Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 28th June 2019

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
**OT** Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
A whole 1.44MB - what a ridiculous waste. Long ago I wrote an entire operating system used by thousands of users, in just 2K (called NAS-SYS). And it had no bugs.
I think you and I could trump most here My first real computer (excluding programmable HP calcs) was a Nascom-1 with 1Kb (yes, K) and a machine code monitor. Designing an interface with a pal for 8Kb S-100 cards (yes, K) and porting Tiny Basic to the Nascom gave me a taste for computers and it became a bit of a thing. VIC's, PET's and Sinclairs came along later once the market gained credibility.

On topic, I loathe and detest bloatware so will automatically turn to the camera updater until it no longer functions. I don't really want to install something which does 49 things I don't need or want for the one thing I do. I can't see how that makes for an easier life.

Loves photography but so little time
Old 28th June 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Quote:
A whole 1.44MB - what a ridiculous waste. Long ago I wrote an entire operating system used by thousands of users, in just 2K (called NAS-SYS). And it had no bugs.
Wow - you're the author of NAS-SYS! I am not worthy!!

My first "real" computer was a Nascom 2 (I upgraded from an Acorn System 1, which had only a hex keypad and 8 character, 7 segment display). I built the Nascom from a kit and had years of fun (and learning) writing programs for it. Fantastic piece of kit in an era which forged a generation of computer-literate people who went on to create a significant economic base in this country.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
raichea (28th June 2019)
Old 28th June 2019

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,133 Times in 1,140 Posts

Continuing off topic, my only claim to writing anything was a small routine on a Phillips accounting machine (P450) programmed with punch card. I then serviced the old things.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 28th June 2019

Liked 116 Times in 79 Posts

I also had the Acorn system 1... and my younger brother then bought a single board computer with a keyboard soldered onto the 'motherboard' running Basic. We both preferred assembly code and spent many hours reverse engineering the interpreter. Happy days!
Old 29th June 2019

Quote:
........ Long ago I wrote an entire operating system used by thousands of users, in just 2K (called NAS-SYS). And it had no bugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Some time back (years) I said some unkind things to/about Growltiger (on another forum), & I think it's about time I apologised since I didn't have the guts to reply to him personally.
I'm sorry Growltiger.

What I would like to know Growltiger, what is the association you have with Cats the musical & the character GrowlTiger? I thought (back then), "What a strange name to use on a forum" until looked it up. I've only seen Cats on video, not live.

Getting back on topic, I took a screen shot of my Windows 7 Control Panel list of programs where it shows the original level I installed it at, even though I have updated the programs.

Olympus-CP.JPG

If I run the Camera Updater directly it shows as 2.1.3 as listed above & if I run it through Oly Workspace it shows 2.2 (as has been discussed many times already), but all the other programs are at their latest even though the list in the above screenshot does not show it. Any explanations?
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 29th June 2019

Liked 720 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Continuing off topic, my only claim to writing anything was a small routine on a Phillips accounting machine (P450) programmed with punch card. I then serviced the old things.
I used to maintain machines using the Hollerith (?) 80 column cards, a factory job card system I guess you’d call it, Singer System 10. We had a whole room full of young women furiously punching ‘data’ into these cards using a strange calculator-like keyboard that punched out little rectangular holes to be read by a row of onto sensors in the motorized card readers.
Old 29th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
I used to maintain machines using the Hollerith (?) 80 column cards, a factory job card system I guess you’d call it, Singer System 10. We had a whole room full of young women furiously punching ‘data’ into these cards using a strange calculator-like keyboard that punched out little rectangular holes to be read by a row of onto sensors in the motorised card readers.
That reminds me of 'men' typing away in the punch tape room of a Sydney news paper where the punch tape was used in attached readers on Lynotype machines (hot metal type setting). I was a Lynotype mechanic then.
Old 29th June 2019

Quote:
That reminds me of 'men' typing away in the punch tape room of a Sydney news paper where the punch tape was used in attached readers on Lynotype machines (hot metal type setting). I was a Lynotype mechanic then.
Thinking about it, we used punched tape too but I have no recollection of how the actual tapes were made or who made them! It was used on a lot of different kit back then too, ATE for aircraft wiring, CNC machine programs, factory automation, you name it, punched tape was used.
Old 29th June 2019

Liked 128 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
My first computer was the PET (fart in French) Commodore. Wrote many Basic programmes and few simple machine code ones. For Land Survey...

Came with 16Mb of memory, which I upgraded to 32Mb later. programmes initially stored on tape, but I splashed out on twin floppies (£2000 in 1983 ish) But the investment paid me back pretty quickly working on quantity surveying in Texaco refinery Milford Haven..…...

Were you running an early version of Masterbill on it? I remember it being being so slow in sortation that data was input during the working day and processing for abstracts and BQs started shortly before the end of day, sometimes calling back a couple of times over a weekend.
Old 29th June 2019

Liked 1,563 Times in 768 Posts

I remember learning to program an English Electric KDF9 mainframe in Algol back in 1969 as part of a sandwhich course I did with ICL in Kidsgrove, Staffordshire. I ended up working for ICL designing the magnetic tape storage devices for a few years. I also did a bit of Basic programming on an ancient DEUCE computer they still had at North Staffs Poly which used valves and was pre transistors.

http://www.ourcomputerheritage.org/KDF9_Flier.pdf

My Flickr
Old 29th June 2019
Senior

Liked 159 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Way back in the early 60's, I trained on Linotype and Monotype machines, and remembered that, if you didn't get the spacing correct on the Linotype, there would be a splash of hot metal on the back of your hand!

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight••• Lumix: G9 | LX100 ••• Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 ••• Leica: 100-400 | 12-60••• Samyang: 7.5 fisheye ••• Tamron: 14-150 •
Old 29th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Way back in the early 60's, I trained on Linotype and Monotype machines, and remembered that, if you didn't get the spacing correct on the Linotype, there would be a splash of hot metal on the back of your hand!
This thread has gone way off topic, but ...... That happened to me!

As an apprentice we had to work when the tradesmen went on strike (& with all the overtime we earnt) & so the Lynotype mechanics (management staff & apprentices) operated the punch tape run Elektron Lynotypes while editorial office staff type punched the tapes. However, Lynotypes have a habit of dropping matricies occasionally & under the hot metal pot. I reached under to pick them up while it was operating & it just had to back splash right at that time as I was & ended up with hot lead splattered on my hand.
I didn't get to stay for overtime that night & was sent home in a taxi, in pain. The company doctor did take care of me first though.
All the strikes achieved at the time was for the newspaper to try out new technology. I got out within a few months of becoming a tradesmen & moved through related fields, electronics, computers & photocopiers (glad to get out of that though) & finally onto what I'm doing now.
Shaw (29th June 2019)
Old 29th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Yes you are correct...……………(mega, gigas and kilos all get a little mixed up these days)…………….
I’m glad I read back through the thread before jumping in and questioning the likelihood that Pet had 16MB, let alone upgrading it to 32!
Unlike me not to blunder on in!
MJ224 (30th June 2019)
Old 30th June 2019

Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post

My first "real" computer was a Nascom 2 (I upgraded from an Acorn System 1, which had only a hex keypad and 8 character, 7 segment display). I built the Nascom from a kit and had years of fun (and learning) writing programs for it. Fantastic piece of kit in an era which forged a generation of computer-literate people who went on to create a significant economic base in this country.
Thanks! It was a useful hobby which got me free hardware. It helped my career, as so few people who manage IT really understand the innards. The same applied later with when the internet came along.
Old 30th June 2019

Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Some time back (years) I said some unkind things to/about Growltiger (on another forum), & I think it's about time I apologised since I didn't have the guts to reply to him personally.
I'm sorry Growltiger.

What I would like to know Growltiger, what is the association you have with Cats the musical & the character GrowlTiger? I thought (back then), "What a strange name to use on a forum" until looked it up. I've only seen Cats on video, not live.
Growltiger forgives you! I'm guessing that I was annoying and deserved it.

No connection with the musical, although I did see it in London when it came out.

The connection is with the origin of the musical, this wonderful book by T.S. Eliot:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Po...Practical_Cats

I am sorry to say that the original Growltiger was racist, so I should tell you that I have two cats, one Oriental and the other Siamese, who I love greatly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Growltiger For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (30th June 2019)
Ross the fiddler (30th June 2019)