Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 2nd September 2017

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts
Olympus 7-14 pro filter dilemma

Can any advise me please. I have checked out several manufacturers of adapters for this lens for filter holder adapters it seems there can be vignetting at the wider end of the lens i.e. 9-7mm. Which begs the question why spend a grand on a lens that cannot be filtered to the max? Has anyone resolved this? When using a polariser + ND grad + big stopper ? Otherwise I might as well keep my sigma 10-20 f3.5 with metabones.
Kind regards Mike
Old 2nd September 2017

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Olympus 7-14 pro filter dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Can any advise me please. I have checked out several manufacturers of adapters for this lens for filter holder adapters it seems there can be vignetting at the wider end of the lens i.e. 9-7mm. Which begs the question why spend a grand on a lens that cannot be filtered to the max? Has anyone resolved this? When using a polariser + ND grad + big stopper ? Otherwise I might as well keep my sigma 10-20 f3.5 with metabones.
Kind regards Mike
Mike,

I have the Panasonic 7-14 and use a filter holder from Photosphere. It does not vignette at all (with two filters - I suspect it will with three). They have a version for the Olympus 7-14 too. They're based in Singapore and you'll need to order from them there, but they are reputable and I certainly had no problems with my order. It was reasonably fast too.

From their website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photosphere website
A dedicated 100mm slot in filter solution for the Olympus m.ZD ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO lens. Allows 2 guides on holder without vignetting (no rotation of holder). Do check out the instructions for best understanding on how to use this lens properly.

Filter solution consists of

Foam Adapter
Haida 100mm Filter Holder and holder pouch
Lens cap allows the gasket to be mounted and lens and provide some protection while on the move. The foam adapter was designed to fit on Haida 100mm holder

Features:

- No vignette with 2 slots (without rotation, once rotate, vignetting will be induced)

- No light leak (with proper gaskets if purchase our Haida ND filters)

- Strong & secure grip and front loaded from lens for quick mounting

- Light weight (Foam Adapter 30g, Holder 60g)

- 3M adhesive was used for foam & adapter bonding, suited for outdoor weathers (from -54DegC to 82DegC)
https://photospheresg.com/collection...-f2-8-pro-lens

Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
percy (2nd September 2017)
Old 2nd September 2017

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

Thanks Paul, have you tried it, or can you use a circular polariser As well as the two slots for nd filters? Please
Kind regards Mike
Old 2nd September 2017

It's for square filters only so I guess a CPL won't work. To be honest though, I've never found CPLs to work too well with UWA lenses - the sky darkening is not sufficiently uniform.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 3rd September 2017

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Hi, here two more options: https://www.shapeways.com/product/F4...holder-kit-eco
and: https://www.wilkinson.co.uk/lee-filt...-100mm-system/
Old 3rd September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Thanks Paul, have you tried it, or can you use a circular polariser As well as the two slots for nd filters? Please
Kind regards Mike
I only ever use one filter - a 10-stop ND or an ND grad. Never both together. If I use the 10-stop, I always use Live Time and use a black card jiggled in front of the lens to bring the sky exposure down. It's much more effective than an ND grad since you can get much more correction and also avoid any hard line in the image. You also get to see what the image will look like as you take it. Here's a good example:

Sprague Lake by Paul Kaye, on Flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
IainMacD (3rd September 2017), Mdb2 (3rd September 2017), pault (3rd September 2017), steverh (3rd September 2017)
Old 3rd September 2017
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I only ever use one filter - a 10-stop ND or an ND grad. Never both together. If I use the 10-stop, I always use Live Time and use a black card jiggled in front of the lens to bring the sky exposure down. It's much more effective than an ND grad since you can get much more correction and also avoid any hard line in the image. You also get to see what the image will look like as you take it.
That's a great idea!

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright