Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 325 Times in 134 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Kingfishers and lizards

Encouraged by my visit to Lackford Lakes last week I went again on Monday. My attention was drawn to a group on the platform overlooking a reed bed. One of them had a 300/4 and EM1ii – the first time I have encountered a fellow Oly photographer for ages. All photos are OOC JPG resized for uploading and all taken with the EM1ii, 300/4 and MC20.

There was a pile of logs at the edge of the reedbed where this little drama was about to unfold.

Eventually the lizard decided he wouldn’t be likely to get the fly so pushed off. The fly’s place was taken by this splendid dragonfly. Maybe someone can tell me what it is please.

My route to the first hide took me past this wasp.

And another dragonfly – again ID would be appreciated.

There were plenty of butterflies, mainly Painted Ladies and Red Admirals.

This blackbird was hunting under a buddleia and was reluctant to come into the open.

I walked out to Bess’s hide which is one of the easterly ones. There wasn’t much around, but I had an interesting chat with a Canon user who had a 500/4 – it’s huge, expensive (£3k second-hand) and not a lot more capable than the infinitely lighter 300/4+MC20. Our stay was prolonged by a shower of tropical proportions. Even the cormorants needed to dry out afterwards.

I returned to the Kingfisher trail where I shared a hide with two others. We sat around for ages waiting for something to happen. To stave off the boredom we were all photographing this juvenile moorhen. Would we have done that with 35mm?

After nearly two hours a Kingfisher put in a brief appearance.

By this time the shadows were lengthening, and it was time to go home. On the way out I snapped Peter.

It’s a long time since I last had a 2x teleconverter and I wasn’t impressed by its performance. It was the stunning photos posted by forum members which persuaded me to get the MC20. I have not been disappointed, and it’s opened up a new field of bird photography. I now have a dilemma. Do I take the 300 to the Kruger next year? In the past I’ve not bothered as the 100-400 is much more versatile, but it doesn’t have the reach of this new combination.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (4 Weeks Ago), Barr1e (4 Weeks Ago), Beagletorque (4 Weeks Ago), IainMacD (4 Weeks Ago), Keith-369 (4 Weeks Ago), Olybirder (4 Weeks Ago), OM USer (4 Weeks Ago), pault (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 516 Times in 266 Posts
Re: Kingfishers and lizards

Nice pictures and documentary. I enjoyed looking and reading.

I suspect that the first dragonfly is a 'Broad-bodied Chaser' and the second is, I think, a 'Common Darter' ..... I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself will either confirm or correct.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,397 Times in 360 Posts

Nice. The first dragonfly is a Black-tailed skimmer, Orthetrum cancellatum

Not bringing the 300 F/4 to Kruger? Are you serious?

My Gallery on 500px
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 325 Times in 134 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Thank you all for the ID and comments.

I suspect I shall be taking the 300 to the Kruger! I've not bothered in the past as the 300+MC14 is hardly longer than the 100-400 and for many of the larger birds the zoom is perfectly adequate. With the MC20 there's a significant difference and photographing the smaller birds will be much more satisfactory.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii