-user.com/forum/


It is a pity cos its style is great
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (4 Days Ago)
  #141  
Old 4 Days Ago
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,590
Thanks: 425
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,271 Posts
Likes: 870
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai-Mike View Post
Is not too much traffic on https://fourthirds-user.com/forum/

It is a pity cos its style is great
A few more bits to sort out and then I will be promoting it once more.

That great style is much to do with your great input

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Thai-Mike (4 Days Ago)
  #142  
Old 3 Days Ago
mik mik is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: grimsby
Posts: 802
Thanks: 87
Thanked 46 Times in 41 Posts
Likes: 350
Liked 577 Times in 205 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Well ime still struggling to find a quick efficient way of navigating the new lay out with regards to new posts.
If i go on the home page i dont see any indication of posts i havent read,if i go on the forum page and choose new topics or latest activity i get lists of posts most of which i have seen and no way of telling which have new posts since my last visit.
I appreciate the work you have put in but i do visit a lot of forums and they make finding new posts since your last visit easy.
My fear is if its not easy people will not complain but will just go somewhere else and click a button like "new posts since my last visit"
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (3 Days Ago)
  #143  
Old 3 Days Ago
Phill D's Avatar
Phill D Phill D is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 9,839
Thanks: 1,182
Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,308 Posts
Likes: 1,037
Liked 2,347 Times in 1,117 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Well curiosity got the better of me and I had a look at FTU. Anyway I've now joined but for the life of me I can't work out how to post anything.! I'm sure there must be something I'm missing somewhere? think I need more coffee and some help!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jax (3 Days Ago)
  #144  
Old 3 Days Ago
Jax Jax is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 809
Thanks: 117
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Likes: 375
Liked 223 Times in 148 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Well curiosity got the better of me and I had a look at FTU. Anyway I've now joined but for the life of me I can't work out how to post anything.! I'm sure there must be something I'm missing somewhere? think I need more coffee and some help!
I don't think you're missing anything Phill, many others have the same opinion including myself. However we do need to master it For better or worse, that confusing version of Vbulletin is coming to the E-System User Group sometime in the near future.

Jax
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 3 Days Ago
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 13,350
Thanks: 902
Thanked 711 Times in 661 Posts
Likes: 6,697
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,692 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Well curiosity got the better of me and I had a look at FTU. Anyway I've now joined but for the life of me I can't work out how to post anything.! I'm sure there must be something I'm missing somewhere? think I need more coffee and some help!
Seems fairly straight forward to me. Perhaps the clue is going to the end of the thread, and post "Reply".

Otherwise, there is "New Topic" at the start of the thread. Posting a photo is the same here, assuming you use Flickr. I just copy the BB address and hey presto...

__________________
My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 3 Days Ago
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,590
Thanks: 425
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,271 Posts
Likes: 870
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Well ime still struggling to find a quick efficient way of navigating the new lay out with regards to new posts.
If i go on the home page i dont see any indication of posts i havent read,if i go on the forum page and choose new topics or latest activity i get lists of posts most of which i have seen and no way of telling which have new posts since my last visit.
I appreciate the work you have put in but i do visit a lot of forums and they make finding new posts since your last visit easy.
My fear is if its not easy people will not complain but will just go somewhere else and click a button like "new posts since my last visit"
It is a bit different to here but actually not THAT different and I will provide a guide for those used to the layout here.

There is still some emulation of the way things are laid out here to be done.

All this feedback is very welcome by the way!

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jax (3 Days Ago)
  #147  
Old 3 Days Ago
Jax Jax is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 809
Thanks: 117
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Likes: 375
Liked 223 Times in 148 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
It is a bit different to here but actually not THAT different and I will provide a guide for those used to the layout here.

There is still some emulation of the way things are laid out here to be done.

All this feedback is very welcome by the way!

Ian
My method when downloading any non specialised software intended for general public usage is to play around with it for a while without referring to any instructions or "help" files. If I find I can get into the basics without help then I consider it " user friendly" and a probable keeper.

In the case of the FTU updated version, I think it does fall into the user friendly category. It is somewhat different to this forum mainly due to the difference in design and layout and the fact I have become so accustomed to the way the E-System User Group operates. When this site is eventually updated, with a little bit of patience and perseverance I'm sure all will become clear.


Jax
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
griffljg (2 Days Ago)
  #148  
Old 2 Days Ago
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 2,999
Thanks: 93
Thanked 271 Times in 239 Posts
Likes: 1,034
Liked 869 Times in 555 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

I just had a look at FTU again; I like the clean modern design although one issue it took me a while to find when I first looked in is the tool bar above the header, where the "Log in", "Notifications" etc links are. On my screen with the default VB5 style these links are quite indistinct and it took me a while to find them. Usingthe Dark style they are much more prominent. It may be due to the light grey text rather than white (or black) which is quite close to the button background colour. Old eyes like contrast!

On this forum when I open it up in the morning I usually click on "Today's Posts" to get the latest activity. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent on FTU. There is a "Latest activity" button but it seems to list only new threads rather than new posts - perhaps that's because I haven't looked at the site for a while.

Overall though I like it - keep up the good work Ian .
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 2 Days Ago
mik mik is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: grimsby
Posts: 802
Thanks: 87
Thanked 46 Times in 41 Posts
Likes: 350
Liked 577 Times in 205 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I just had a look at FTU again; I like the clean modern design although one issue it took me a while to find when I first looked in is the tool bar above the header, where the "Log in", "Notifications" etc links are. On my screen with the default VB5 style these links are quite indistinct and it took me a while to find them. Usingthe Dark style they are much more prominent. It may be due to the light grey text rather than white (or black) which is quite close to the button background colour. Old eyes like contrast!

On this forum when I open it up in the morning I usually click on "Today's Posts" to get the latest activity. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent on FTU. There is a "Latest activity" button but it seems to list only new threads rather than new posts - perhaps that's because I haven't looked at the site for a while.

Overall though I like it - keep up the good work Ian .

After clicking latest activity if you look to the right for a drop down that called filter will give you a time scale
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mik For This Useful Post:
Otto (2 Days Ago)
  #150  
Old 2 Days Ago
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 2,999
Thanks: 93
Thanked 271 Times in 239 Posts
Likes: 1,034
Liked 869 Times in 555 Posts
Re: I'm working on this site's sibling...

I've just had another look and as if by magic there's now a "Today's Posts" button at the top of the forums page! I'm sure it wasn't there last time I looked. Anyway thanks Mik
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FL-50 working with the OM-d E-M1 Mk ii DerekW Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II 1 7th April 2018 09:29 PM
HELP! C-AF not working vincent Olympus E-5 8 15th June 2013 01:30 PM
Working together... Greytop Foto Fair 12 9th May 2012 06:08 PM
E-5 seems to be working ok jdal Foto Fair 6 6th June 2011 10:06 PM
Working man Makonde Foto Fair 19 28th November 2010 10:25 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:33 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger