Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 19th September 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: E520 - stick, wait or upgrade now?

Ok, so if I haven 80-210mm on, then it is 210mm? Or if I have it at 150mm, it is 150mm. Or in fact, is it all doubled anyway for the crop factor...420mm and 300mm?

The Mastering book is going to arrive soon, so maybe that deals with this, as well as the manual...
Old 19th September 2016

Liked 858 Times in 549 Posts

The trouble with using IS on a manual zoom is each time you change the zoom level you have to change the focal length setting for the IS. Use the actual focal length of the lens, not the doubled so if your 80-210 zoom is set to 150mm, use 150mm for the IS setting. You may decide this is so much bother that you just switch IS off and use a faster shutter speed!
Old 20th September 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sorry post yet another question, but I have struggled with one problem today that i can't resolve...how do you set the camera (e M1) to automatically show the last picture you just took on the screen immediately after taking it? I have googled and faffed with the menu but with no luck.

This is a feature I find useful - for checking focus etc.

Meanwhile, my second bacth oftest shots again revealed the OM 1.4 50mm to be really good on this camera, though I will have to start using peaking for closer focus.
I am very impressed by the IQ of the 12 40mm.
Old 20th September 2016

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
Sorry post yet another question, but I have struggled with one problem today that i can't resolve...how do you set the camera (e M1) to automatically show the last picture you just took on the screen immediately after taking it? I have googled and faffed with the menu but with no luck.

This is a feature I find useful - for checking focus etc.
The function is called "Rec View" and you will find it in the Setup Menu (spanner). You can set it to display the shot you have just taken for between 0.3 and 20 seconds. Page 91 of the manual refers.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Snookerman (20th September 2016)
Old 20th September 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Aha. Well, I've rest that to 3 seconds and downloaded the manual. I also read the Darrell Young book, page 483? It says this took him by surprise too, but the pic shows in either the EVK or the monitor nad he was wanting it on the monitor. I am in the habit of removing my eye from the evf after taking the shot, but I left it there, and sure enough the pic comes up in the EVF...

Now the question is, how do I get it to go to the Monitor without messing up my EFV settings if poss?
Old 21st September 2016

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 2,057 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote:
Aha. Well, I've rest that to 3 seconds and downloaded the manual. I also read the Darrell Young book, page 483? It says this took him by surprise too, but the pic shows in either the EVK or the monitor nad he was wanting it on the monitor. I am in the habit of removing my eye from the evf after taking the shot, but I left it there, and sure enough the pic comes up in the EVF...

Now the question is, how do I get it to go to the Monitor without messing up my EFV settings if poss?
You can select Auto (in the same list) & if taken using the EVF it will still display on the screen after backing away (or EVF if returning to look at it there) until you press the shutter button (half press is enough).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 30th September 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It took me two factory resets to sort the problem - both basic. First time it worked then the problem came back....but I got there second time. Maybe something to do with initially setting the Rec Mode whilst I have the dial set to A?

I take it it is normal for the E M1 to make a soft mechanical whirring noise (auto focus?) whilst the 12-40 lens is on?
Old 30th September 2016
Administrator

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,267 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
It took me two factory resets to sort the problem - both basic. First time it worked then the problem came back....but I got there second time. Maybe something to do with initially setting the Rec Mode whilst I have the dial set to A?

I take it it is normal for the E M1 to make a soft mechanical whirring noise (auto focus?) whilst the 12-40 lens is on?
The sensor stabilisation system makes a very faint sound all the time, even when switched off; the sensor is basically suspended electromagnetically.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
raichea (3rd October 2016), Snookerman (30th September 2016)
Old 30th September 2016

Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,293 Posts
Liked 2,333 Times in 1,108 Posts

Interesting I'd rather not have the rec view function on all the time as it gets in the way and slows things down. I'd rather get a review by pushing the review button when and for as long as I want it. Everyone's different I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Snookerman (30th September 2016)

Tags
e520, four thirds