Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 31st May 2010

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
E620 low light autofocus assist lamp?

Hi.
I was playing with my E620 last night as it was going dark. I don't care much for the camera's flash flickering away to help focus so I attached my FL36. The red auto-focus assist lamp works well but I didn't want flash in my shot so I was having to turn the head around away from the subject. This is all very well but there is a risk of flash bounce so not ideal. I then tried my LED headlamp which has white and red light settings. This worked fine and focus was achieved quickly but I wouldn't want to walk around wearing it most of the time. It made me realize though that the pattern thrown by the FL36 is not vital to achieve focus, any light source will do to get the sensors working.
Anyway I woke up this morning and decided that what I needed was a dedicated hot shoe mounted auto-focus assist lamp. Strange how my mind works. I went straight to Ebay believing that the inventive Japanese or Chinese at least would have dozens of these useful items in various flavours for next to nothing on sale. Unfortunately I was wrong, I honestly don't think such a device exists that can be found by Google or Bing.
Unless someone knows better?
Cheers.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 31st May 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: E620 low light autofocus assist lamp?

Is this what you want?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=35425623
Old 31st May 2010

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Hi Gareth.
That looks like the beastie I was hoping to buy. Obviously that's a prototype so I'll do some digging to see if the guy actually marketed it.
Thanks very much indeed for appreciating what I was on about. I was beginning to think I was barking mad for enquiring about such a thing judging from the replies on another forum. Would you glue a torch to the top of your camera!? Me neither! But there are some who live among us that would
Cheers.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 1st June 2010

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullus View Post
Hi.
I was playing with my E620 last night as it was going dark. I don't care much for the camera's flash flickering away to help focus so I attached my FL36. The red auto-focus assist lamp works well but I didn't want flash in my shot so I was having to turn the head around away from the subject. This is all very well but there is a risk of flash bounce so not ideal.

Unless someone knows better?
Cheers.
just leave the fl36 in the hotshoe and turn the flash to 'don't fire' on the camera menu..........

fully dedicated red AF assist light......job done