Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P3

Olympus Pen E-P3 The third-generation Micro Four Thirds flagship Pen model from Olympus, complete with capacitive touch screen!

Old 8th June 2013
Stock Shooter

Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Re: Impulse buy

Ulfric,

Yes the effective part of the screen is a little smaller, and the colours seem less realistic than the old screens, maybe something can be done to adjust it, but mine has a distinctly greenish hue.

Several test reports mention the unrealistic colours of the OLED screen, so I think for reviewing it is not as good as the old type.

For me the main advantage of the E-P3 is that it the image processing is much better, as good as on the E5. The fast focus can be useful, depending on whether you shoot many moving things.

The delay with a blank screen after each shot is a problem for me, I may send it to Olympus for a service and see if that improves things.

Touch screen focus/shooting is there on the E-P3 but the only use I can see for it is macro work on a tripod.

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
The Following User Says Thank You to Pjphoto59 For This Useful Post:
Ulfric M Douglas (9th June 2013)
Old 28th June 2013

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Impulse buy

I had the EP1 and replaced with the EP3, I found the Ep3 to be so much better in every way I gave my EP1 to a mate and I don't miss it. I also use the VF2 so the screen is not an issue. That said, it does display a capture immediately after pressing the shutter without any lag and pressing the shutter button to focus returns the VF2 to live view. I have never witnessed the black screen issue.

I bought mine body only from park cameras for 349.00 and in white. I was not sure about white at the time. I have since surprised myself, I love it, the finish is really nice!
Old 28th June 2013
Stock Shooter

I am getting used to the E-P3 now, and testing it side by side with the E-P2 shows that the 'blackout' is a little longer than the E-P2 but not much.

Strangely during the 'blackout' the E-P3 screen goes grey rather than black.

I too use the VF-2 a lot. So far never used the touch screen.

The ability to disable the rear adjustment wheel on the E-P3 is a real boon as accidentally touching that is a cause of unwanted changes on the other PENs (Accidentally changing ISO from Auto to 6400 is common on the E-P2).

Old 28th June 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,455 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
I took the new E-P3 out for a trial run today.

It seems slightly chunkier and heavier than the E-P2. Focus is very fast.

The IQ is very good indeed.

One rather disconcerting thing is that after making an exposure, the screen "black out" is a lot longer than it is on the E-P1/2.

It seems as if there is a delay in the shutter re-opening after the exposure. No adverse effect on image.

I tried changing from a 20 MB/sec SD card (class 6) to 45MB/sec (class 10) but no obvious difference. Is this normal E-P3 behaviour?
I don't recall the black out being a feature of my E-P3. Are you sure the delay is after the exposure and not before? I ask this because I'm aware of a practice of setting the camera to 1/8th sec Anti Shock to prevent the "problem" of shutter shock and the previous owner may have been one of those unduly worried about this "issue."

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th June 2013
Stock Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I don't recall the black out being a feature of my E-P3. Are you sure the delay is after the exposure and not before? I ask this because I'm aware of a practice of setting the camera to 1/8th sec Anti Shock to prevent the "problem" of shutter shock and the previous owner may have been one of those unduly worried about this "issue."
John,

The delay is certainly after the exposure. Focus and shoot is very fast then there is a small but noticeable delay, before the shutter re-opens. Anti shock is off.

I eventually did a little test with the E-P3 and E-P2 side by side and with the same settings (S at 1/125 and MF). The E-P3 has a slightly longer delay than the E-P2.

I was initially concerned about it, in case the cheap "impulse buy" camera was defective. In fact the results from the camera are excellent so I am just carrying on using it and getting used to the way it works. If I foresee any need to do things fast, the E5 is the camera to use.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pjphoto59 For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (28th June 2013)
Old 11th September 2013
Stock Shooter

Here we are two months later, and I finally found out why there is a longer screen black out on exposing the E-P3 compared to the E-P2. Whilst digging in the menus I found that I had Noise Reduction switched to On rather than Auto.

As it says in the manual, when this is activated it takes about twice the usual time to take a picture.

Old 11th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,455 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
Here we are two months later, and I finally found out why there is a longer screen black out on exposing the E-P3 compared to the E-P2. Whilst digging in the menus I found that I had Noise Reduction switched to On rather than Auto.

As it says in the manual, when this is activated it takes about twice the usual time to take a picture.
Such a simple solution! Glad you found it and it will be useful to remember in case anyone else reports a similar problem.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 11th September 2013

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Thanks for the update Peter. It could happen to any of us whatever the camera. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.
Old 11th September 2013
Stock Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Such a simple solution! Glad you found it and it will be useful to remember in case anyone else reports a similar problem.
John,

Yes I posted this in case someone else has the same problem.
I should have thought of it earlier. In the run up to the 2005 General Election, I was in a scrum of photographers trying to take pics of an electioneering Michael Howard. I had set my E1 to NR on - I could not understand why I had the slowest camera in the village.

No fool like and old fool they say....