Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 30th November 2013

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
Ibis/s-is

Sorry very remiss of me. The title should read:
IBIS/S-IS.

One of the nicest things I've found about the menu system on the M-1 is the provision of information for some of the settings. For instance I remember having to refer to the E-5 manual to work out what each IBIS setting did. With the M-1 information stating what each setting does is given.
I now have to admit that I had just stuck mine on auto. However until 10 minutes ago when I sat down with my camera for another explore I hadn't realised that I'd selected option 5, (option 1 being "Off") which is S-IS Auto for Landscape Panning I.S.
I haven't done any landscape panning yet and I'm wondering if my chosen S-IS setting was the cause of some unexpectedly blurred pictures of static objects I've experienced.
What are the thoughts on using the S-IS all of the time?
My thinking was that I.S. is for long lenses, low light or long exposure shots.
I'm now going to try using the M-1 with I.S. set to "Off" for a while to see the results. At the moment I have a nagging feeling that some of my pictures are not quite as sharp as those taken with my E-5 with the I.S. set to Auto.

BTW I have updated the firmware to 1.1 but have yet to properly compare its affect on AF.

Steve

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!

Last edited by paullus; 30th November 2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Attempt to capitalize title
Old 30th November 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Ibis/s-is

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullus View Post
[SIZE=1]However until 10 minutes ago when I sat down with my camera for another explore I hadn't realised that I'd selected option 5, (option 1 being "Off") which is S-IS Auto for Landscape Panning I.S.
I haven't done any landscape panning yet and I'm wondering if my chosen S-IS setting was the cause of some unexpectedly blurred pictures of static objects I've experienced.
my understanding is that this setting will effectively switch off the horizontal axis IS function ie the camera believes that movements in that plane are deliberate because that's what you have told it!

as such, if your images required IS 'support' then yes, it could result in blurring, or, more specifically, it could fail to take care of such blurring. it won't actually create it.

I've now put mine in straightforward Auto and leave it - I've done enough macro/moon shots to be comfortable that it's clever enough to work when needed and not interfere when it's not.

I haven't tested panned shots in this mode (motorsport being the classic) yet though, and if I was to shoot such an event would probably switch to the mode you accidentially had set!
Old 1st December 2013

Liked 74 Times in 45 Posts

I have just started to use the focal length adjustment on IS-1 I wonder how that affects the system?
Old 1st December 2013

Liked 3,079 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
I have just started to use the focal length adjustment on IS-1 I wonder how that affects the system?
Do you mean setting the focal length for the lens? I assume you are not using m4/3 or 4/3 lenses as it is not designed to work with them.

Ron
Old 1st December 2013

Liked 74 Times in 45 Posts

[QUOTE=Olybirder;267186]Do you mean setting the focal length for the lens? I assume you are not using m4/3 or 4/3 lenses as it is not designed to work with them.

Ron[/QUOTE

Well in a way that is great because it means the system is nice and simple. On the other hand it is glaringly obvious that I have not read the manual!

Overall I like the benefits of the former! Many thanks Olybirder!

Jonathan
Old 1st December 2013

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

I have been trying my Leica 280mm visoflex lens with a viso/LM adapter and my first efforts were quite blurry until I set the focal length correctly. The improvement was dramatic! The IBIS works remarkably well with long FL lenses.
Old 1st December 2013

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

I used to shoot a pentax many years ago, it to has inbody anti shake, again with that I found it was imperative to input the correct FL, it has to be the actual focal length of the lens, not the equivalent FL.

I even used it at prime focus on a 1200mm FL telescope via a T mount adaptor and the anti shake worked perfectly, reducing the effects of wind shake on the telescope.