Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 10th January 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts
When Army helicopters come out to play

A break in the dull weather (well, it lightened from dull to less dull!) and the option of either getting out or sitting in front of the computer again .... well the choice was easy.
So the next option was what to photograph, and fortunately the Army Air Corps (AAC) Apache Longbow are on deployment in Northumberland for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately the location is not an ideal spot for photography unless you have the Oly 70-300mm (or the Oly Pro 300mm!), a tripod, patience and a bit of luck. The sun if any is always against you, there are trees often just where the best shot would be and the closest you can get is a minimum of 200m. away. Anyway, that's the excuses done and dusted!

Regards
Chris
Old 10th January 2011

Liked 70 Times in 40 Posts
Re: When Army helicopters come out to play

I like this series of photogrphs. They illustrate the leathally elegant lines of the Apache and their being in black and white adds to the menace projected by it. Number one just pips number three for me.
Old 11th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What an awesome profile the Apache strikes in the sky, it deserves its name "Death from Above". A truly awesome peice of machinery, and the fact its half silhouette'd in this makes it even more eerie!
www.dgpix.org.uk
My Flickr
Old 11th January 2011
emirpprime

I second Willom's opinion - the first shot has a lot of charisma.

They are definitely impressive helicopters - and very potent since they finally got the longbow radar. Fairly widely known - but did you know you can ride on the outside?! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...-training.html
Old 11th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
I second Willom's opinion - the first shot has a lot of charisma.

They are definitely impressive helicopters - and very potent since they finally got the longbow radar. Fairly widely known - but did you know you can ride on the outside?! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...-training.html
And can you imagine the fabulous photos you could get while doing this - hang on, do you think I should ask??

Regards
Chris
Old 11th January 2011
emirpprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
hang on
Good choice of words!
Old 11th January 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Wow, that must be a white knuckle ride!

I love pic No 2, the helicopter looks positively menacing as it hovers above a grey and dreary landscape. Far more moody and effective than it would have ben on a sunny day. Apocalypse Now!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 12th January 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I was in the carpark of B&Q Denton when they flew past last week ... odd to see them over Newcastle,
I see them a lot from my bedroom window though.

Closest I've been was when some were parked up on Carlisle airfield near the road ... had no camera at the time.
Old 12th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
I was in the carpark of B&Q Denton when they flew past last week ... odd to see them over Newcastle,
I see them a lot from my bedroom window though.

Closest I've been was when some were parked up on Carlisle airfield near the road ... had no camera at the time.
The Dutch helicopters still use Carlisle about twice a year while the Apache use ex-Ouston for a couple of training deployments. Both then generally will do the training at Spadeadam or Otterburn ranges and so while up here can be seen transitting to & from these areas. There are times when walking on Hadrian's Wall you will see them standing off from their targets by several miles which is always one way of bringing home to you the awful/amazing power of these hunters! It can also be interesting/worrying when you see the front cannon tracking you as it passes low by, but the pilots know if you have a camera and will sometimes (if in a suitable location) 'pose' briefly for a snapshot!!
But I love them as a photographic subject, as it can be so difficult to get a good shot of them (well for me anyway). Carlisle traditionally has always been closest to the photographer's ideal for better chances but even there will get harder as Stobarts develop the airfield, as the helicopters have been moved from the area near the main road that was good for the lighting to the far side of the airfield.

Regards
Chris
Old 14th January 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

The critters kept Baby Richard from getting to sleep this afternoon!
I got a few snapshots, only realising later that ISO 1600 was selected ... so a fair bit of noise reduction was applied. E-600 & 40-150MkII lens at 150mm.

A crop, exactly half frame.

and look what Photomatix suggested ;
Old 14th January 2011

Well the last is very post-apocalyptic, you can almost 'sense the fear as the hunter came out of the dark foreboding clouds!'

Far better lighting today which shows up the Apache better than my last few visits. I was out yesterday photographing them with a touch of sun coming through the clouds, but I know someone out today who should be getting some very good shots of them . . .

Looks like you'll perhaps have some more chances to photo them overhead next week - the deployment is due to finish a week today. There's also possibly some night-time flying this weekend mainly heading west to the range.

Regards
Chris