Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 17th August 2008

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts
Cheap legacy lens part 2

For a while I tried using legacy lenses on my E400, with mixed results. I kept getting the feeling that I could do better somehow..

I eventually discovered that my Katzeye screen doesn't focus at the same point as the sensor, thus my best efforts at manual focus were always very slightly out. Huh!.

Depressed with this, I sold my collection of old lenses and put the money towards a Zuiko 50mm macro - which is one sharp lens!

Anyway, I kept my Nikon - 4/3rds adapter. I eventually gave way to Cheap Glass Syndrome again last week. This is a Tamron 135mm f2.5, bought for 27 on ebay. Its an old school 4 element plain and simple design. The picture is not exactly high art, but I think the lens shows promise.

Now that I have learnt to focus just slightly beyond the target, maybe I can get some good images using the old glass method...

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 18th August 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cheap legacy lens part 2

Are you still using the KatzEye Pete?

If so, it might be worth trying some shims to adjust the screen slightly. The one I had on my E500 seemed fine OotB, but I know some people have had to use the KE supplied shim and add another to get the screen in exactly the right position.
Old 18th August 2008

Hugh

Hi there.. Yes, I still use the Katzeye:

I bought the Katzeye last year and inserted their micro shim and all seemed well. The screen went in no problems and was completely dust free, though I was always slightly unhappy with my focus accuracy. A few months ago I discovered it was definitely out of agreement with the sensor, so I swapped back to the original screen, picking up some dust on the way :-(

Obviously the original Olympus screen was no help with manual lenses, plus the dust in the viewfinder drove me mad, so I swapped back to the Katzeye picking up yet more dust and some grit on the way. I tried it without the shim, but it was not really any better. I got depressed and sold the manual lenses but stuck with the Katzeye 'cos the dust and marks on the Olympus screen were even worse than the view through the Katzeye screen.

In fact I took it out one last time and gave it a very careful clean with air blower and brush. Its still got one speck of grit stuck to the pentamirror that annoys me but I can't get rid of it no matter how I try.

Is there a moral in this? Well, if you manage to change screens and get a completely dust free view: Count yourself lucky and leave it like that. The more you swap screens and experiment, the more dust you get in the viewfinder :-(

(I have to point out the focus offset is microscopic - but it annoys me)

Pete

Old 18th August 2008
Xpres

Pete - thanks!
I've been ummin' an' arin' for a couple of years about a split screen and now you've put my mind at rest. I've always managed OK but kept coming back to the idea thinking I was missing something. So I was... the dust.
The old glass madness comes over me now and again and I pick up a load of 'cheap glass' and then get rid of it again as you did, but I seem to hang on to a core few which grows with each attack.
It's frustrating but fun.
Here's one from yesterday. A Tamron 31A at 500mm f5.6

Old 18th August 2008

Hi there.. Nice picture!

Maybe I am just a cheapskate, but there is something satisfying about getting a decent picture from old cheap glass - plus old lenses are so well made compared to modern plastic jobs

You are probably better off with the plain screen if you can get sharp images without a focus aid. I find that by f3.5 and smaller, I have problems with the split screen and microprism. To use a Katzeye I need to be thinking f2.8 or bigger...

Pete

Old 19th August 2008
mike_j

this is one area where live view really helps. I can just focus a 50mm but cannot focus with sufficient accuracy using my tamron 90mm lens on the viewfinder screen even using a magnifying angle finder. Live view, magnified, gives superb focusing.
Old 19th August 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

It's been interesting to read this thread. Whilst I am impressed at Olympus for providing legacy-lens support, I can't help thinking they are shooting themselves in the foot as they produce some of the best glass around. Pete's own comments re the ZD 50mm seem to bear this out.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 19th August 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Frankly, the only reason I bought into 4/3rds in the first place was because of the ability to use my OM legacy lenses. I have never forgiven Oly for leaving their users in the lurch after the introduction of the OM4, but I felt the ability to use legacy glass was a real plus. Unfortunately, it wasn't until I'd already bought an E500 twin-lens kit and MF-1 adaptor that I really understood what the 2x crop factor meant in terms of my collection of wide angles.

I still enjoy using those of my old lenses I still have occasionally (I sold the WAs to get an E1), but there are indeed few that match the current lenses - and it would be surprising if there were, given advances in technology and design. In good conditions, however, something that now costs the price of a takeaway meal can give something costing several hundred pounds a run for its money.
Old 19th August 2008
mike_j

I think the review of the 12-60mm on dpreview says it very well

Quote:
This is a design which would have been almost unimaginable even five years ago; a 5x wideangle to telephoto zoom which, though the use of some exotic optics, manages to perform almost flawlessly across its entire range, and throws in some impressive macro performance too.
Full review at http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._o20/page4.asp

Is is good to use the old lenses though and as only the centre part of the image is used the results can be very pleasing. My biggest surprise has been how well my old "Long Tom" 500mm (simple long lens - not telephoto) has performed.

I'm looking forward to using my Leica rangefinder lenses on m4/3 (is that the standard abbreviation?) before too long.
Old 19th August 2008

FWIW I have a lens mangling page on my web site

http://www.snaar.co.uk/lenses/

There are some rough and ready test chart shots and details of my experiences with various Nikkors, Hexanons and Tamrons this last year.

BTW - Any other Hexanon lens manglers on the forum?

Pete

Old 19th August 2008
Xpres

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
BTW - Any other Hexanon lens manglers on the forum?

Pete
Oh yes indeed Pete.

28, 50/1.7, 40/1.8 and 135. All 'mangled', although I used a neoprene spacer which helps it stay on the camera without using the lock. It's then fairly easy to convert them back for use on a Konica.
The 40 and 50/1.7 are pretty decent.

I have a fair few MF wide angles from 20mm which I do use on 4/3 on occasion, but use hyperfocal focusing which works well although best not to go past f8 due to the diffusion. Using the screen for close focus isn't too bad. In fact my 410 mostly has a 24mm zuiko or 28mm leica fitted.
Old 20th August 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
Oh yes indeed Pete.

28, 50/1.7, 40/1.8 and 135. All 'mangled', although I used a neoprene spacer which helps it stay on the camera without using the lock.
I've been looking for something like that for a 40mm 1.8 I acquired on Fleabay a few weeks ago. I like Pete's PCB spacer technique, but I don't fancy having to spend ages filing it down to the right size... Can I ask where you found the neoprene spacer???
Old 20th August 2008
Xpres

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
... Can I ask where you found the neoprene spacer???
Made it from a mouse mat in fact which was just the right thickness - remember it will compress between lens and mount so must be thicker than just the gap. Cut out with a circle cutter ( 3 ebay if you search). Save the aperture arm and baffle for converting back later and make a new baffle - from the neoprene if you like - and your done.
Old 20th August 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
Made it from a mouse mat in fact which was just the right thickness - remember it will compress between lens and mount so must be thicker than just the gap.
Thanks. I know just the sort of thing you mean. A rummage thru the spares bin is in order!
Old 20th August 2008
mike_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
FWIW I have a lens mangling page on my web site

http://www.snaar.co.uk/lenses/

Pete
I like your test chart - do you know if it available to buy anywhere?