Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 8th February 2019

Liked 1,393 Times in 359 Posts
Adobe LR - no more updates - options?

Hi

When in process of updating LR to be able to process G9 RW2 files I noticed that Adobe have declared that this will be the last version (unless you subscribe to CC, which I don't). I will hopefully "survive" for some time as the latest/last version of LR supports the RAW formats that I have in my library, however mid/long term I will probably have to do something about this.

What are the options, apart from having to subscribe to CC? Are there any alternatives to LR? Development settings and metadata/tags need to be preserved either importing the LR library and/or the sidecar files with metadata. My library contains 50k+ photos, all with precious user defined tags and development settings.

I should perhaps mention I, previous to LR, used DXO however dropped it as I disliked their licensing policy (they were forcing me to buy a Pro license to read E5 RAW files). Meaning I am not to eager to spend more money on their products.

Or should I concede and accept being billed monthly?

Thanks
Tord

My Gallery on 500px
Old 8th February 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts
Re: Adobe LR - no more updates - options?

Just concede Tord. A few points:

- Software is expensive to develop. The market is littered with companies that went bust.

- If we want continuity then we need to make sure the provider can make money from it.

- Ongoing updates (new cameras, new features etc) are necessary and desirable.

- £10 a month is in reality not expensive. A few cups of Starbucks and certainly cheaper than film and processing.

- For the £10 you also get Photoshop, cloud storage, portfolio software a few other things.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bruce Clarke (8th February 2019), wornish (1st May 2019)
Old 8th February 2019

Liked 2,730 Times in 940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post

- Software is expensive to develop. The market is littered with companies that went bust.

- If we want continuity then we need to make sure the provider can make money from it.

- Ongoing updates (new cameras, new features etc) are necessary and desirable.

- £10 a month is in reality not expensive. A few cups of Starbucks and certainly cheaper than film and processing.

- For the £10 you also get Photoshop, cloud storage, portfolio software a few other things.

I agree with this
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 8th February 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post

- £10 a month is in reality not expensive... and certainly cheaper than film and processing.
= approx 1 roll of HP5 and lab processing, that's 36 shots a month and you can use any old s/w going, complete with DAM. That's my average over 12 months, more in spring, summer and autumn, less in winter.

on flickr
Old 8th February 2019
Senior

Liked 159 Times in 59 Posts

Yes, I also agree. About three pints of beer per month!!

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight••• Lumix: G9 | LX100 ••• Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 ••• Leica: 100-400 | 12-60••• Samyang: 7.5 fisheye ••• Tamron: 14-150 •
Old 8th February 2019

Liked 437 Times in 213 Posts

I bought the last standalone LR. It supports my current cameras but as I know it won’t forever I’m not investing much energy in the asset management features.
I appreciate that the CC plan is good value for money if you use it frequently but for me it doesn’t make financial sense.
I’d also suggest you look closely at the pricing which last time I looked was an annual contract billed monthly. A friend discovered that when he tried to save a few quid by cancelling for a couple of months and was presented with a bill for half a years use and his software inactivated. It was resolved in the end but it isn’t or wasn’t a monthly contract.

As far as alternatives go DXO is supposed to be good but you’ve been there already. I read about Darktable but haven’t tried it myself.
There are various freebie versions or trials of most prouducts.

Olympus have just launched A new free product but I’ve not looked at it from asset management myself. It seemed a better processing package but not really on a par with LR.

As others have said software development is expensive so youll have to pay one way or another if you want the latest and greatest features.
Old 14th February 2019
Stock Shooter

Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts

Until 2009 I did all my post processing on an old version of Photoshop.

Then I bought an EP-1, and found that the only way I could deal with the *.ORF files was to buy Lightroom 3. The old Photoshop could handle the *.ORF files from my E5 and E620. I thought ORF meant ORF, but it did not. Converting the files to DNG did not help either. With nearly 10 years of experience of Lightroom, and processing about 100 images a month, I am used to LR, but really I am committed to it because of the cataloguing system, which would be hard to replace.

I was forced on to Adobe CC a few months ago, and while I manage well enough with it, it is far from trouble free. For example after one update the CC Photoshop refused to connect to my printer. I fixed this by deleting PS 2018 and installing Ps 2017 instead, which works OK.

It has to work for me, but I cannot recommend it as the frequent updates are generally more trouble than they are worth. New CC updates only work with the latest computer operating system, so you may have to update that as well.

I do not think anyone has mentioned Affinity on this thread:

https://www.google.com/search?q=affi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I have no personal experience of it, but it is not too expensive and may be worth a try.

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
Old 14th February 2019

Liked 251 Times in 128 Posts

For what it’s worth. I browsed a copy of Amateur Photographer yesterday and Affinity Photo is their Product of the Year. I use Affinity after years with Photoshop, it’s more than good enough for me. Serif seem to be a vigorous company launching many of their products for iPad and I understand an update to Affinity Photo is in beta development and if history is anything to go by, will be free.

David
Old 14th February 2019

Liked 3,049 Times in 876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
Serif seem to be a vigorous company launching many of their products for iPad and I understand an update to Affinity Photo is in beta development and if history is anything to go by, will be free.
I have been using the beta version for a few weeks now and it seems to work well. I even received an update for it the other day. Affinity Photo is very good and is excellent value for money but I still struggle a bit using it. I should really sit down and work my way through all the tutorial videos but life's too short.

Ron
Old 14th February 2019

Liked 251 Times in 128 Posts

Ron, the other bonus with Affinity is that their own videos are bite-sized. Often only 4-5 minutes long and delivered in a calm manner by a Brit. Completely unlike the ear-wrenching video’s from across the Pond that start with “Hi Guys” followed by crazy intro music.

I’m a total convert - good luck Affinity.

David
Old 14th February 2019

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

I really like Affinity Photo but it is no LR. I did hear a while back that at some stage it would be upgraded to have LR-type attributes........but no sign yet. I would pay extra for this.
BTW, being an infrequent user of photo editing software, Adobe's subscription model is not attractive to me, which is why I went for AP last year. Adobe make too much money as it is. Most of my PS versions were........d*d*y
If I need PS CC, I have it on my work PC.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 14th February 2019

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts

I subscribe to LR & PS, costs £9.98 per month and the updates come in regularly, so I've always got the latest versions. It's the best solution I've had for PP/cataloguing/image management and well worth the small monthly cost for me.

Steve
Old 15th February 2019

Liked 1,393 Times in 359 Posts

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I guess I will stay with LR and purchase a subscription once a camera to be released in future becomes in my posession.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 15th February 2019

Liked 566 Times in 255 Posts

Like some of the other members, I bought a standalone Adobe LR which I still use. In addition to this I also use the Skylum Products: Luminar and Aurora HDR. Luminar is currently offering 29% off the listed price and it runs monthly competitions with some very nice prizes. There is no monthly subscription.

The latest competition is a trip for 2 to Paris....https://skylum.com/blog/new-contest-skylum_couple

https://skylum.com/luminar

I agree with Paul, 9.98 GBP is not much to fork out each month in the scheme of things for an Adobe system. Good luck with whatever you decide on

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
Old 15th February 2019

Liked 3,512 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
I subscribe to LR & PS, costs £9.98 per month and the updates come in regularly, so I've always got the latest versions. It's the best solution I've had for PP/cataloguing/image management and well worth the small monthly cost for me.

Steve
I had an update yesterday, for the Classic version. So unsure why you are saying there are no more updates,,,,,,,,,,,

My Flickr