Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 25th August 2018

Liked 686 Times in 296 Posts
Re: The Windows10 Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Believe it or not there are six Windows 10 laptops in the household (I'm moving from an ageing Dell (Originally Windows 7) to a smaller, lighter and much more powerful Acer, plus we have a convertible tablet/ultrabook with removable keyboard) - all of them work flawlessly from sleep unless left too long allowing the battery to run down of course.

Ian
If you're moving between devices, I find the new timeline feature (delivered in April's update) very useful. I stop working on the big laptop, in the evening, and it's just there for me, on the Tram (using my old Surface 3) the following morning. I've had a somewhat mad couple of working weeks, and that sort of thing helps a lot.
Old 25th August 2018

Liked 2,313 Times in 1,524 Posts

My Toshiba laptop runs W81. Pro and in nearly three years has been faultless. We also run several HP 8300 Elite machines (i5 and i7) on W7 and W8.1 and they also run perfectly. However, they are all 'corporate' type machines with Windows certified drivers, so it does seem that with correct driver support Windows can be perfectly stable.

It also occurs to me that my Android phone is remarkably stable. Google recommends that Android devices are rebooted every ten days to maintain stability, but I usually forget so it often stays up for months at a time until I forget to charge it. I am not entirely happy about using a Google OS, but I wonder how stable Chromebooks are?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th August 2018

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
Apologies.. I should read more carefully

yes in this case they should be more in control

Regards
Andy
I think basically that Microsoft have screwed up the power management in their own laptops. As I said in my rant/post, I had a Dell (Latitude) before the Surface Book and that was actually pretty stable.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 26th August 2018

Thanked 1,120 Times in 702 Posts
Liked 1,463 Times in 731 Posts

Back-tracking to Otto's SKYPE issue. It seems there has beenso much negative feed-back the MS have issued another update?

Not sure what version Otto reverted back to as MS has issued a warning that 'older' versions will cease to work. Whils searching for a remedy - I too had serious issues -I found this ealier, which 'apparently' gives users the 'classic version' which will work until...???

If needs must, the links points to v 8.28.0.41 You can check it out here https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 26th August 2018

Liked 3,650 Times in 1,689 Posts

Gave up on Skype yonks ago. It used to work well, but then a series of fiddling changes ruined it for me.

Use WhatsApp now. Also Facetime on the iPhone works well if chatting to another iPhone...

My Flickr
Old 26th August 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,271 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Gave up on Skype yonks ago. It used to work well, but then a series of fiddling changes ruined it for me.

Use WhatsApp now. Also Facetime on the iPhone works well if chatting to another iPhone...
WhatsApp for me, too. Skype is still used occasionally. Julia uses it to chat to her English/French language conversational buddy in Paris every week. I also occasionally use Facebook Messenger's video-call function.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 26th August 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,271 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I think basically that Microsoft have screwed up the power management in their own laptops. As I said in my rant/post, I had a Dell (Latitude) before the Surface Book and that was actually pretty stable.
Microsoft don't make their own hardware, it's all out-sourced. Nevertheless, they ought to have the best QA

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 26th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Back-tracking to Otto's SKYPE issue. It seems there has beenso much negative feed-back the MS have issued another update?

Not sure what version Otto reverted back to as MS has issued a warning that 'older' versions will cease to work. Whils searching for a remedy - I too had serious issues -I found this ealier, which 'apparently' gives users the 'classic version' which will work until...???

If needs must, the links points to v 8.28.0.41 You can check it out here https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/
We tend to use the Facebook Video Chat thingummy which works well enough and is universal across all types of devices.

FaceTime works very well between Apple devices but isn't available for any other platform and so is far too restrictive in my view. (Likewise Apple doesn't allow iTunes to work on Android, even though you pay Apple for music downloads.) This is my main objection to using Apple hardware, good as their hardware is in its own right.

The late Steve Jobs was known to be a total control freak who simply didn't accept that not everybody wants to use Apple. His legacy clearly lives on.

I read an interesting article recently that Jobs had vowed to destroy DropBox because he wanted it as an Apple only cloud storage system, but the then owners of DropBox had their sights set on a wider stage and refused his offer.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 26th August 2018

Liked 686 Times in 296 Posts

And that is why I use Apple products but avoid their cloud. Both Microsoft and Google are pretty universal (as are Adobe, to a lesser degree), and I use both.
Old 26th August 2018

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Microsoft don't make their own hardware, it's all out-sourced. Nevertheless, they ought to have the best QA

Ian
I'm sure that's true of Apple as well. I'd hope that they were in charge of the design though.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 26th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I'm sure that's true of Apple as well. I'd hope that they were in charge of the design though.
Much of the problem with IT seems to the rush to market. The equipment may be designed in the USA, but the production of virtually all IT equipment and components is outsourced to contract suppliers in the Far East who manufacture huge batches, put them in shipping containers and then move on. I am sure cameras are similar today.

I cannot believe that many new IT products are exhaustively tested prior to launch, and by the time faults have been identified the product is obsolete, or production has already ceased, so there is little interest in rectifying anything.

Modern manufacturing philosophies and the constant evolution of software also means that lessons are rarely passed on from one product line to the next.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 27th August 2018

Liked 536 Times in 374 Posts

When I was involved (loosely) in the PC game, actually I was in the apps business and then the OS, my employer who was designing, building and selling the hardware as well as designing and writing the OS would run compatability tests of the OS and the hardware. passiing the coompatiblity test for our own hardware was mandatory before release. As a marketing drive to increase the sellabiility of the OS across other makes of hardware, the company would receive samples of compettitors hardware to see if the OS would run on them. If the OS would run they would get a statement of compatibility.

For machines that failed a DOS/Windows test would be carried out. It was surprising how many of these machines would fail a DOS compatible test.

The PC market was observed to be a multi tier business,

Tier 1 was the machines built by the big names, eg IBM, HP, Compaq etc that sold into the corporate market. Often these machines had custom designed cases and sometimes custom designed and shaped main boards.

Tier 2 were machines that used reputable components in standard cases using standard Main boards using components of a tested quality.

Tier 3 - were the assemblers would be assemblying bin end components into standard cases often using main boards of lesser standard. By bin end I mean buying what was available and cheap (and perhaps out of production)

I assembled a couple of machines for myself using reputable main boards and tested components taking advice from my colleagues. The first assembly worked without issue with OS/2.
After a few years I wanted a more powerful machine, so using the same make of main board I built a "faster " machine. It did not work, I swapped the main board for a different one from the same manufacturer and the machine did work.

The supplier claimed that the first board was a good one as it passed their test using the Windows du Jour which was not so performance critical. So I had to pay the restocking fee as the board was not faulty.

The next time I wanted to upgrade the machine for more power, better graphics etc etc I went Mac - still on Macs 14 years later.

Apple do not support the running of their software on other makees / design of machine. They control all stages of the process, the manufacturing is outsourced and the sw and the hardware are designed and tested to be compatible. Periodically older machines drop out of OS support as would be expected.

I do not mess with computers to try out new hardware or peripherals, I use them to run software for my benefit. If I wanted to try out the latest and greatest new video cards and PCI cards I would be playing with Windows or a more native form of Unix (Linux).
Naughty Nigel (28th August 2018)
Old 29th August 2018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am also now in windows 10, I have o choice I get used of it but as I observe my laptop keep on crashing.
Old 29th August 2018

Liked 62 Times in 33 Posts

I have been using windows 10 since upgrading for free years ago and I have found it to be the most reliable MS OS to date, I sometimes wonder what all the fuss is about :-)

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (29th August 2018)
Old 29th August 2018

Liked 869 Times in 555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Just seen this as I've been away. I've got v7.41 at the moment and MS has threatened to stop older versions working. There is also a "Skype for Windows 10" which I've avoided. MS does seem to be listening as a lot of the stupid wiggly lines and things have been removed from the iOS app version, which is slowly becoming useable again. To be honest, I use Facebook Messenger more often now and if Skype 7 stops working I will probably change to another platform - most of my Skype contacts already have anyway!