Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 1st February 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts
Show us your first cameras

I thought it would be fun to post up our first cameras - would make for some interesting viewing and a walk down memory lane... So, here's my contribution.

I desperately wanted a "proper" camera from an early age and nagged my parents to buy me one. Eventually my parents agreed and I we went off to Boots in Liverpool. I remember drooling over something metal and German, but the sales guy suggested that at my age and level of experience, this would be a better choice:

Date: 1971. Cost: about 5 I think.

I was sort of disappointed, but I did have fun with that little camera. I eventually, through savings and more nagging to replace it with this:

Date: 1973. Cost: about 30.

We bought it used from a dedicated camera store in Huyton in Liverpool (Harold Wilson's constituency). I seem to recall it was about 30 along with its 50mm f1.8 lens. I bought a 135mm f2.8 Soligor lens to go with it.

Unfortunately, the shutter locked up on it within about a month or two so we took it back and upgraded to a lovely Pentax Spotmatic II, this time with the beautiful Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens:

Date: 1973. Cost: 92 (I remember this quite distinctly) - about 960 in today's money.

I loved that camera and kept it until I was finished in university and earning a living at which point I replaced it with a Pentax MX. That was unfortunately stolen from my luggage a year or so later and I then lost interest in photography until I got back into things in the 1990s with a Canon EOS 50. When digital got going properly, that got replaced with the EOS 350d, then the 40d, then the 5dii and then I moved to Olympus.

However, I still look back on that Pentax with fondness. It taught me most of what I know today!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (1st February 2019), MJ224 (1st February 2019), OM USer (1st February 2019), Zuiko (1st February 2019)
Old 1st February 2019

Liked 3,676 Times in 1,699 Posts
Re: Show us your first cameras

Interesting thread...……..

My very first camera was a Box Brownie, which I still have. I will add the photo later.

As you Paul, I nagged the old man for a better camera, and surprisingly he came up with this;

Not sure if it was the exact model, I don't think the writing was in Russian, but am fairly sure it was a Zenith E (long time ago)……….

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (1st February 2019)
Old 1st February 2019

Liked 347 Times in 109 Posts

Ah nostalgia! Got given a Kodak 127 box brownie- well remember the disappointment of getting maybe 3 out of 12 shots back from Boots. Progressed to the legendary MTL3 and then, logically I think, to various Pentax models including the ME Super.Stayed with Pentax after that for maybe 15-20 years until going digital with them and then falling for Olympus after picking one up at the Photography show two years ago. Gone were the aching shoulders and back which is why the EM1X will not be for me despite me signing up to see one tomorrow. Hope my will power is good.

Tim

drmarkf (1st February 2019), MJ224 (1st February 2019)
Old 1st February 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts

I loved the Pentax M series cameras. Beautiful engineering and really compact. It's a pity they're made such a hash of the digital era.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 1st February 2019

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

Alas, I don't have any of my old cameras - they were all sold to fund the next photographic foolishness.

However, for the record: First camera - a Zorki 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorki_4

followed by a Praktica L (as featured above) about 30 in 1970 - then a Praktica LTL.

Eventually I went Nikon with a Nikon EM (yes, I know) and then a FE2 (at last, a proper camera)

The Zorki was great. I had to use it with a Hanimex Sekonic light meter. Lovely..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Last edited by snaarman; 1st February 2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: the dog ate it
Old 1st February 2019

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

My first 'real' camera, no longer in my possession though

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 1st February 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

First was a box camera given to me by my next door neighbour; I was about 9 years old.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bo...MXMxjRw56wy3M:

A few years later a Halina came my way, something like this:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ha...roFSdZnsjKipM:

Then a Minolta SLR. Can't remember the model, but this one looks familiar:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mi...dluFwC2JdFjqM:

Had a break from photography when I discovered Girls

An MX came along sometime later, purchased new and the camera I still use today with an array of lenses. (28mm, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2 and 135mm f3.5)
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pe...Ff85T7jA7Ec4M:

Another break from photography whilst flying was my main interest.

Followed by an array of Digital junk... Apart from my M240

Leica M6 Classic
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=le...nXE775x9lITuM:

Latest addition is an Olympus FT with 40mm f1.4 and 90mm f2
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ol...D6rMXDJwI_6SM:

Oh and a fridge-full of film.

on flickr
Old 1st February 2019

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

Always fancied a Leica but never bought one for the obvious reasons.

So sometimes I mount the 12mm on the front of my Pen F, set it to electronic shutter and put a sticky red dot on the front - and make believe

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Ricoh (1st February 2019)
Old 1st February 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Always fancied a Leica but never bought one for the obvious reasons.

So sometimes I mount the 12mm on the front of my Pen F, set it to electronic shutter and put a sticky red dot on the front - and make believe

Pete
😂😂😂😂

So like the Monty Python sketch about two sheds, you'll soon be two PenFs Snaarman

on flickr
snaarman (1st February 2019)
Old 1st February 2019

Thanked 1,509 Times in 1,437 Posts
Liked 1,436 Times in 916 Posts

My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic - I think the 33 model.
It took the 126 cassette film, had a film wind on knob, and took the 4 bulb flash unit mounted on an "adapter" which was a cube with 2 button cell batteries (or possibly 3). I also had the case.

Kodak instamataic 33 (stock picture).

My parents had an older model with a lever wind, possibly a 50 or 104.

Then onto the Halina 35X. A uniquitous model because of its cheap price - even so mine was second hand. The whole back of the camera came off to change the film. The shutter had to be cocked before taking a picture. All manual so I had (still have) a selenium lightmeter.

Halina 35X (stock photo)

Next up, I think, was a Kodak Instamatic 110 with built in flash.

At some stage I got a Minolta Weathermatic 350L for underwater. Nice bright yellow with clip on underwater viewing guide.

Then of course it was the OM40, OM4Ti, E-M5 and the start of a lens collection and all manner of OM system bits.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
drmarkf (1st February 2019), snaarman (1st February 2019)
Old 1st February 2019

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

After some nasty black plastic thingy (the name of which escapes me) the first proper camera I used was a Voigtlander Vito variety from the 1950s, previously used by my mother, which looked like this:

I can't remember the exact version, but I remember it had a wonderful dark brown leather case and strap.
Then my Dad got interested in cine (I've still got his Super-8 Bolex) and I also used his Voigtlander Bessa II quite a lot around the mid-late 1960s:

I wish I'd kept that. At one stage he'd owned a Leica III with a 35mm f2 Summicron: where that went I don't know, but I do have his old 135mm f4 Elmar.

I then lost interest for a while, but my mother bought me a second-hand Olympus OM-1 with 50mm f1.4 Zuiko from University Cameras in Cambridge for my 21st Birthday, and it's been one long, slippery slope since then.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Zuiko (1st February 2019)
Old 1st February 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Given to me by my Dad when I was about 17. Used it in conjunction with a Weston Master, an excellent combination with which to learn the basics of photography.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st February 2019

Liked 234 Times in 147 Posts

My first was the extraordinary Zeiss Werra 1. My father was a keen photographer from pre-war years and always extolled the virtues of the Zeiss Tessar lens. At the time, this camera was cheaper than a Tessar lens alone!

It appealed to a young teenager for the Zeiss name and a shutter speeded to 1/750s. Unfortunately, the rather complex Prestor shutter was its undoing. The shutter blades were double-ended and the high speed was achieved by rotating them from the initial closed position to a secondary closed position. A capping shutter was then set to cover the film, while the main shutter was rewound to the original position by turning the collar around the lens - which was also the film wind.

On mine, the capping shutter failed to close properly and fogged the film. I had it repaired once but then it failed again. I decided to open it up myself and found it was simply a screw that worked loose but I had lost confidence in the camera and had become more ambitious, so I bought a Pentax SP1000, which satisfied my growing interest in natural history photography.

My Werra still works but the viewfinder is unusable due to fungus growth.
Zuiko (1st February 2019)
Old 1st February 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
After some nasty black plastic thingy (the name of which escapes me) the first proper camera I used was a Voigtlander Vito variety from the 1950s, previously used by my mother, which looked like this:

I can't remember the exact version, but I remember it had a wonderful dark brown leather case and strap.
Then my Dad got interested in cine (I've still got his Super-8 Bolex) and I also used his Voigtlander Bessa II quite a lot around the mid-late 1960s:

I wish I'd kept that. At one stage he'd owned a Leica III with a 35mm f2 Summicron: where that went I don't know, but I do have his old 135mm f4 Elmar.

I then lost interest for a while, but my mother bought me a second-hand Olympus OM-1 with 50mm f1.4 Zuiko from University Cameras in Cambridge for my 21st Birthday, and it's been one long, slippery slope since then.
I'm sitting here right now with a not too dissimilar Vitomatic II on my desk. I love the way it is engineered.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
drmarkf (2nd February 2019)
Old 2nd February 2019

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Fun idea Paul. My Dad and Gramp were keen photographers (Gramp built his own lovely darkroom), so I started young with one of these.

Then moved onto an Instamatic with flash cube.

Kodak Instamatic 104 by HaarFager (Pro), on Flickr

Then a Canon Sureshot, which I still have, great quality in comparison!

Canon Sure Shot 35mm Film Camera by Chi Bellami, on Flickr

Then Dad enjoyed the excuse the blast us up to Newcastle from the south coast in his Beemer for this classic with the f1.4 lens.

Then Dad and I had quite a bit of X-700 kit, fabulous body that I still use occasionally

Minolta X-700 by Miguel Ledezma, on Flickr

a recent shot with lovely f2.8 28mm MD.

Isis Lock, Oxford Canal by Bruce Clarke, on Flickr

My entry into digital was via work, where I got the Sony F505V, lovely Zeiss lens in all its 2.5MP glory. Then the Sony F828, a versatile twisty beast, again with a great Zeiss lens. Then my first personal digital, Oly E-500, and many of their bodies since!

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
Gate Keeper (12th February 2019), MJ224 (2nd February 2019), Zuiko (2nd February 2019)