Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 10th March 2017

Liked 194 Times in 132 Posts
(Dumb question?) HDR in OV3

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I'm new to OV3. (In fact - now I've edited - there are two questions)

When I display a photo and click on {I} (properties) it shows lots of useful information about the photo and when and how it was taken etc. But I can't see anywhere which explicitly states whether HDR mode was on, and if so which HDR mode. I use HDR mode 2 a lot for architectural photos, to bring out detail in shadows without turning the sky into a white-out. (Maybe this isn't good practice and it would be better to do this in post ...)

As I have my camera set up at the moment, I store only RAW (so that if and when I get into post-processing I'll have the RAW files), and then I convert to JPG with occasional slight changes (crops etc) in OV3. So when I'm in OV3 I can tell which ones are HDR because they're the only shots which also download a JPG. But it would be nice to see HDR explicitly in the properties somewhere.

Despite what I thought I'd read in the manual, it seems to create a RAW (ORF) file as well as a JPEG. If I want to edit, what are the pros and cons of choosing the RAW or thee JPG? Is the RAW some kind of combined version of the several shots which were taken during HDR? It looks like it has less dynamic range than the JPG.
Old 10th March 2017

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,046 Posts
Liked 2,198 Times in 1,167 Posts
Re: (Dumb question?) HDR in OV3

The raw file I think is only one of the frames while the JPEG is the combined HDR result & the only way you'll see the HDR result from the camera. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
RobEW (10th March 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (10th March 2017)
Old 10th March 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts
Re: (Dumb question?) HDR in OV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I'm new to OV3. (In fact - now I've edited - there are two questions)

When I display a photo and click on {I} (properties) it shows lots of useful information about the photo and when and how it was taken etc. But I can't see anywhere which explicitly states whether HDR mode was on, and if so which HDR mode. I use HDR mode 2 a lot for architectural photos, to bring out detail in shadows without turning the sky into a white-out. (Maybe this isn't good practice and it would be better to do this in post ...)

As I have my camera set up at the moment, I store only RAW (so that if and when I get into post-processing I'll have the RAW files), and then I convert to JPG with occasional slight changes (crops etc) in OV3. So when I'm in OV3 I can tell which ones are HDR because they're the only shots which also download a JPG. But it would be nice to see HDR explicitly in the properties somewhere.

Despite what I thought I'd read in the manual, it seems to create a RAW (ORF) file as well as a JPEG. If I want to edit, what are the pros and cons of choosing the RAW or thee JPG? Is the RAW some kind of combined version of the several shots which were taken during HDR? It looks like it has less dynamic range than the JPG.
The HDR 1/2 modes only work "in camera" and I think are intended for people who want "Instant HDR" without wanting to think too much about what they are trying to achieve and produce two alternative "one size fits all" JPEG results. HDR for many is a bit of a "Marmite" acquired taste as some pretty extreme results can be achieved using much more complex software than the camera firmware. The HDR Bracketing functions in the camera are provided for those who want "real" HDR images.

You are correct that HDR is not the way to deal with shadow/highlight problems. OV3 has a shadow/highlight adjustment facility although it (like many OV3 functions is not very comprehensive). Try a free raw developer like FastStone which will give much better results.

Ross is quite correct that only one of the four HDR raw files is recorded in HDR 1/2 modes.
The camera manuals, E-M1 page 61 and E-M5 MKII page 53, contain some caution notes which include;

"When the image quality mode is set to [RAW], the image is recorded in RAW+JPEG.
The only image recorded in RAW is the image with suitable exposure"

It doesn't explain what "suitable exposure" means (but I presume it is the exposure the camera would produce in normal operation) and it doesn't say what the difference in exposure value is for the other three frames.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
OM USer (11th March 2017), RobEW (11th March 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (10th March 2017)